Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1  
Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Quotes Papa's Avatar
Quotes Papa Quotes Papa is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 07-12-10
Posts: 695
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Alexa experience

Alexa rank websites based on several factors I suppose, amount of traffic, time people spend on site etc.

I'm wondering about the higher level sites, anyone got experience?

Like what kind of traffic do you have if you're ranked 100.000 in the world, or 10.000, or 2,205 (Like v7n at the moment).

In Alexa one can see how many minutes in average people spend here, and how many pageviews/user, but not how many unique visitors/day.

As for me, another site of mine is ranked around 620.000, and the daily unique visitors is around 900

And my current site is ranked 707.000, but the unique visitors/day are like 150, but people spend more time on this site and click on more pages

Please share some experience with your sites or sites you know about
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 PM
highseo highseo is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-21-10
Posts: 963
iTrader: 0 / 0%
One of my websites has Alexa rank about 10,000 and it had about 80,000 page views per day but i don't have an exact information about it's unique visitors per day but i think it was something about 15,000 unique visitors too.
And also Alexa rank is better to be lower. For example #1 site in Alexa has the most traffic per day in all the web.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Puripong's Avatar
Puripong Puripong is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 03-21-10
Location: Somewhere in your mind
Posts: 695
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quotes Papa View Post
Alexa rank websites based on several factors I suppose, amount of traffic, time people spend on site etc.

I'm wondering about the higher level sites, anyone got experience?

Like what kind of traffic do you have if you're ranked 100.000 in the world, or 10.000, or 2,205 (Like v7n at the moment).

In Alexa one can see how many minutes in average people spend here, and how many pageviews/user, but not how many unique visitors/day.

As for me, another site of mine is ranked around 620.000, and the daily unique visitors is around 900

And my current site is ranked 707.000, but the unique visitors/day are like 150, but people spend more time on this site and click on more pages

Please share some experience with your sites or sites you know about
I only use Alexa as a rough traffic estimator for my websites and nothing else more than that. I do not rely too much on Alexa number personally. They are not reliable and easy to be manipulated. If you want a good number of Alexa, just hire some group that doing the job. They just telling anyone in the network who have Alexa toolbar installed on their browsers do visit the certain website / web page and get a lower in number (higher ranking counted from Alexa number perspective.)
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Quotes Papa's Avatar
Quotes Papa Quotes Papa is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 07-12-10
Posts: 695
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I actually feel Alexa is rather solid. At least for sites above 100.000 it seem. Below that is less accurate, but still a good estimate for averages. They do measure by 1 and 3 months, so it's not that easy to get around long term
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 AM
SteveB1 SteveB1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 08-01-10
Posts: 12
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Hard to know how accurate Alexa rankings are. I keep coming across offers to boost Alexa rankings with their service, so they must have a way of manipulating it somehow.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2010, 11:12 AM
David_ Bowie's Avatar
David_ Bowie David_ Bowie is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 02-16-08
Location: Oceanside, Ca.
Posts: 619
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Alexa is a guide and like anything else has flaws. First off, it is only giving you the amount of traffic to your site from people who use their tool bar. So all you are getting is a sampling. What about the people who dont have the tool bar?

And yes, Alexa can be manipulated. Buying bulk traffic will improve your Alexa rankings within 60 days. That is the only reason to purchase traffic.

Don`t get me wrong, my site has a ranking of 354,282 and a bounce rate of 14%. So I still look at the numbers to see where I can improve. Still have not figured out how to lower the bounce rate.

P.S. I average about 5,000 visitors per day. Recently I have been getting a lot of traffic from China which I suspect my numbers might be skewered.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Dan's Avatar
Dan Dan is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 10-14-03
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,055
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_ Bowie View Post
Alexa is a guide and like anything else has flaws. First off, it is only giving you the amount of traffic to your site from people who use their tool bar. So all you are getting is a sampling. What about the people who dont have the tool bar?
Do they still rely so heavily on this? If they do then one has to also consider that webmaster/SEO type sites will always rank at the higher end of the scale because the people using these sites, are also the most likely to have the toolbar installed.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-09-2010, 07:18 PM
David_ Bowie's Avatar
David_ Bowie David_ Bowie is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 02-16-08
Location: Oceanside, Ca.
Posts: 619
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Alexa is stiil a major force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Do they still rely so heavily on this? If they do then one has to also consider that webmaster/SEO type sites will always rank at the higher end of the scale because the people using these sites, are also the most likely to have the toolbar installed.

Yes they do!

Alexa.com Site Info.

336 Reviews
35,973 Sites Linking In
Online since July 17th 1996

Alexa.com's content places it in the “Search” category. The site is based in the US. The site has been online since 1996, and because our users are disproportionately likely to visit the site, we do not compute an estimate of its traffic rank.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Cryxellis's Avatar
Cryxellis Cryxellis is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-25-07
Posts: 973
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Our site ranks 138,006 in Alexa and it's traffic last year was more
than 1,000 but now this year since there is a renovation both in
domain and website design and new codes for GA has been installed
it decrease to hundreds.. I know what are the factors that affect the
website's traffic and ranking performance, but the programmer side is the
issue..
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Cricket's Avatar
Cricket Cricket is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Texas
Posts: 42,181
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Have all y'all read the recent Alexa post on the V7N blog?
http://blog.v7n.com/2010/08/04/alexa-myth/
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-12-2010, 03:57 AM
jamoB's Avatar
jamoB jamoB is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-11-10
Posts: 188
iTrader: 1 / 100%
i had a real bad experience with Alexa one day nice rank and other day worst rank im pissed off with it
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy, not much experience Surfinglbi23 New Member Introductions 4 01-07-2009 06:00 AM
idn experience ahayiroglu Domain Name Forum 0 05-06-2008 04:54 PM
Value web, anyone had any experience with theM? sim Dedicated Servers 9 05-01-2004 07:54 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC