Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-08-2010, 12:11 AM

Who do you speak computer to?

Not counting forums.......

Do you have anyone to talk to about your business that understands what you do?

I have a good friend who has been trying to learn how to forward emails for a year...still can't do it.

Most people I know give me a blank look if I even say computer?
I hang with an older crowd...........

What do you do?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Administrator

4 nerd friends on IM.

I get the blank looks too when talking in person to people.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

My son and I can send his mother running from the room when we chat about them. He knows so much more server related stuff that I will ever learn, but then I paid for a big chunk of that education.

He got his first one when he was 4 or so. Just one of the very early toy computers.

Most of my friends and almost all the folks my age are lucky if they can find the on/off switch.

So like the rest of you, most of mine is online.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

I used to chat on my facebook account with my friends.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:49 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I have plenty of people who think they understand what I do? Does that count?

Actually, I am quite fortunate in that my dad, who is almost 80, was involved with computers from the get go - so I grew up with them and he taught me a lot about the logic. So, I can still chat to him about a lot of things. Problem though is that he doesn't really understand the web that much so he is clueless about that aspect of what I do.

My daughter has her own blog and an online life, so at least we get to chat about things. (She's 23).

Still, I get the blank stare regularly. People seem to think things are so much more complex than they really are and frighten away from any mention of any technological term. That's why forums like these make my heart sing!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I don't talk to anyone about mine... Once in a while one of my parents will ask me "How are you doing with your internet thing?"... Which annoys me to no end!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:23 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

My youngest kid gets it. Of course I had her typing on a PC by the time she was 4 though.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctec View Post
I don't talk to anyone about mine... Once in a while one of my parents will ask me "How are you doing with your internet thing?"... Which annoys me to no end!
I get that same question from my parent's. Last year i told them that i sold my forum that i told them i created and invested good amount of money in and sold it for a profit. They looked at me like i was an idiot for wasting money online and to get a real life offline. They just don't get it, i like what i am doing online besides my full time computer job offline. My offline friends don't know what i do online and they never will. I do take my breaks away and have fun offline.

It's just hard explaining things out to make them understand that i know what i am doing and to trust me. Good thing i don't live at home because i would be getting the "what you doing again online to earn money?" lol

Cricket my first computer i had was a commadore 64 my dad got me. I remember using a huge floppy disk with a note card that had lot's of text to type in to play a game.

Last edited by snakeair; 01-09-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Sold forum in 2007 btw

Old 01-09-2010, 02:12 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Cricket my first computer i had was a commadore 64 my dad got me. I remember using a huge floppy disk with a note card that had lot's of text to type in to play a game.
Oh my the Commadore 64! Now that does bring back memories. Our first computer was the Sinclair zx80 in about 1980 (I think) and then we upgraded to the Commodore 64 a couple of years later - 64 KBs of ram... whoopeeeeeee!! We had entered the big time!

Old 01-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeebleBerry View Post
Oh my the Commadore 64! Now that does bring back memories. Our first computer was the Sinclair zx80 in about 1980 (I think) and then we upgraded to the Commodore 64 a couple of years later - 64 KBs of ram... whoopeeeeeee!! We had entered the big time!
I was just a small reptile when the commadore came out. Using that time machine was what got me into computers and the online world. After highschool i got into internet marketing and well i'm just afraid if i told more family members in details to what i actually do online and why i create sites or sell them, they will just tell me do something else. Just so much i do, invest and sometimes the returns are not what i expected but you win some and you loose some. lol

Wow, this is such a good thread. Thanks Jim for creating this. All of us can open up a little more.

EDIT: pctec, nice avatar.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It is a long journey from huge and slow computers to the lasted models available now. One of my teacher, from engineering college, told that in their student period they used to use a room size computer. Input was given, and next day computer was ready to give output.... Processing Time in Hours........on my.... we are blessed ones

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 PM

Went to the Smithsonian institute in 1985 and saw apiece of the original Univac...
as big a as a big truck.......what a long way........

In 1985...my government agency had a word processor about the size of a VW beetle....
450 employees....10+ million dollar budget and not a single PC in the agency....

Old 01-10-2010, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

My partner knows nothing about computers, if he wants to play a game on facebook, I have to set it all up for him, I discuss my sites with him, but I know he does not understand what I am talking about.

Our son is 21 this year, he has been using computers at school or so since he was 5 or so, he has 2 blogs and 2 dating sites.

Having a commodore 64 takes me back, that was my first computer, I used to get magazines and build the games in there and they used to work, but if I made a mistake had to check all the coding, that I typed in.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 AM

First tried a computer and had to write the prompt codes on a cheat sheet...just couldn't remember them all...
Thought, why do I have to remember. this **** machine is supposed to do that for me....

Then windows came along and changed everything for me....

I still use some cheat notes, but now I can blame my memory on my age.....

Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

the one i was talking hmmm....

when i'm on the game, i used to talk to people whom i'm doing business with, like trading items etc.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I use forums to chat about my work as at home nobody gets any ideas about my work.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:24 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I herd a team of directory editors for a major net directory. Some are in the US, some not, but most of us met when we edited at Dmoz and have a decade or so relationship. We get on the phone frequently to yak about stuff. One of the ones I recruited to Dmoz was my assistant at a real estate company and we talk shop on multiple levels on the phone and occasionally in person.

Aside from that my brother is a magazine publisher and they are rapidly trying to transition from print to web, so we talk the same language.

I'm one of the senior citizens of V7 (naah, I dont have my teeth in a jar or anything, but I DO have boots older than most of the guys here) so not everyone I deal with on a daily basis in TRW is tech savvy. My first exposure to the net predates browsers and the net as we know it, so I had the advantage of sorta growing with it as it got here. Working from the gameroom or the deck beats the hell outta driving to work.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I have a few local friends that also work in the IT business so we understand each other perfectly.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 AM
v7n Mentor

The only people with whom I can talk about what I do are others in forums such as this. Some of them, I also have e-mail or Skype contact with.

Like Rob, I'm one of the dinosaurs that started long before Bill Gates made his debut. I stuck with DOS for as long as I could, before I was finally forced to get Windows. My first portable was an Osborne, that looked like a portable sewing machine case, and nobody in the family understood what I did with that either.

They still don't.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yup, about the same as DocC, can only really speak at that level to people on this forum. Not sure if that's a good thing or not really....I guess it keeps it from intruding into the personal side of life.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby