Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Domain Name Forum Discuss or get help with domain name issues. Ask for suggestions, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 08-20-2013, 06:23 AM

Branding - my name or keyword based domain name?

Hi all,

I need some advice on what kind of domain name I should go with.....

I'm creating a blog/website around affiliate/internet marketing but I'm unsure whether to brand myself using my own name or should I be using a keyword based name to help me with my rankings?

I feel I should go with my own name and hope that my content alone will attract viewers. Any advice would be very welcome....

Kind Regards,

David J Thorne

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 AM

If you brand your name it will allow you to cover more subjects should the need arise...

You can do both ...if you want to spend the time and effort...

Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J Thorne View Post
I feel I should go with my own name and hope that my content alone will attract viewers. Any advice would be very welcome....
That would be a great way to distinguish yourself from all the other keyword based name sites that are in that market niche. Content is king.
(for maximum impact also use other ways to promote your site, though)

Old 09-05-2013, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J Thorne View Post
I'm creating a blog/website around affiliate/internet marketing but I'm unsure whether to brand myself using my own name or should I be using a keyword based name to help me with my rankings?

David, I would be really surprised if you could find a domain for keyword in the internet marketing niche. Most of them are not available, at least not for cheap.

Another thing you need to consider is, what are your goals. If you want to build a name for yourself, and position yourself as an expert, you should use you own name. This way you can earn money as a consultant, write a book, or even make an audio program. Even if you want to earn with affiliate programs, people will probably believe you more if you present yourself as their friend (and expert) who recommends them the product.

On the other side, if you need short-term solution, like for some current promotion or your strategy is to build many small websites etc. you should take some keyword domain, if you find any.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Contributing Member

I would say it would be good if your brand tells the niche/purpose of the website instead of going with the model of John Cow....

TechBlog
SEOBlog etc.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

I'd say go for the brand. It's easier to market and it's less spammy. EMD (Exact Match Domain) have way less impact in SERPs than they used to.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:13 PM

I would go for both

One your money site that focuses on your brand mainly and one a blog that reviews products related to your money site.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Brand yourself with your own name would be better in the long run but harder to get organic traffic, especially in the beginning. If this would be something you see yourself still doing after 5 years then it should work out well. If you would also actively advertise you website, things should move forward quicker, assuming your content it's worth it. I'd take MikeQ advice as well.

I personally have a website of which domain name is unrelated to the service (branding route) and it was damn hard to get it rank but after a few years at it, ranks well for a very competitive keyword so it works, while I see the keyword domains rank several pages behind me.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

If your content would attract viewers then you can go with your brand name. Content must be useful, informative and natural.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

If you can brand with your own name and become a huge hit, you will have set yourself up for ultimate brand recognition. That said, a lot of work goes into making the brand a huge hit.

If you want the easy way out, use a generic name.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 AM

Branding isn't exactly conducive to domain name choice anymore. Personally, if you're insisting on basing your brand off domain or vice versa (especially with these category extensions rolling out), you'll waste a bunch of money for nothing.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:45 AM

Good advice above. Brand your site for long term benefit. Keyword stuff for a quick fix of organic search traffic. That isn't to say that one is better than the other, it just depends on what you want to achieve.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

It depends on how many years do you expect to keep your site alive, for long term, use a unique remarkable extra-easy-rememberable word. for shot and go ( 1-3 years ), choose a well competition researched SEO keyword.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Administrator

OP has not been back since asking this.

No point giving opinions if he's not reading them.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Closed Thread