Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Domain Name Forum Discuss or get help with domain name issues. Ask for suggestions, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 AM

Domain name length

Hello!

I want to ask if you think that a site name should have the less lenght possible or not.

In my opinion, I think that nowadays is much less common to type the website directly in the url navigation (because google and bookmarking), and if I do, normally I use the autocomplete.
So, sometimes could be usefull to have a domain name with more lenght and gain some words for SEO because of the keywords in the link. What do you think?

Best regards

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

The shorter domain length, the easier it is to remember. Plus, it has more value in the case you want to sell it. So it isn't always about SEO.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennoia89 View Post
Hello!

I want to ask if you think that a site name should have the less lenght possible or not.

In my opinion, I think that nowadays is much less common to type the website directly in the url navigation (because google and bookmarking), and if I do, normally I use the autocomplete.
So, sometimes could be usefull to have a domain name with more lenght and gain some words for SEO because of the keywords in the link. What do you think?

Best regards
As far as SEO is concerned, dont worry about the length. You are also correct that people dont type in the full names these days, thanks to autocomplete.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit-oberoi View Post
As far as SEO is concerned, dont worry about the length. You are also correct that people dont type in the full names these days, thanks to autocomplete.
The length doesn't impact SEO but it does affect visitor memory. If they can memorize a shorter domain name, it is a better way of getting them as repeat visitors.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Banned

In my opinion short domain name is much more better than more lengthy one. It does not effect on SEO, instead it helps for seo.. You can get a good brand name and promote your brand over the world. That would more helps and remains stable.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:24 AM
Banned

Keep the domain name short and snappy if possible. If you notice some of the most popular sites on the net ie. google.com, ebay.com, facebook.com, bbc.com, amazon.com twitter.com they are all short and easy to remember.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Of course, you should keep your domain name short but it should easily be remembered, your domain should include the main word, keyword related to your business so that people would easily know the relevancy.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 PM

Its better to have domain with keywords.It helps a lot.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by molasis View Post
Its better to have domain with keywords.It helps a lot.
Be careful with keyword domains.

http://searchengineland.com/low-qual...-target-134889

Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 AM
v7n Mentor

Hey Ennoia,

I think the answer really depends. You want your name to be memorable but that doesn't always mean shorter. For example if I was selling hardwood flooring and had a choice between an acronym "hwf .com" and "hardwoodflooring .com" I think that the longer would be more memorable.

When you see examples like "google" and "twitter" I think you have to keep in mind the kind of advertising budgets that have contributed to making these names memorable.

And, although I'm guilty of it in my own example, I'd pay close attention to what Snake had to say about keyword domains.

I think you want to choose a name that is short as possible but that still conveys some meaning in and of itself.

Billy

Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 PM

Yes Short Domain Is Very Nice . Many Peoples Just Learn And Save in the reminder .

Old 06-26-2013, 01:46 AM
Banned

Well, most of the short domain names are either registered or they are more costly. Its better to have a long domain names as long term keywords plays a significant role in improving the page rankings and searches.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:40 AM

with all emd and pmd updates, the name itself is less and less valuable
the brand is what counts most

Old 07-19-2013, 01:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennoia89 View Post
Hello!

Best regards
Domain Name should not be longer than 26 characters because some browsers may not accomidate it the 26 characters include the "www." prefix and the ".com" suffix?
Thanks.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spygovind View Post
Domain Name should not be longer than 26 characters because some browsers may not accomidate it the 26 characters include the "www." prefix and the ".com" suffix?
Thanks.
I can assure you most of the popular browsers EVERYONE uses will support 26+ characters in the domain.

Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, etc. all support this.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Be careful with keyword domains.

searchengineland dot com/low-quality-exact-match-domains-are-googles-next-target-134889
That article just proves that keyword-heavy domain names can STILL be useful assuming it's for a real website with worthwhile content.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Domain which have no keywords are usually short and easy to remember, however keyword based domain names go longer in characters according to my personal experience, e.g. facebook, google plus, twitter, linkedin etc domains do not contain social network keyword in them, while they have good rank in SEO.
People like to have keyword based domain names so that users could know what the website is for.
The length of a domain name must be as short as it could be to remember whether it contains keywords or not. The popularity of a website is increased through traffic. Domain name however should be a TLD Top Level Domain i.e. with .com or .org extension.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 PM

Focus more on your brand then a keyword domain, keywords domains sell well though if its single word keywords but if its for SEO then branding is much better.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

Shorter domain names, because they are easier to remember.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

I go for shorter domain if its available. If i have no choice but to use long ones, i will use hyphen bet. some words. for example my-veryveryvery-longdomain.com.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Closed Thread