Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 10-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

NASA set to crash on the moon -- twice

Two U.S. spacecraft are set to crash on the moon Friday. On purpose. And we're all invited to watch.

NASA's Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite is scheduled to drop its Centaur upper-stage rocket on the lunar surface at 7:31 a.m. ET.

NASA hopes the impact will kick up enough dust to help the LCROSS probe find the presence of water in the moon's soil. Four minutes later, the LCROSS will follow through the debris plume, collecting and relaying data back to Earth before crashing into the Cabeus crater near the moon's south pole.

The LCROSS is carrying spectrometers, near-infrared cameras, a visible camera and a visible radiometer. These instruments will help NASA scientists analyze the plume of dust -- more than 250 metric tons' worth -- for water vapor.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/1...ash/index.html

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Banned

Weird. Who cares about water on the moon? There are 1000s of moons in the galaxy, and our moon definitely doesn't have life on, no oxygen, just crater after crater. And even if there is water it doesn't prove life?

I don't even believe anyone has landed on the big rock yet! Were in 2009 and the first moon landing was 1969, surely with the technology we have now we should be visiting the moon every day haha!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Link.Man View Post
Weird. Who cares about water on the moon? There are 1000s of moons in the galaxy, and our moon definitely doesn't have life on, no oxygen, just crater after crater. And even if there is water it doesn't prove life?

I don't even believe anyone has landed on the big rock yet! Were in 2009 and the first moon landing was 1969, surely with the technology we have now we should be visiting the moon every day haha!
A new rocket propellant consisting of aluminum powder and water ice could point toward the future of space exploration :

Powerful, Simple Rocket Fuel Made from Water and Aluminum
http://www.popsci.com/military-aviat...moon-water-ice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7siH1Ausc

Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 AM
v7n Mentor

Good idea, spend billions of tax payer dollars to build rockets to send into space for the sole purpose of crashing them into a large rock to see what happens.

I can tell you what will happen, it will be a colossal waste of tax payer money!

Do they honestly think they will find enough water to power a manned mission to Mars from the moon? Why do we need a manned mission to Mars in the first place? We've already got NASAbots roaming around, proving, again, there is nothing there.

Well, nice to know the NASA employees are getting a paycheck.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

"Well, nice to know the NASA employees are getting a paycheck."

LOL, here a good way to make a living. get hired by NASA

Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM
v7n Mentor

yeah, or get a job with the Infernal Revenue Service, Homeland Security, Transportation Security Administration, get a job as Congressional Aide, there's lots of jobs with real good job security, even jobs where you don't have to do anything except show up and kill time!

God bless the U.S.A. !!!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

If that is the case then the US should focus more on the needs of the Americans instead of doing this. NASA can put this off in another time, can't they? I mean, the economy is bad and more and more families are losing their homes.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:19 AM
v7n Mentor

I heard on CNN today that the government is finally doing something to help keep people from losing their homes, and I thought, well, if you want people to be able to pay their mortgage, stop screwing around and do something to create more decent-paying jobs! Jobs provide paychecks and paychecks help us pay our bills, don't they?

Creating jobs that pay decent for Americans would go a long way toward keeping people from losing their homes...wouldn't it?

Enough of putting the cart before the horse already! We don't need a bandaid, we need a CURE!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

I might be missing something but am I not right in thinking that a NASA mission like this probably hasn't just been planned in the last few weeks. It has probably been a long time coming, so to use the money to prep and then call it off just because the economy is in a bad state I think would be more of a kick in the teeth.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Good idea, spend billions of tax payer dollars to build rockets to send into space for the sole purpose of crashing them into a large rock to see what happens.

I can tell you what will happen, it will be a colossal waste of tax payer money!
Who told you that it is a waste of tax payers money, are the tax payers complaining ?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Banned

i find this idea by NASA really, a waste of money..instead of just throwing out that 79 mil budget to the poor, they decide to spend it on their worthless experiment.tsk!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Banned

I think with the recent recession its much better to spend money in different things rather than spend billions of dollars for something which will not benefit loads of people although it would become a breakthrough if they could find water in moon .. I think its much better to spend money for American to benefit to

Old 10-09-2009, 09:11 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCaD View Post
I might be missing something but am I not right in thinking that a NASA mission like this probably hasn't just been planned in the last few weeks. It has probably been a long time coming, so to use the money to prep and then call it off just because the economy is in a bad state I think would be more of a kick in the teeth.
Well, isn't that a bit similar to a man losing his job, yet still taking his family out to a fancy restaurant and spending another $150 that he doesn't have just because he doesn't want to avoid losing $25 for canceling the reservation?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edosauyi View Post
Who told you that it is a waste of tax payers money, are the tax payers complaining ?
Yes, taxpayers are complaining, but they feel there is nothing they can do about it.

A lot of us are not happy about it. When our economy is in such a disastrous state and only getting worse, how much sense does it make to continue throwing money at something that will, at best, provide negligible results, and not do one thing to help the economy improve?

I guess spending money that we don't have, leading to out-of-control inflation is a good thing? I don't want the United States to become the next Zimbabwe, where a loaf of bread costs a million dollars because of run-away inflation.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

79 millions are nothing compared to billions wasted in big corporations bailouts.

I like the science and I am sure these new technologies developped from NASA will on day help the US industry, so the people.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Weird. Who cares about water on the moon?
Water = Fuel

Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

What would people rather NASA did? Cancel all their missions and projects and shut down, making a LOT of people unemployed? Would that help the economy?

Old 10-09-2009, 04:12 PM
v7n Mentor

Even though I love the idea of doing research on space and all of its complexities I believe unless we find a radical new technology to permit much faster space travel, all of these little space jumps to the Moon and Mars are akin to playing in the backyard sandbox. Its not do us much good in the long run...

Yes, I know that our mass increases the faster we go and we would turn to a solid if we ever approached the speed of light but hey, some of the people I know could use a bit of hardening

Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Water = Fuel
Care to explain? We have enough water on earth...

Old 10-12-2009, 08:11 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Care to explain? We have enough water on earth...
What are the components of water? Hydrogen and Oxygen... Both are combustible... combustion = fuel...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby