Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2004, 02:26 AM
LazyJim's Avatar
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: UK
Posts: 2,469
iTrader: 0 / 0%
lol i see they changed the name!
__________________

-LJ-

My advice is to look at each case individually, with an informed mind and an appropriately balanced and objective viewpoint.

Web Design and Development, Ipswich, UK.
My deviantArt
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #42 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2004, 06:19 AM
Malignant's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Hastings, England
Posts: 26
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
We keep hearing about how insecure IE and Outlook Express is, and we keep hearing people speak badly of them because of it. But I wonder how secure the alternatives are. I'm wondering if the reason we hear only about MS products is because they are the only ones that people take the time to hack - because most people use them. It's just a thought.
I talked about this on another recent thread so I'll simply just do a copy and paste job. :wink:

--------------------


It is not integrated into Windows which means if a hole is found any nasties can't find their way into your OS. Unlike IE, because if a hole is found the whole OS can be exploited because of the integration. Recently there was a hole in IE which could corrupt your Windows Media Player and allow hackers into your computer by hiding a trojan in your Windows Media Player executable file.

Mozilla Firefox also doesn't run any Visual Basic or ActiveX code on web sites. Because of this no spyware can enter your system through the browser.

Having been caught out myself in September last year with a dodgy Java applet I've been using Firebird ever since. Especially after reading this quote.

Quote:
There are dozens of critical vulnerabilities in IE, many unpatched for years. In fact, many of these flaws cannot be fixed. Because it is "integrated" with Windows, the whole system is made vulnerable.
Microsoft has admitted, in print, that IE will not be fixed until the next version of Windows. This isn't scheduled until 2006 at the earliest. IE will not be standalone anymore, if you want the next version you have to buy their new OS.


--------------------

You're certainly generating an interesting topic PhilC but you're not registered with this forum. Are you not going to stay and grace your presence any more :
 
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2004, 10:31 AM
LazyJim's Avatar
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: UK
Posts: 2,469
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malignant
Microsoft has admitted, in print, that IE will not be fixed until the next version of Windows. This isn't scheduled until 2006 at the earliest. IE will not be standalone anymore, if you want the next version you have to buy their new OS.
Yup so in other words, all the security holes and bad standards complience i s PERMANENT unless you buy the next versoin of windows.

Sticking with IE6 means you cannot escape it's vulnerabilities and new exploits will have free reign of your computer untill they next windows arrives and you can afford to buy it.

The solution is easy - change to Firefox.
__________________

-LJ-

My advice is to look at each case individually, with an informed mind and an appropriately balanced and objective viewpoint.

Web Design and Development, Ipswich, UK.
My deviantArt
 
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Brian's Avatar
Super Trooper
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Posts: 4,810
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Plus it has a cooler name... who wouldn't want a browser with the name "firefox" ... eh?
__________________
badum tish.
 
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2004, 06:16 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 670
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I stick with IE cause about 89% of my visitors use it, and its really rare that someone says somethings wrong, and when they do it's usually cause its on the forum, not on my actual websites.
 
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2004, 06:03 AM
LazyJim's Avatar
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: UK
Posts: 2,469
iTrader: 0 / 0%
lol personally i prefer the name Firebird, but I agree Firefox will probably be more popular.
__________________

-LJ-

My advice is to look at each case individually, with an informed mind and an appropriately balanced and objective viewpoint.

Web Design and Development, Ipswich, UK.
My deviantArt
 
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2004, 01:19 PM
bytech's Avatar
Senior Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 400
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Going back to why you should make sites multi browser compatible:

If your site does not load under browsers other than IE, your could be penalised by Google, even dropped from their rankings. If it loads but relevant parts are missing, you could drop in rankings. If it crashes a browsers, you can get dropped all together.
 
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2004, 03:45 PM
LazyJim's Avatar
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: UK
Posts: 2,469
iTrader: 0 / 0%
hahaha cool nice one google.... maybe
__________________

-LJ-

My advice is to look at each case individually, with an informed mind and an appropriately balanced and objective viewpoint.

Web Design and Development, Ipswich, UK.
My deviantArt
 
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-28-04
Posts: 64
iTrader: 0 / 0%
The others will never take off IMO i use IE6. A browser is a browser is a browser.
__________________
deep fried mars bars.
 
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Atom's Avatar
Senior Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 32,608
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium
The others will never take off IMO i use IE6. A browser is a browser is a browser.
Oh boy.... here we go...
 
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-28-04
Posts: 64
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium
The others will never take off IMO i use IE6. A browser is a browser is a browser.
Oh boy.... here we go...
Better to work for one, because then we can all know it looks the same. The browser wars eh!
 
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Malignant's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Hastings, England
Posts: 26
iTrader: 0 / 0%
<off topic>

Atom I thought I was going mad until I realised your avatar does actually move.

</off topic>
 
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-28-04
Posts: 64
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Hmm not true..

<mrmackey>drugs are bad</mrmackey>


















j/k
 
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Atom's Avatar
Senior Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 32,608
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malignant
<off topic>

Atom I thought I was going mad until I realised your avatar does actually move.

</off topic>
lol... I imagine down the road I'll have hate mail and death threats to look forward to ...

although LJ was just telling me they could turn the animation off ... I just now asked him how to do that in a pm... never've done it before... I must be quite a tolerant person.... or just plain oblivious... not sure which,,,
 
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Brian's Avatar
Super Trooper
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Posts: 4,810
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Life would be easier if we all had the same car, house design, hair color and eye problems as well.. but sometimes people need something a little different.. I prefer a lincoln navigator to a ford focus.
__________________
badum tish.
 
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2004, 05:31 PM
LazyJim's Avatar
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: UK
Posts: 2,469
iTrader: 0 / 0%
very true brian, would be boring if everyone had the same everything, and by catering for a general variety of people means a large chunk of people will prefer something different.

I'm glad you chose cars to make your point, because it makes mine easier...
...cars have to pass very strict rules and regulations, they all have to have lights/controls/fail-safes/functions that are STANDARD and REQUIRED. With cars, your can be about 99.99999999% sure the pedal on the right makes it speed up and the pedal next to it makes it slow down quickly - unlike browsers.
__________________

-LJ-

My advice is to look at each case individually, with an informed mind and an appropriately balanced and objective viewpoint.

Web Design and Development, Ipswich, UK.
My deviantArt
 
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Atom's Avatar
Senior Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 32,608
iTrader: 0 / 0%
um... to anyone who's paying attention here or cares at all.... LJ was talking about me turning the animation off before uploading the avatar... and I misinterpreted it and thought he meant it could be turned off by members... lol ... sorry for any confusion anyone..
 
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2004, 10:26 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 670
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Thats odd, I decided to take a wack at Firefox, and all browsers, except for firefox say my site looks fine. Firefox has the weird spaces inbetween a part of my layout...thats really odd. Oh well I'm not worried.
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PHP+Firebird+Fedora Core2 BeetMan Marketing Forum 0 05-27-2004 10:29 PM
FireBird .7 niceguyeddie Web Design Lobby 2 10-18-2003 04:47 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Escalate Media




Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.