Share |
Old 04-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Exclamation Swine Flu Outbreak

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4970352.shtml

Quote:
Meanwhile, in the U.S., the White House says "dont panic," yet the race is on to contain the outbreak of swine flu that has proven to be deadly in Mexico where there are now more than 140 deaths, with more than 1,600 suspected cases. The Mexican government ordered all schools closed until May 6.

An official said New York City has 20 more confirmed cases of swine flu, raising the city's total to 28. The official says there are another 17 probable cases in New York City. The World Health Organization said there were 40 confirmed cases in the U.S. but no deaths.
How could this have happened???

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Hope this virus will go away as soon as possible.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

My guess it will wind up being spread by Mexican vegetables or something in the food supply. The standards are fairly low South of the border. I don't plan to eat any purchased fruits or veggies from Mexico or California for some time.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Latest Blog:
None

140 deaths in Mexico but zero deaths in the US? Wow, can somebody please give them the serum.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:44 AM

this is definetly not good, they are telling people to not go to mexico right now either...

Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
140 deaths in Mexico but zero deaths in the US? Wow, can somebody please give them the serum.
Only a fraction of those 140 people have been confirmed as having had Swine Flu by the WHO.

There are a lot of rumours flying around and journalists are getting carried away with the story. The only swine flu deaths have been in Mexico, in all other countries the symptoms have been much like any other flu and no deaths up to now. The reason for this discrepancy has yet to be established. It seems to be something specific to Mexico at present, or perhaps because it is more widely spread in Mexico.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongInTheArm View Post
Only a fraction of those 140 people have been confirmed as having had Swine Flu by the WHO.

There are a lot of rumours flying around and journalists are getting carried away with the story. The only swine flu deaths have been in Mexico, in all other countries the symptoms have been much like any other flu and no deaths up to now. The reason for this discrepancy has yet to be established. It seems to be something specific to Mexico at present, or perhaps because it is more widely spread in Mexico.
Ahh yes, I see. So I guess my genocide theory is out of the question. Thanks, Strong.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Well you never know!

When HIV first came to prominence there was a theory that the Russians or Americans had genetically engineered it as part of the cold war.

The problem with these things when they hit the papers is that no one has any genuine answers at first. Finding those answers takes time. In the mean time, people that should know better speculate and their speculations are taken as truth and blown out of all proportion by those that don't know better.

Sanity and wisdom are early casualties.

It would be interesting to look up how many people died of flu over the last decade for a little perspective.

But don't get me wrong, this is serious, people have died because of it. It is just at the moment there are more questions than answers.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongInTheArm View Post
Well you never know!

When HIV first came to prominence there was a theory that the Russians or Americans had genetically engineered it as part of the cold war.

The problem with these things when they hit the papers is that no one has any genuine answers at first. Finding those answers takes time. In the mean time, people that should know better speculate and their speculations are taken as truth and blown out of all proportion by those that don't know better.

Sanity and wisdom are early casualties. (...)
I completely agree. However, I think it may be something in the water. The water that the genocide theorists are drinking, that is.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ahh yes, I see. So I guess my genocide theory is out of the question. Thanks, Strong.
No you were right! It was Bush that did it. A vast right wing conspiracy.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I try to stay away from pork

Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Chill the F out, for chrisakes!

FACT: 34 per every 1,000,000 people in the USA die from regular influenza, every year.
Statistically speaking, this is pretty much in the normal scope for regular flu... It just makes for good newspaper sales to scare the **** out of people.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:08 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Now us vegetarians will inherit the whole Earth, no more need for Euthanasia nor Eugenics!

Really, I kinda think that this scare has to do with Politics. Most do. But if it's real deal, then I think they need to discover what happened to create this. To find ways to avoid this in other foods/meats and to possibly find a more stable cure. I'm hearing that they have some vaccine for it, but it's only a temporary fix. People will still have to live with the Swine flu for the rest of their lives.

Now that would be uncool.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Whoa. A lot of people are dieing south of the border from the out break.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

You can't get swine flu from eating pork.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:57 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecs View Post
That's why I stay away from it.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:14 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebizseo View Post
That's why I stay away from it.
i think we can prevent it by making our system strong. let's take vitamin c everyday.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:09 AM

Well, I don't think we should be too afraid of the swine flu. I feel sorry for the victims in Mexico because they didn't have access to proper medical treatment. In the US with have all the necessary pharmaceuticals to fight the virus and I am quite sure there won't be many deaths in the US. It seems like they don't even have the facilities to diagnose the flu in Mexico - so how should they treat it? Sad ...

Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecs View Post
I'm sorry codecs, not to down your post but I've found new info from the CDC. While they do say that well cooked pork is safe, they also say that not well cooked swine isn't.

Here: http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/key_facts.htm

Questions & Answers:

Can people catch swine flu from eating pork?
No. Swine influenza viruses are not transmitted by food. You can not get swine influenza from
eating pork or pork products. Eating properly handled and cooked pork and pork products is
safe. Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160F kills the swine flu virus as it does other
bacteria and viruses.

I'll quote:

Quote:
Eating properly handled and cooked pork and pork products is safe.
It also says:

Quote:
Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160F kills the swine flu virus as it does other bacteria and viruses.
This is what I got from this info:

Now think of all the people who eat it bloody or rare. The CDC states that if the meat is not heated internally to 160F, then the virus won't be killed. So that right there say that yes, you can get it if the pork is not properly cooked. Just like you could get any stomach flu. Things like food poisoning can be dangerous! And this one can be deadly according to recent events.

My advice would be to make sure all Pork/Meat products are cooked 'well done' just to be safe. I used to eat a lot of meat, and well done was my motto. Unless, of course you just want to hand over the Earth and let us veggie heads handle things.

(Yeah, the truth hurts. But better to be safe than sorry, for all you guys who like to eat your meat rare or medium rare.)

Old 04-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

yah ive been reading this news buzz for a couple of days now..and as i reflect on this matter..this is a series of very scary events that is happening to us worldwide, so it made me wonder..am i the one only noticing that it may be a sign of the impending end of days is coming(i do hope im just hallucinating here..or being paranoid)? i mean, dont you see some sort of pattern with the natural events and calamities thats happening on earth? the very unpredictable and rapid change of climate, the natural disasters such as killer hurricanes, tsunami's, earthquakes...they all are consequently hitting us...i mean the massive death tolls of the killer calamities is really alarming..
and now this virus..i do hope they could isolate this epidemic outbreak..
im really worried for my relatives that migrated on some of the mentioned countries that are on "swine virus" red alert status..

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby