Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Williamson View Post
I haven't personally - sure there are always rude people. However it's the people that transcend rudeness and have helped me and have been polite and caring while helping me that stick in my mind.

I can't remember a time in this community where I have been insulted, a very polite community.
Nor can I, and believe me, I try to get people riled up.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Williamson View Post
I can't remember a time in this community where I have been insulted, a very polite community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
Nor can I, and believe me, I try to get people riled up.
You two dress funny.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:51 PM
v7n Mentor

Oh, Muddy I love it when you talk your name.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

nods

Old 01-25-2011, 02:09 AM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
You two dress funny.
Nothing wrong with some Lycra or Spandex...

Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzon View Post
You made some AWESOME points here.

But let me also add that we are humans as well and we also have our own emotions. There are times when we are offended, ridiculed or just abused!

At times like those, 90% of our brains rational and analysing abilities are shut off, and we end up responding harshly or may I say irresponsibly, which often at times CAN BE unjustifiable, but it comes as a natural response to many when their tolerance levels are stretched .

Now, I am not justifying our natural responses to negative or hostile comments, but just making a point that it is difficult for an average human to be calm and polite to unbearable behaviour.

Come to think of it, if we were so considerate, there would have been no wars in history .

Like you said, it is BEST to behave rationally and respond kindly if it is going to make a difference to the others life. We can STRIVE to make a difference and try to the best of our abilities.

I hope people will pay heed to your suggestions and implement them!

Cheers,
Ryzon
And you make some awesome points, too, our new friend. I think you will find that our members do heed Crickets leadership and treat each other with great respect. It is rare to see otherwise.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Someone once told me that I see the world through rose colored glasses, but ya know what? I am okay with that.
Nothing wrong with that. More of us should.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM

Fun Fact: Around 70% of all our communication is actually NON verbal. Meaning the human brain actually takes in more meaning by looking at body language and tone of voice!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:10 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Bumping this thread as a reminder to us all that this community is built on kindness.

Why?

Cuz it is who we are...

Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 AM
Blue Rose Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Definitely. I believe that you have built the oasis already. I smile when I log on, frown when I have to leave, and even when I am supposed to be working on plant dossiers I'm still on V7N.

Thank you.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:35 PM

I don't think it's that different in our on-line world. Some people enter the ether-world in trepidation, looking over their shoulder, fully expecting to be chastised or insulted... so they're already primed to respond in kind. Each of us has the power to reverse that, by the way we treat them.
Well said

Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I consider it. I find it very irritating when someone blatantly insults someone and takes no consideration for the person's feelings. It has happened to me and I mostly just shrug it off, though. I guess I consider myself different because when someone insults me, I don't necessarily care because at the end of the day, we're both human beings doing our own thing.

I apologize if this post makes no sense.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Bumping this again just because I can.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Well, darn it you should at least quote a couple of snippets from the initial post when you do that.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:00 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Here ya go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Do you ever stop to think who is on the other side of the monitor? Do you always remember that it is a breathing human being? When you post in a community, do you consider how your words might be taken by others? Do you care? Even when someone post a question that we consider completely stupid or rude, does our own response add to the problem? Or, do we go out of our way to help turn a negative into a positive?

Does being right but humiliating others make us more right? Do we imagine that people are watching and thinking how smart we are?

Do we stop for even one second to think how we made that person on the other side of the monitor feel?

I have heard people say that if someone post something stupid or rude, they deserve whatever they get as a response. Seriously? Have we considered that we have no clue what is going on in their lives? Perhaps they are completely alone in life and they're just looking for some attention. Maybe our response can show them a better way through our own example.

Have we considered that they may be extremely depressed and are acting out? Could our response make a difference, not just for the individual, but for the community as a whole? We don't know what is going on in their lives, but as in any community, we know that right now, in this moment, we are all dealing with our own issues.

Right now, someone is trying to deal with a loss of a loved one. Someone else may be dealing with extensive financial difficulties or has been burned so many times that they choose to hurt others before someone can hurt them. They may even be considering taking their own life. We simply don't know.

One thing we know for sure though, on the other side of that monitor is a human being.

Am I asking that we be "nice" to those who we honestly feel don't deserve it?

I am simply suggesting that maybe we consider if our own response helps or hurts the community as a whole. Perhaps we can make a difference in someone's life today, just by giving a dang.

Just my 2 cents . . .

Old 02-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Do you ever stop to think who is on the other side of the monitor?
Yeah

Quote:
Do you always remember that it is a breathing human being?
Wait, always? So there are not bots? Like, at all? Wow

Quote:
When you post in a community, do you consider how your words might be taken by others?
Depends on the community

Quote:
Do you care?
Also depends on the community or where I post

Quote:
Even when someone post a question that we consider completely stupid or rude, does our own response add to the problem?
I try to be polite, but I am just human (or am I )

Quote:
Or, do we go out of our way to help turn a negative into a positive?
I try my best to do that.

Quote:
Does being right but humiliating others make us more right?
Definitively not: Not everyone can know everything. If someone is willing to learn, I am willing to help.

Quote:
Do we imagine that people are watching and thinking how smart we are?
Over the Internet? Yes. If you help them, they'll think that you are smart. If you are a rude prick, they'll think that you are a rude prick

Quote:
Do we stop for even one second to think how we made that person on the other side of the monitor feel?
Also depends on where I post.

Quote:
I have heard people say that if someone post something stupid or rude, they deserve whatever they get as a response. Seriously? Have we considered that we have no clue what is going on in their lives? Perhaps they are completely alone in life and they're just looking for some attention. Maybe our response can show them a better way through our own example.

Have we considered that they may be extremely depressed and are acting out? Could our response make a difference, not just for the individual, but for the community as a whole? We don't know what is going on in their lives, but as in any community, we know that right now, in this moment, we are all dealing with our own issues.
Again, depends on where. If the community is knows to be infested with trolls, very unlikely that a earnest respond comes. On others, best thing is to keep your calm and stay polite. Heck, staying polite is the best thing, even if the others are all trolls.

Quote:
One thing we know for sure though, on the other side of that monitor is a human being.
Sometimes yes

Quote:
Perhaps we can make a difference in someone's life today, just by giving a dang.
Sometimes you can also prevent damage when you just don't submit your reply full of insults.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Like Alice through the lookin' glass?

This is an interesting forum topic to see when one has just watched an old favorite Dr. Who episode.

If I am working on a website, does that mean nobody's on the other side of the monitor? We got Siri now. And yesterday I saw a foldable car video no less.

Arthur C. Clark was right... the other side of the monitor... Siri? You there?

Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Good post, there are a lot of internet warriors who are rude and obnoxious, there's just no need for it.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I am so compassionate by nature. I always treat people with respect even if they are already annoying. If they pass beyond the limit that is when I should react.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I always try to remember that on the other side of the monitor is a breathing person who has the same feelings and probably the same goals I do so I always try to keep that in mind while working with them.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby