Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-26-2009, 04:27 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Man, Thatís One CLEAR Video! (Pretty BIG Too)

Overnight I downloaded a high definition (HD) video illustrating how MySQL can be overkill in some circumstances. But what really struck me was how incredibly clear both the video and audio were. I had heard of this new YouTube format before but this was the first time I had actually viewed such a video. Wow!

Unfortunately, in my case there are two drawbacks with this format:
  • I'm still on dial-up. So streaming the video was out of the question and it took forever to download.
  • Over 62 MB for just 4 minutes of playtime. Translation: My hard drive is too small (never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would have to say that - at the time of purchase, 75 Gigs seemed so HUGE... Heck, my previous PC only had just 2 GB!) to store any appreciable library of such videos.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I went into a store to purchase a new hard drive for one of my laptops. I wanted to replace it with the same thing, so I asked the clerk for a 280 gigabyte SATA hard drive.

He said he had a 350 gigabyte hard drive for it. They don't make a 280 gigabyte hard drive any more...

Have you considered donating your computer to the Smithsonian Institute? A 75 gig hard drive...they just don't make those any more!

Need an extra $300-$500 each weekend - in cash? Get Paid In Cash!

Learn How To Buy Almost Anything Wholesale and Save 70-90% Off Retail. Wal Mart does NOT sell for less! The Top 250

Old 10-27-2009, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Hd is pretty amazing but you got to watch it on the right equipment ( at least hd-ready) if you want to fully appreciate it

But most of the computer screen can handle hd content

Old 11-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Sounds like to me that you need an upgrade in computer and internet speed my brotha!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:53 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebbatya View Post
Sounds like to me that you need an upgrade in computer and internet speed my brotha!
Darn straight!

That’s the thing with computers. You buy one today and feel quite smug in the knowledge that you have the coolest, baddest machine in town. Then the next day you feel like your box is a bunch of junk when the annoying kid from next door boasts of his supercool cell phone with a 10,000 terabyte hard drive and holographic projector bought for only $99.99 (including sales tax )

Old 11-16-2009, 10:15 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Good point. My dad had a state of the art computer before the dawn of PCs... the sucker used reel to reel tapes and he had to travel outta town to learn to program it (in the late 70s). Cost him a fortune... and he got it about the time handheld calculators were invented.

When removed from his office it ended up occupying an entire closet at my folks house. When dad died in the 1980s my mom asked me if I could maybe sell it or even donate it to someone that could use it for spare parts. I pulled out my HP-12C hand-held calculator and told her it had considerably more memory and functions than dads computer... our best bet was to try a museum.

Hope you get off that dialup soon. I am on wireless most of the time and thats bad enough.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby