Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum

Digital Photography Forum Focuses on digital photography from a web development standpoint, such as tips for better product photography, lighting, optimizing photographs for web use, best digital camera choices, etc. Additionally, we encourage you to show off your personal shots!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Yahoo Angers Photographers By Selling Their Work

If you post your photos to Flickr you might want to read this:
Quote:
...Yahoo has upset Flickr users as it sells their photos and keeps all the profit, but at the same time is not actually doing anything legally wrong, according to the company and the EFF.

It would seem that Yahoo is trying to make better use of the content it hosts in terms of turning it into a revenue stream. This stream should be at its peak during the holiday season.

Last week, the company launched Flickr Wall Art, enabling users to turn their personal photostreams into prints, search from over 50 million “freely-licensed Creative Commons images, and order hand-selected collections from Flickr’s licensed artists.”...
Yahoo Angers Photographers By Selling Their Work

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

If they are only selling
Quote:
the company launched Flickr Wall Art, enabling users to turn their personal photostreams into prints, search from over 50 million “freely-licensed Creative Commons images,
then it is probably legal. I knew that when I agreed to the service. Though if I recall correctly that is supposed to include a photo credit.

When and if they use an "all rights reserved" image they have for sure crossed the line.

Just my worth.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

These days stuff like these don't surprise me ..& it feels like how much can you go down just to fulfill your monetary interest .

Old 12-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Administrator

The Flickr/Creative Commons Photo Flap

Plagiarism Today has chimed in about the whole Flickr situation:

Quote:
For about a month, Flickr has offered a program Wall Art, where users can order large, commercial-quality prints and photo books of either their own photos or images from a curated collection provided by Flickr.

Though relatively new, Flickr has been quickly ramping up the product. On the fifteenth they announced that they were shipping globally and launching a 40% off sale for the holidays.

However, another move made shortly after that has angered a lot of their users and caused many to question the logic of their decision. That decision was to add Creative Commons images that allowed commercial reuse to the curated gallery, making them available for sale automatically, without a commission being paid to the photographer.
The Flickr/Creative Commons Photo Flap

Quote:
The recent controversy over Flickr’s sale of Creative Commons-licensed works as wall art has many artists and photographers, on Flickr and elsewhere, rethinking the terms of their Creative Commons licenses.

But if you do happen to decide to change or remove your Creative Commons License, what does that actually mean? Can you revoke a Creative Commons License and, if so, what does it mean when you do?
Can You Revoke a Creative Commons License?

Old 12-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Administrator

An Update on Flickr Wall Art

Official announcement from Flickr:
Quote:
...Subsequently, we’ll work closely with Creative Commons to come back with programs that align better with our community values.

The Wall Art service will continue to be available, but will not tap into Creative Commons-licensed images. You’ll still be able to order Wall Art from your own photostream, as well as the work of Flickr’s licensed artists, who are part of the Flickr Marketplace. If you want your work to appear in the Flickr Marketplace, you can sign up here to be considered and a member of the Flickr curation team will reach out if your work is a good fit...
An Update on Flickr Wall Art

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum