Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Senior Web Developer

Question for travellers

Hey all!

As some of you know I was born in Argentina but I've been living the last 2 years in Poland.

In 2 weeks I'm finally coming back to my country but I wanted to ask a question to those who travel frequently.

While living here I bought a computer with some expensive hardware that I would like to bring to Argentina but I don't really trust the mail service. Is it a problem if I put the pieces in my checked luggage? Will they scan it with X-ray and think I have a bomb in there or something?

If it's of any help, I'm thinking of carrying a motherboard, a graphics card and a hard disk. And I will be going through the airports of Warsaw, Madrid and Buenos Aires.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

My experience traveling with electronics is that you can bring it on carry on no problem as long as you can plug in in and boot it up and show customs that its not a bomb and it is in fact a computer. I think this is the best way to go. Checking it just leaves room for careless luggage handlers and such. My Ipod got stolen out of my checked luggage when traveling from Canada through England recently, ripped the bag right open.

Just my 2 cents though.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 AM
SEO Fanatic

you have another problem to consider: the way they treat checked luggage. Even if it doesn't get stolen or taken away from the police, you might not find it into one piece. They chuck these bags pretty hard.

I travel quite a bit and have always brought a laptop with me. I believe taking the most expensive pieces with you is a good idea. You can make sure it is safe. They will x-ray it and see that this is not a bomb.

Perhaps call the airport and ask them what their policy is.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Senior Web Developer

Yes I always carry the laptop with me but this time I also have some PC hardware, more specifically a motherboard, graphics card and a hard drive, it is a bit too big to carry it all with me, and I thought of making some room among my clothes in the luggage.

But now I don't know who are more reliable, the people who handle bags at airports or the those at the mail service in Argentina

Maybe I should try selling the hardware here and re buying it when I arrive, not sure yet.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:37 AM
SEO Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Maybe I should try selling the hardware here and re buying it when I arrive, not sure yet.
that's a bit of a pain but might be the safest solution

Old 10-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Here my advise:

Put the hardwares in the box, buy foam peanuts like this in a local store http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foam_peanut buy plastic bags. The idea is to put the hardwares box and protect it with peanuts in a plastic bag to absorb shocks. You can have an extra hard suitcase and bring all the jewels with you

Old 10-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

here's my advice:

how bout you put it on the box with styrofoam(or you can follow Natural Elements advice)and send it first via FedEx. so that you'll have less worry about the X-ray and other security stuffs in the airport.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby