Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Domain Name Forum Discuss or get help with domain name issues. Ask for suggestions, etc.

Share |
Old 12-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Administrator

GoDaddy Supports SOPA – Here’s How To Transfer Your Domains

Quote:
GoDaddy.com, one of the most popular domain name registrars, has come out in support of SOPA – The Stop Online Piracy Act.

Adam Savage, of Mythbusters fame, eloquently summed up SOPA in his Popular Mechanics column:
Quote:
“[SOPA] would allow for the wholesale elimination of entire websites, domain names, and chunks of the DNS (the underlying structure of the whole Internet), based on nothing more than the “good faith” assertion by a single party that the website is infringing on a copyright of the complainant. The accused doesn’t even have to be aware that the complaint has been made. “
Continued: GoDaddy Supports SOPA – Here’s How To Transfer Your Domains - SitePoint

GoDaddy's testimonial is here: Here Is Godaddy’s Statement In Support Of The Stop Online Privacy Act House Hearing Tomorrow - Novenber 15/11

And here is another article about the Boycott: GoDaddy Faces Boycott Over SOPA Support

What do you think? Has Bob Parsons (GoDaddy CEO) really done it this time and ruined his business?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Continued: GoDaddy Supports SOPA – Here’s How To Transfer Your Domains - SitePoint

GoDaddy's testimonial is here: Here Is Godaddy’s Statement In Support Of The Stop Online Privacy Act House Hearing Tomorrow - Novenber 15/11

And here is another article about the Boycott: GoDaddy Faces Boycott Over SOPA Support

What do you think? Has Bob Parsons (GoDaddy CEO) really done it this time and ruined his business?
I certainly hope so. GoDaddy sucks. Especially their web hosting.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Administrator

According to this article on Mashable GoDaddy has withdrawn it's support: BREAKING: GoDaddy No Longer Supports SOPA

GoDaddy's statement here: Go Daddy No Longer Supports SOPA Dec. 23, 2011

Old 12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

GD no longer supports SOPA because they will loss their customer. Too late and not consistent...

Old 12-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

They were real close to losing more than a few from me. I am totally against piracy, phishing and online scams, but this bill is not the way to do it. Let's do it within the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I knew i should of read this thread this morning before i went to work. I missed all the news just till now.

I just register domains with Godaddy and don't really care about anything else they do. lol

Godaddy is huge and well, think about your customers because they can find another business in a heartbeat.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post

I just register domains with Godaddy and don't really care about anything else they do. lol

I find it difficult to support companies that do not support the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. I cancelled a membership in AARP because I could not contribute in any small way way to some of their political causes. It takes a million old butts like me before we are noticed by the large corporations.

Okay, off the soap box and back to our regular programing.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Administrator

I saw on Twitter that Wikipedia is moving their domains away from GoDaddy.

There is a snapshot of Wikipedia's tweet (and others) in this post: GoDaddy “no longer supports sopa” after Cheezburger, Wikipedia, & others threaten boycott

Old 12-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Contributing Member

This was just the last straw. I moved like 75+ domains away from them today. I almost moved them over the shooting elephants video came out but got busy. This time I just bit the bullet and moved them.

While I am sure GoDaddy will survive this latest stupid act on their part it will be interesting to see if it does make a difference to their business.

Edit: Forgot to mention that apparently GoDaddy is calling customers now asking them to stay. I can't confirm this but it is interesting.
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2011/1...-them-to-stay/

Old 12-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

Last I heard Bob Parsons sold out. Probably sucking martinis in the Caribbean some where. What ever he is doing, will not affect him. Probably knew it was in the wind. The USA congress wants to copy China do they? I guess China is the biggest debt holder. Scary stuff. Could ruin a lot of people and business. The big get bigger.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Contributing Member

Hello, GoDaddy is like big dragon, would like to eat you and your money. I use GoDaddy simply only for domain registration.
Once, they have charged me for service I didn't asked for. But, they gived me back money. I never got any problems with honesty of GoDaddy. However, you have to be very carefull when ordering something as, they offer you tons of other services, you do not need.
And...usually I am hunting for savings there. By the way, they have got now 31% off (no minimum order) expires Monday, December 26, 2011 at midnight (Mountain Time). Place source code gdz1229v in your cart when you order. I will use this saving to renew one of my domains, for a year.
Mery Christmas

Old 12-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Contributing Member

Here is another question. Will V7N and the other domains held by Escalate Media that are at GoDaddy be transferred because of GoDaddy's support for SOPA and PIPA?

Just curious?

Old 12-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

I will be transferring my domains shortly. I will happily show folks that I put my money where my mouth is when it comes to the market punishing bad actors better than government. I cannot support a company that is actively trying to undermine my liberties.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

... and it's done. </washes hands of godaddy>

Old 01-03-2012, 06:21 AM

I am not sure GoDaddy can die from this. However, lots of customers will run away from it. That was a very bad decision and they deserve to "suffer" but changing their mind does not solve the problem. Once they said in the first place that they support the idea, this is done for ever. People will not forget.

PS: very good for those who chose to protest! This is how all the people should react to every abuse.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:49 AM

I dumped GoDaddy for InMotion. Didn't really want to sign up with them (GoDaddy) in the first place but they are the cheapest. I also think they are deceiving customers too.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

If it weren't for the price, I don't know that I'd have my domains with GoDaddy, especially not if they were going to continue supporting SOPA. Good on Wiki and Cheezburger... they knew how to get the point across

Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Last I heard GoDaddy does not support SOPA. I have my domains at my own registry HOSTNHUB. Reseller for Godaddy. Its been handy. All the same features with out all the advertising. I will not be transferring any domains at this point. The new CEO at GoDaddy states they will only support SOPA when the internet community does. That is not going to happen.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Is Wikipedia Leaving GoDaddy Or Not?

Geez, more news about this.

Quote:
Did GoDaddy’s denouncement of SOPA/PIPA change the online encyclopedia’s point of view on the domain registrar or are the folks who run Wikipedia being selective about the next place they register their domain?

As of now, thanks to the ByeDaddy search engine, a list of the top 100 searched domains still with GoDaddy reveals Wikipedia.org in the top spot, as well as a host — pun intended — of other sites you wouldn’t expect to frequent a SOPA-supporting company with such direct ties to the Internet. Sites like XKCD.com, UrbanDictionary, WordPress, Penny Arcade, TV Tropes, and Groveshark are just a few of the companies paying GoDaddy for their registrar service.

Perhaps the thinking is GoDaddy’s immunity from SOPA-related shutdowns will trickle down to domains that registered with GoDaddy. As for Wikipedia,
Continued at: http://www.webpronews.com/is-wikiped...or-not-2012-01

Let's say they move to another place and then that place decides to support Sopa?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum