Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by watley View Post
If I may add to what's been said, I think the real hallmark of a decent thread is when participants actually read the thread. One reason why people tend to repeat answers is that they don't bother and check whether anyone has already responded with the information they wish to share. Likewise, one and two word answers are easy to post because they require no understanding of context.

In a related vein, I might suggest that there ought to be a limit to most threads. Honestly, few people are going to be diligent enough to scroll through twenty pages of replies (especially when some of them are of the monosyllabic/repetitious variety). With the exception perhaps of some open-ended discussions in which multiple participants are actively engaged, I think it might be helpful to close more threads once they've run their course.

On a personal note, I also much prefer it when people take the time to compose coherent sentences. Textspeak tends to drive me away from a discussion.
On some forums, the mods actively review threads, and close those that are either de-railed, or have run their course. I think that's a good idea, but I think it would be very difficult to set a number of posts as a limit. I have seen some very crappy threads with 12 posts, and some really GREAT threads with >100.

On your opinion regarding coherent responses and textspeak... AMEN!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 03:00 PM
80 proof graybeard

I certainly wouldn't presume to set an arbitrary post limit... but wouldn't mind closing some threads that have run their course.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:05 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I think perhaps I was not specific enough with my question. What traits of the initial post (in a thread) make a difference in the thread becoming a quality thread or visa versa?
* gently guides everyone back to this clarification . . .

Old 01-03-2010, 03:21 PM
V7N Cheesy Mentor

For me, A quality thread should be having a continuous interactivity between the OP and the people who post on his/her thread..The OP also should give information on the topic that he/she is posted..While a low quality thread is just like asking for a 1 liner reply, sample "What is you favorite color?"

Old 01-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Marketing & Social Media Mentor

Lots of great stuff already, but here's my take...

A quality post starts with quality intent. When the poster has the intent to ask a legitimate question or raise a real issue, the thread has a chance. Then when people respond with the intent to provide real help or genuine insight, you get a quality thread.

Too often people are just bored or looking to get a link in, and the intent isn't genuine.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:29 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCopywriter View Post
Lots of great stuff already, but here's my take...

A quality post starts with quality intent. When the poster has the intent to ask a legitimate question or raise a real issue, the thread has a chance. Then when people respond with the intent to provide real help or genuine insight, you get a quality thread.

Too often people are just bored or looking to get a link in, and the intent isn't genuine.
What amazes me is how few people realize that others can tell the difference between the two . . . .

Old 01-03-2010, 04:56 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket
What do you feel are traits of quality threads?
I think a good quality thread is one that not only answers a thought provoking question but embellishes upon it and adds insight that even the poster may not have originally considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket
What do you feel are traits of low quality threads?
Titling is extremely important when creating a thread. I can't understand how people feel they are helping when they title their threads "need help", "n00bie question", etc., because it does nothing to sum up what the question, it has no topic relevant search value, nor does it help anyone who may have the same question.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:26 PM
v7n Mentor

Having been "gently guided"...

I'd say that the OP needs to put some thought into their post, and present enough background information and thought-provoking comment to enable people to respond in a meaningful fashion.

A good rule of thumb... assume that you won't be around to answer any questions, so answer them in the original post. If you write it as though it's a blogpost, you Imight be on the right track.

When I say it should be thought-provoking, I mean it should catch the reader's interest, perhaps challenge the "accepted", or even be controversial. Leaving an open question can be good. If you ask for an opinion, ask also for a justification for that opinion.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:27 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
FWIW my response to this topic is very simple . . .

A quality thread is one that encourages interactive discussions rather than one or two word responses.
I forgot to mention my definition of poor quality topic starters. Keep in mind this is my own personal definition! It's those that make me do this: or this

Old 01-03-2010, 05:42 PM
v7n Mentor

Well there are lots of wonderful inputs already but I will still try to add my opinion.

Traits of a quality thread I guess always starts with the initial post. If the initial post doesn't drive posters to post their best opinion about the topic means that the thread/subject is not very interesting or doesn't have the chance of being considered as a quality thread. I also think that opening a unique, easy to understand and interesting topic or question can be considered as a quality thread as well.

As for the low quality threads, whenever I see threads that are more than 10 times asked already which I think can be easily searched or Googled and barely see some quality inputs as well, that's the time that I consider it as a low quality one.

Just my

Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Well, although at most times good threads are those threads that begins with a great title and post/question/suggestions and some few good replies, there are also some times where in a thread that started out as a one sentence thread or something can also bring out a good conversation within.

Well, not all of us uses English as the first language and not all of us are not able to completely express ourselves so I can't really say that a thread with only one sentence and the grammar and all looks as if the OP only made it to increase post count is a low quality thread. I have to admit that there are a lot of times when even after taking time to examine what I'm going to post, the post still doesn't carry the message that I am wanting to share. So I would say that a good thread is one wherein there are good members who are willing to help by contributing well and by understanding the post and replies specially at times when there could be unclear thoughts...

Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 PM
v7n Mentor

Since being in posting here and noticing a lot of great posters had pointed out already the major facts.

Here's just my about:

Quote:
For me, I can consider a thread as a quality thread, if everyone's having a healthy conversation and sociable interaction while attaining the goal of enriching the conversation with the continues addition of substantial informative contribution to the thread.

Quote:
IMO, if it has no significance of enriching anyone with any information that one would look for in order to gain additional knowledge, then it's when you could classify it as a "low quality".

Old 01-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Banned

Quality Threads Includes
The Questions which is not ask in threads over and over the questions in threads its has to be unique.
It's has the Good Informative Answers with Details.
Answer should not be repeated in the threads.
and Good Thread has the Pools with vote system you can decide that which thread you like most.
etc.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I think perhaps I was not specific enough with my question. What traits of the initial post (in a thread) make a difference in the thread becoming a quality thread or visa versa?
IMO, the initial post (and the title) will play a very vital role in determining the quality of that particular thread or how that thread can possibly be more interesting for the community.

For me, quality threads are the threads where you can get something useful and informative. Aside from that, an effective way of creating the initial post of a thread is just by encouraging the community to participate. Simply because their thoughts and opinions matter. Provoking the community to think deeper by asking good question(s) at the initial post can also be a major factor in the determining the quality and lifespan/longevity of a thread.

Don't get me wrong, we also need threads that are hilarious. Something that can make our brain cells active once again after participating on threads in a more serious manner in some sections of this forum. I think, as far as this community is concerned, quality threads are those threads that can act as a medium where our thoughts and ideas collide in the friendliest way.

On the other hand, IMO, a "not-so-quality" thread is a thread that's created for personal purposes only. What do I mean by personal purposes? Well, it has something to do with boosting ones' post counts just for the sake of his/her "link building" strategies .

Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:

Quality traits are when an intriguing question or point is raised.

Low Quality are those that contain a copy/paste article, current event without any real substance, opinion or commentary.

Basically threads that contain no original thought or content.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:57 PM
v7n Mentor

For mine, the OP has to incite discussion. If they are asking a basic yes or no question then they are going to get a basic yes or no answer.

Many people also ask too broad a question, or they repeat questions that have already been answered ad nauseum.

If the thread is asking for advice/information then questions should be specific, but open-ended enough to offer a range of advice from the forum members.

If the thread is asking for opinions, then offering the respondents a format for their answers (i.e. asking them to supply reasons for their answer) will generate a more positive thread than posts like i think xbox is the best... great but WHY???

From the moderation point of view I think post-boosters or posters who simply post to get their signature link in what could be a popular thread, should be removed.

It's easy to spot post-boosters, they generally offer very short posts with nothing useful or links to their site or sites they have a vested interest in. That's what will degrade the quality rapidly.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

I think

that threads that enlarge me are good quality threads. Threads that diminish me are poor quality threads.

Topic doesn't matter much.

edit to add:
I should perhaps note that learning, understanding, empathy are things that enlarge.

Last edited by boxfiddler; 02-02-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby