Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 06-17-2010, 05:16 PM
v7n Mentor

Internet Kill Switch - President of United States

I would normally post something like this in the controversial issues forum. However, since V7N is one of the largest forums on the Internet for webmasters, I think that this topic merits being in the Forum Lobby. This huge announcement is directly related to all Internet users, including webmaster, developers, designers, programmers, coders, internet marketers, online-based business, etc. Basically, everyone here!

Article Source: http://cbs4.com/technology/internet....2.1757643.html

Quote:
The days of freedom on the Internet, even during a time of national crisis, may be coming to an under a new U.S. Senate bill. The legislation would grant the president emergency powers to seize control of or even shut down portions of the Internet during times of national emergency.

It's been dubbed as an Internet "kill switch" the president could flip. However, the idea behind it is not new. A draft Senate proposal that CNET obtained in August allowed the White House to "declare a cybersecurity emergency," and another from Sens. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.V.) and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) would have explicitly given the government the power to "order the disconnection" of certain networks or Web sites.

The legislation announced Thursday says that companies such as broadband providers, search engines, or software firms that the government selects "shall immediately comply with any emergency measure or action developed" by the Department of Homeland Security. Anyone failing to comply would be fined.
What are your thought's on the President having a "kill switch" that could block everyone in the United States from the Internet?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 07:10 PM

kill switch? what's the mean
they'll bad with networks or Web sites?
forgive for my english so bad

Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 PM

Remember those names when you vote......
We have enough stupid politicians.....

Can they get any more ridiculous?....

They want our guns...then the net...and they already try to tell us what to eat....

If they can read...or a least get their staff to read it for them...
Try the US Constitution.....
While it is still alive.....

Old 06-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Artist & Motion Designer

It's funny that Liberman would consider a need to turn off a source everybody goes to when there is any kind of emergency. National or otherwise. Obviously, that's not really their intent. Nobody in their right mind would turn off a communication service accessed by millions at home, at the office and on mobile phones when something happens.

Reads more like a bridge for Homeland Security to get involved in more access points throughout the wireless and wired infrastructure.

Quote:
Any company on a list created by Homeland Security that also "relies on" the Internet, the telephone system, or any other component of the U.S. "information infrastructure" would be subject to command by a new National Center for Cybersecurity and Communications (NCCC) that would be created inside Homeland Security.

Lieberman's proposal would form a powerful and extensive new Homeland Security bureaucracy around the NCCC...

The NCCC also would be granted the power to monitor the "security status" of private sector Web sites, broadband providers, and other Internet components.

To sweeten the deal for industry groups, Lieberman has included a tantalizing offer absent from earlier drafts: immunity from civil lawsuits. If a software company's programming error costs customers billions, or a broadband provider intentionally cuts off its customers in response to a federal command, neither would be liable.
Yup. Reads just like that.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:15 AM
v7n Mentor

Just one step closer to completely controlling every single free human being... Of course they say we need to be protected, but your keeper always says that...

Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

The ability will be as good or as evil as the person who uses it. Having the ability and doing it are far different things.

I can actually envision a few attack methods that might launch via the net.

Bottom line pass the law and be more selective about who we elect.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 AM
v7n Mentor

Doesnt matter... they can pass it, but they cant use it.

Washington runs on the desire to get re-elected. Implementing a net shutdown in a country where people depend on it for both recreational purposes and for business would be political suicide.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:49 AM
Contributing Member

Hm...I see not only in my country we have this, I mean in my place we are going to be totally controlled surfing internet,right up to providing our personal data for opening some pages, though I'm puzzled a bit how they'll manage that

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby