Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum

Digital Photography Forum Focuses on digital photography from a web development standpoint, such as tips for better product photography, lighting, optimizing photographs for web use, best digital camera choices, etc. Additionally, we encourage you to show off your personal shots!

Share |
Old 09-06-2006, 08:31 AM
No Longer Active

Thumbs down What Helps You Learn?

One of the biggest reasons I begged John for this forum is that often people do not have the confidence to post pictures they have taken or the courage to ask newbie type questions in many of the professional photography forums.

I wanted this forum to be a place where we could have fun taking pictures, learn some great tips from each other, and improve our photography skills in a more casual setting.

The best learning tip for me has been to lose the fear of making mistakes by taking literally thousands of pictures, and to keep asking questions until I understand the techniques needed for something I am trying to accomplish.

What things have helped you learn to improve your pictures?

Last edited by Cricket; 09-06-2006 at 08:34 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Banned

the best way to learn is to listen to what the experts say and ingest it.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:47 AM
No Longer Active

Some of us find it necessary to respect the experts before we can begin to hear what they have to say...

Old 09-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Banned

yes well im not trying to be offensive

and regardless of possessing a pistol wit, you dont need to respect a someone when they warn you a trap is in front of you

Old 09-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

The best way to learn is to do it yourself. I work as a photographer and take photos mainly of tourism related things. A lot of so called "professional" photos are in my opinion, rubbish. I could show you hundreds of tricks to help get the best tourism related photographs. But ask me for tips on underwater photos, and I won't have a clue. So try things yourself, get a speciality, enjoy it, and then try even more.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:58 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko
... regardless of possessing a pistol wit, you dont need to respect a someone when they warn you a trap is in front of you
I haven't come across too many traps here in the V7N community but I will keep your advice in mind just in case.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Banned

it was an analogy ma-am

Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bradley
The best way to learn is to do it yourself. I work as a photographer and take photos mainly of tourism related things. A lot of so called "professional" photos are in my opinion, rubbish. I could show you hundreds of tricks to help get the best tourism related photographs. But ask me for tips on underwater photos, and I won't have a clue. So try things yourself, get a speciality, enjoy it, and then try even more.
You just said something that totally caught my attention. I think perhaps I assumed that a photographer is good at taking all pictures regardless of the subject...

I am starting to realize this isn't necessarily true.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 AM
No Longer Active

No worries gecko.

An example of what I meant:
I have seen a ton of Stephen's photos recently and am totally impressed with his work. Because of this, he has absolutely earned my respect as a photographer so when he gives me photography advice, I definitely listen, because I want to learn to take pictures as well as he does!

Heck, if guys like Stephen or DaveyBoy (and many others) told me to turn my camera upside down to take pictures, I would probably give it a try!

Old 09-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Banned

there is really only three parts to photography

choosing a subject
choosing how you frame the picture/angle
lighting

master those are you are golden

Old 09-07-2006, 04:26 PM

i think to many people worry about the camera, they have, i think i have an OK camera, there are better out there, people are shocked at some of it's specs, but they take it the wrong way, many ameatures think that megapixels are important, but they truely are not. what's important is the CCD, it's size, and quality.
The thing that makes a good photo, is the person behind the camera, i think it is important to know abit about your subject first.. an example in my mind is a runner, alot of photographers might take a photo of them running down a track, with them fully in frame, what i think is important is to catch something in the image which is important about them, so you could get up close, and use a slow shutter speed (not to slow, to catch one foot still, and the other slightly blured, as whats imporant to a runner is there feet.

thats just my opinon, but what do i know!

Old 09-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

I think the best way to learn is to just go out and DO. Take tons of pictures, ask questions, ask opinions (hopefully from people who are sensitive when they answer) and refine your skills. With digital being so mainstream, you don't even have to worry about developing the photos, you can look on your monitor and delete what you don't like.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum