Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Domain Name Forum Discuss or get help with domain name issues. Ask for suggestions, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

A short to the point and easier to remember domain is best if you can find one that's available.

It really doesn't matter for seo how long or short your domain is. But keep it as short as possible for your site visitors.

Chad

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 12:49 AM

It all comes down to common sense. Think about your users. Most people can't remember phone numbers let alone complex long domain names./

Correct that there is some buzz about exact match domain lengths with Google but come back to basics and think of your client who may have to type this in to their browser. Most of the people here on this site are probably speed typists and think nothing of typing long domain names and long emails / comments for that matter (!!!) but a punchy domain name that will help people remember (and perhaps smile and share with others) is far more important than exact match and length in the long run - and we are all here for the long run right!!

Kieran

Last edited by GrangeWeb; 09-18-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes duh

Old 09-18-2013, 03:28 AM
Banned

Shorter domain names are nice which are keyword rich, also this depends on the memory of the user.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPS9 View Post
Shorter domain names are nice which are keyword rich, also this depends on the memory of the user.
Having the user remember the domain is helpful but I think the keyword is more useful in the end. You want the domain to show up in all relevant Google searches.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

the shorter is better. But that is not always the best, more catchy is better. Sample case readwriteweb dot com

Old 11-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

my domain name is grasshoppergardenservices.co.uk and it uses a main keyword in the title but would this be picked up because it is one long word or should it have had - between garden and services and looked more like grasshopper-garden-services.co.uk

i also have used these other domain name with keywords in them
lawn-mowing.co.uk
grasshopper-lawn-care.co.uk
grasshopper-grounds-maintenance.co.uk
these are forward to the revelant pages in my site . is this the wright way to do it.

Last edited by snakeair; 11-21-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: merged posts - use edit feature

Old 11-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppersean View Post
my domain name is grasshoppergardenservices.co.uk and it uses a main keyword in the title but would this be picked up because it is one long word or should it have had - between garden and services and looked more like grasshopper-garden-services.co.uk

i also have used these other domain name with keywords in them
lawn-mowing.co.uk
grasshopper-lawn-care.co.uk
grasshopper-grounds-maintenance.co.uk
these are forward to the revelant pages in my site . is this the wright way to do it.
Any feedback on the opening post in this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennoia89 View Post
Hello!

I want to ask if you think that a site name should have the less lenght possible or not.

In my opinion, I think that nowadays is much less common to type the website directly in the url navigation (because google and bookmarking), and if I do, normally I use the autocomplete.
So, sometimes could be usefull to have a domain name with more lenght and gain some words for SEO because of the keywords in the link. What do you think?Best regards

Old 11-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Any feedback on the opening post in this thread?
sorry should my last comment been in its own post. i find autocomplete finishes web address when i type them in so a longer web address name is no problem to me if it is memorable.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:34 PM

Shorter is better. Because easy to remember.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

These days, its pretty difficult to get short .com domain names with 8 or less character, and having good keyword in it. However, as far as SEO is concerned, it really doesn't matter. I had a domain with 15 characters, but it had whole search term in it and also the users searching for it in the google was pretty high. It gained 200 unique visitors from google search in no time. Within 2 months I was gaining 200-400 consistent traffic from google without even posting any good content just on the mere seo. However, later google found it and then you can guess the result, what happened. 0 traffics since then through google. So, point here is in terms of seo it really don't matter.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

The length of the domain doesn't really matter if you have good content. If you were to sell your site, what would be more valuable? A short domain name or a site with good traffic and conversions?

Old 11-25-2013, 04:36 AM
Banned

You should wrote it in this way, Now-a-days it is easy to rank a website with long domain name due to search engines and bookmarkings, but being a brand of any type you have to keep the domain name as short as possible.. thanks

Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 AM
Banned

For people to remember your website, you should have small and catchy Domain name which should be related to your business.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:20 AM

For better results domain length should be short, it shouldn't be very lengthy. The standard length of a domain is 26 character but the earlier version of Netscape and IE accept domains upto 67 characters.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:03 PM

I also prefer shorter domain name as it better for branding and adverts. Easier to remember and to type - also assigne to the main reasons. Just one disadvantage for short domain name that it is usually way costly then longer name.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:04 PM

Forget SEO when choosing a domain name - choose what makes the most sense for your brand and your visitors. I think easy to remember and easy to spell are much more important than trying to find a short domain name.

I sometimes use domainsbot - type in your brand name and business type (or keywords) then add some synonyms. Sometimes it comes up with some good domain names I wouldn't have thought of (plus it lets you know if they're available or not).

Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 AM

Don't make it too long if possible (12 chars maximum), shorter names are easier to remember and also from a SEO standpoint it gets the upper-hand compared to longer domains.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeQ View Post
Of course, you should keep your domain name short but it should easily be remembered, your domain should include the main word, keyword related to your business so that people would easily know the relevancy.
I wouldn't go for the keyword in the domain name unless your company name is taken in a domain sense. Names should be branded if you're going to market your company and adding a keyword explaining what you do doesn't help it.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:50 AM

In Domain length 2-3 word is enough, even best if you include your keyword in it, short domain is good to remember.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

I think it also depends on how easy it is to remember, whether the domain name is short or long enough.
My point is that there are "lengthy" domain names but are hard to forget. Especially if the words used are catchy enough to remember or forget.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Closed Thread