Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 PM
No Longer Active

Traits Of Quality Threads

What do you feel are traits of quality threads?

What do you feel are traits of low quality threads?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Threads that show a good interactivity between the original Op and differing viewpoints could be very beneficial to all, even those with little to know experience of the thread's subject matter.

Immersion builds interest.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:21 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfod_d223 View Post
Threads that show a good interactivity between the original Op and differing viewpoints could be very beneficial to all, even those with little to know experience of the thread's subject matter.

Immersion builds interest.
I think perhaps I was not specific enough with my question. What traits of the initial post (in a thread) make a difference in the thread becoming a quality thread or visa versa?

Old 01-02-2010, 03:02 PM
v7n Mentor

I think the OP needs to present some basic information, either in support of their position, or in explanation of their question.

People get tired of questions like, "How can I improve my pagerank?", with no information, no link to the site in question, no background...

Some will say, "We need more information" or "Give us a link", but after a while, they tire of it, and don't respond at all.

Is that the sort of poster that would sit down with their doctor, and say, "Make the pain stop", without bothering to tell him what hurts? Seems much the same to me.

Well thought out initial posts make a world of difference in the amount and quality of information that will follow.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:06 PM
v7n Mentor

Hi Cricket,

that's an interesting question and I'm no thread-starter myself. Here's my opinion on it though:

I think that it depends a lot on the people who read and answer the OP. So the "style" of the OP should be appropriate to the forum.

As an example: I remember some attempts to start interesting but rather philosophical threads in the lobby here.
Well, the discussion is yet to come up so I'd say that the threads' quality is kinda low.

That's one point. Another point is that the OP should somehow tell the readers how they can contribute to the thread.
I'm not talking about posing questions that can easily be answered by "yes" or "no".
The readers should rather be guided to engage in a discussion. (To create the kind of "interactivity" sfod_d223 was talking about.)

Providing some nice information, like DocC mentioned, would be a great extra IMO. I don't think it's essential though.

Something about low quality threads:

Some questions are answered over and over again. Posing those questions almost always lead to low quality threads.
It's probably because it attracts all those folks that just want to advertise their site and don't want to think a lot about what they post. So they'll post some semi-automated messages.

Posing no questions at all usually yields bad results as well.

Hopefully that was what you're asking for.

Trey

Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
What do you feel are traits of quality threads?

What do you feel are traits of low quality threads?
Quality is a thread is one that presents information and asks for: more information, opinions, or comments about the topic.

Or asks for information about a specific situation that the poster needs more information about.

Both the question/post and the answers are of some value to the porential reader/responder.

Low Quality threads. How can I say this nicely?
Are a waste of time and bandwidth. Stuff like "What is your favorite color? What did you have for breakfast?

They aren't worth the time to read or respond to.

I may add more to this post later.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 PM
v7n Mentor

Oh, CRAP! I gotta run and delete my "What did you have for breakfast" thread!

Perhaps a little off topic, Cricket, I hope you'll forgive me.

[off-topic]I have been an active forumer since back in the original BB days, and most of the boards were highly focused, like v7n. But I can't recall a single one that lasted, without having an off-topic, just-for-the-fun-of-it forum on the side. Sadly, it seems that the off-topic posts always seemed to outnumber the topical posts by three or four to one.

I'll grant, "What did you have for breakfast" has no place on most boards. But you seem to have hit a pretty good mix here on "fun" and "business". I think sometimes, people just want to kick back in the OT area and relax, so they can refocus in the topical areas. I'm a bigger clown than most, so I enjoy the OT side. But I came here to learn, and hopefully to share, so I plan to spend a lot of time in the more technical threads.[/off-topic]

Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocC View Post
I think the OP needs to present some basic information, either in support of their position, or in explanation of their question.

People get tired of questions like, "How can I improve my pagerank?", with no information, no link to the site in question, no background...

Some will say, "We need more information" or "Give us a link", but after a while, they tire of it, and don't respond at all.

Is that the sort of poster that would sit down with their doctor, and say, "Make the pain stop", without bothering to tell him what hurts? Seems much the same to me.

Well thought out initial posts make a world of difference in the amount and quality of information that will follow.
You basically said what i'm thinking.

Threads that basically ask a question to the members just leads to replies such as... "Yes" "Nice post" "Nice article and thanks for sharing" "I agree with the thread creator" are threads that need to be fine tuned to get more quality answer's out of the members and even make visitors register just to reply to them.

These types of posts are poor quality ones and makes people think that you are only here to get a signature backlink and not here to build up a good reputation in the niche that you are in and perhaps meet new business partners.

I am not a thread creator myself but look for contraversial type threads to respond to or a thread in which i know my reply will help out at least 1 member or a visitor that is following that thread. I do not reply just to get my name and sig out in the public, if i am unable to help out someone with my advice on the current topic then i just keep reading new replies. (I'm saying this as a regular member and not as a moderator)

A thread that makes everyone want to jump in to give there own opinion is a good quality thread. A thread with a subject like "What is your favorite social bookmarking site" is a low quality thread if the people repling to it are not explaining in detail to why that one site is there favorite social site. Backing up your response with valid evidence or sources is a good quality post. Sorry for my little rant. Seeing people replying to threads without reading all the previous replies are the low quality posters cause they tend to repeat answers that have been mentioned already. Read the whole thread and see if you can help out in a different way with better advice. Take your time when creating threads and posting in them. There is no rush in repling to threads. Look at our mentors on here, they earned there position by being a quality poster..etc

See this thread if you wish to someday become a mentor on V7N. http://www.v7n.com/forums/v7n-forum-...tml#post845481

Last edited by snakeair; 01-02-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:18 PM
v7n Mentor

Bottom line...

PLAN A: A quality response requires thought.
PLAN B: A non-quality response doesn't require thought. Those that answer an OP with a response that doesn't require thinking input are a waste-o-time.

Added: This answer looked more profound when I wrote it, but there was a lotta bourbon in the system at the time.

Last edited by robjones; 01-03-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:39 PM
No Longer Active

I am loving all the wonderful input on this topic. I do want to comment on something that Doc mentioned. I agree 100% that off topic areas in a webmaster community are vital to the ultimate success. Thankfully, having fun is never in short supply around here. Many of our members and most of our mods keep me laughing til my side aches.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:45 PM
v7n Mentor

I have had the privilege to frequent some boards that had some really outstanding moderators, that helped me to learn that mods don't just delete spam and control temper tantrums. One that comes to mind, that passed away several months ago, could turn a poor thread into a quality thread, with just a post or two. That had the added benefit of "training" posters to think before they posted, lest he have to sweep them up with the rest of the scraps. I had never given it much thought before, but good moderators can definitely, by their example, have a tremendous impact on the general thread quality of a board. As snakeair said, that thread quality can make a difference in new sign-ups, as well as retention.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:56 PM
v7n Mentor

Holy cat fight Bat Man! .... what makes the initial post of a thread make the thread a good one?? As some know I perhaps am not a qualified source of information many times to answer this question LoL...

That really is a difficult answer to question....or is that question to answer? Either way I think they come out to the same meaning...great threads are not intensely planned many times, they simply are of a subject matter that either people share interest or passion in and happen to be on relatively close in time before it becomes buried. Many times it is a question that has enough description to coax out the answers without those answering having to dwelve to deeply to discover how to answer the question....

Ok, so I'm sounding a bit strange here perhaps....I think the best threads are those that give enough opinion/information about the initial posters topic to spark either support and agreement from others, or an opposing view to support a healthy debate. Many times it is simply a small statement that helps others come out of their shell about something they are a bit familiar with, or a connecting statement that allows those that perhaps are not totally secure on a subject or even in the idea of posting be able to relate to someone else they can relate to or know that doesn't think themselves beyond the level or league of others?

Like I said, a very difficult one indeed as there are actually hundreds of answers which indeed do depend on the point of view of the one being asked, and as is human nature, that point of view is often in flux from one time to another...

Old 01-02-2010, 09:10 PM
No Longer Active

FWIW my response to this topic is very simple . . .

A quality thread is one that encourages interactive discussions rather than one or two word responses.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:

A quality thread is one that encourages interactive discussions rather than one or two word responses.
Hey I like that answer...Can I use it? It makes more sense than mine did

Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:

A quality thread includes quality answers from the responders also. i.e. read the conversation before you arrived and
- actually answer the question(s) asked by the original poster
- add to the conversation
- don't repeat what has been said already
- if in agreement/disagreement provide some trustworthy resources to justify your position.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 PM

I agree......he.he..he....

Threads that ask why and how questions seem to generate more responses......

For instance the "what is the best way to......(opinionated subject)?
Look at some of our threads that are long and provide, not only different points of view, but good information.

Like asking a question that really does not have a "right" answer........

Only serious questions is like being at a job....I don't do that....anymore.....lol

Old 01-02-2010, 11:26 PM
v7n Mentor

A quality thread encourages discussion, informs and clearly separates opinion from fact.

A lower quality thread bluntly asks a question that will produce one-word opinionated response.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
A quality thread encourages discussion, informs and clearly separates opinion from fact.

A lower quality thread bluntly asks a question that will produce one-word opinionated response.
Now, THAT'S (my bolding) a well thought out response!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocC View Post
Now, THAT'S (my bolding) a well thought out response!
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read Charles' post. It's really important to separate opinion from fact.

What I would add is that a quality thread must be pertinent to a particular forum - not only with regard to the topic, but with regard to the writing style, and its general context.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:44 AM
80 proof graybeard

If I may add to what's been said, I think the real hallmark of a decent thread is when participants actually read the thread. One reason why people tend to repeat answers is that they don't bother and check whether anyone has already responded with the information they wish to share. Likewise, one and two word answers are easy to post because they require no understanding of context.

In a related vein, I might suggest that there ought to be a limit to most threads. Honestly, few people are going to be diligent enough to scroll through twenty pages of replies (especially when some of them are of the monosyllabic/repetitious variety). With the exception perhaps of some open-ended discussions in which multiple participants are actively engaged, I think it might be helpful to close more threads once they've run their course.

On a personal note, I also much prefer it when people take the time to compose coherent sentences. Textspeak tends to drive me away from a discussion.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby