Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Domain Name Forum Discuss or get help with domain name issues. Ask for suggestions, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 10-28-2015, 09:40 AM

Short vs Long Domains

So, I recently purchased a five letter domain. It's gibberish, but it's easy to remember gibberish. What do you think would be better: a short domain that isn't a word, but it's not completely random OR a longer domain that is a word/phrase?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Gibberish is never easy to remember and certainly not weeks later.

Longer domains that are easy to remember are better in my opinion. Most people visiting your site for the first time will be referred from a search engine or click on a link somewhere and will not be typing in your domain name, so length does not matter in those cases. Return visitors will likely be coming from a bookmark and not be typing in your name, and so length is not important in those cases. Therefore, the length of the domain is not as important as one may think, but memorable is very important.

Which is easier to remember and indicates to people exactly what it is: 4dbs.com or dronebuyerstore.com? Obviously, the longer one is easier to remember and indicates to potential visitors what the website is about.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzo View Post
Gibberish is never easy to remember and certainly not weeks later.

Longer domains that are easy to remember are better in my opinion. Most people visiting your site for the first time will be referred from a search engine or click on a link somewhere and will not be typing in your domain name, so length does not matter in those cases. Return visitors will likely be coming from a bookmark and not be typing in your name, and so length is not important in those cases. Therefore, the length of the domain is not as important as one may think, but memorable is very important.

Which is easier to remember and indicates to people exactly what it is: 4dbs.com or dronebuyerstore.com? Obviously, the longer one is easier to remember and indicates to potential visitors what the website is about.

Right, that's a good point that I didn't think of.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DediCube View Post
So, I recently purchased a five letter domain. It's gibberish, but it's easy to remember gibberish. What do you think would be better: a short domain that isn't a word, but it's not completely random OR a longer domain that is a word/phrase?
1. It's easier to remember the domain name with specific words, definitely not random string.
2. On SEO scale:
-you need to select a domain length not longer then 15 (some sources say 20) characters long
-you better choose such domain name so that it would include the word what user is searching for in Search Engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzo View Post
Obviously, the longer one is easier to remember and indicates to potential visitors what the website is about.
fake info.

Good Source to read about Domain Names:
https://moz.com/learn/seo/domain

Old 10-28-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memodorial View Post
1. It's easier to remember the domain name with specific words, definitely not random string.
2. On SEO scale:
-you need to select a domain length not longer then 15 (some sources say 20) characters long
-you better choose such domain name so that it would include the word what user is searching for in Search Engines.

fake info.

Good Source to read about Domain Names:
Thanks for the read. Good point, there too. Moz is essentially gibberish, it's just two characters shorter than my domain. Just as understandable, though.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Moz is essentially gibberish,
Yep - and so is Google, when you think about it.

I'd suggest one good keyword in your domain if you plan on making it 2 or 3 words. Just make sure it's not "exact match" by making each word a key!

Old 10-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Banned

Five letter domains are something that have been selling for high prices in marketplaces but chances are most of the so called premium ones have already been snached by domainers so it will be difficult to say how effective your domain is. But, I feel there is no harm in looking out for 5 letter domains as there still might be domains that are waiting to be grabbed. But, make no mistake if you get your domain selection right then these are sold for atleast 5 figures each.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

5 letter domain is a absolute gem. You can try selling it to brand bucker. If it gets bought you will get huge amount. 10 times better then flippa or bido.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:09 AM
Contributing Member

I would suggest you to get a bit longer domain name preferably keyword or a keyword phrase.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

a short domain which makes sense it's always the best..a random domain with letters it's a bit difficult to remeber it as long as it will be your brand in the net

Old 11-21-2015, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

From what I can see for those successful site, most of them are company name/brand directly instead some keyword rich terms. So personally I think it's good to have your brand or group name for domain name, especially when you need to operate it in long run.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
go with the shorter domain for the reason I highlighted. I say do this to build a brand. A brand name over time will be much better than a keyword rich domain because that kw rich domain could possibly only be good for that one keyword. Long domains tend to limit the potential for growth.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

The shorter the better, but it should still be easy to understand what the site is about. Of course it depends on the context of what kind of business you are trying to build on the site.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:32 AM

I tried using short domain but is didnt work,but positive point is this that it is too easy to remember for users and visitors.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:29 PM
Contributing Member

I would go with domains with meaningful words related to the topic of the site, or some kind of unique, easy to pronounce and brandable name like twitter, mashable.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:19 AM

shor domain

very short domain is in keyword form is good,but for competitive ranking,it will not work real well without good Page authority and backlinks.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:09 AM

Gibberish is not easy to remember. I would choose a word, especially a relevant keyword

Old 12-22-2015, 02:11 AM

Domain name with shorter length is good.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:15 AM

I would Keep It Short and Memorable!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Closed Thread