Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 08-09-2010, 08:14 PM
v7n Mentor

Sharing Everyday Progress

This tread is a legend in probably the biggest website building community on the planet. I started it as a humble attempt to keep myself on focus on what I was trying to accomplish with my website and my life.

More and more people joined in as it felt great to share a little about ourselves and our progress. We learned from each other, pushed and encouraged each other, shared our ups and downs and inspired ourselves together to higher standards than we would have been able to achieve by ourselves.

Life is a journey, and creating an online presence or business to a level where we can actually be a major influence in the world in our field, or become financially independent, is a long process.

I will share my progress with you, every day, as I create my own future. All I ask is for you to join me and share a bit of yourself, and your progress.

Together we can create wonders. That's my experience. And that's my belief.

What:

To Share Everyday Progress & Inspire/Motivate each other to make the most out of what we are each trying to accomplish

How:

* Share your progress
* Share a little about yourself
* Encourage, Motivate, Help, Cooperate & Compete with each other
* Have fun & feel at home

Okay... so here we go.

I'm working together with a designer these days to create a complete new layout for my website. Pretty much the most exciting project I've been on to in quite a while. We're looking into everything from PHP vs HTML, Tables VS no tables, logo, colors, general template of course, and tiny little details that makes my head spin but will make all the difference.

What about you!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 PM
v7n Mentor

Great idea.

I accomplished 2 things:
1) Jobsearch: Had informational interview for consulting position, updated resume.

2) Coding: Worked with PHP/cURL server-side and Xcode (iPhone) client-side app. Was able to connect to my favorite restaurant's 'membership card' online area, and get list of 'drinks' that I have had there. They membership card rewards people for trying unique drinks every time they go to the restaurant. I have contacted them to see if they would like me to build more gadgets for them on the iOS platform

Old 08-09-2010, 10:45 PM
v7n Mentor

Today - Tue 10th August 2010

On personal level:
- I had the nasty business of calling the PAL (Police Assistance Line) to report theft of iPhone 3GS. I then had to put in an online claim for insurance, the excess of which is $225 for the handset, so that bites.
- Tonight I have a 45 minute spin-cycle class. This involves getting tortured by an instructor in a room full of other idiots who've chosen to inflict this punishment upon themselves. The benefit is that weight-loss results are being achieved.
- I've also consumed way too much coffee (my brand at the moment is Vittoria the one Al Pacino says is "a good coffee")

On business level:
- I've spent most of the day conducting website maintenance and answering emails. I haven't had much time for anything else today. Emails are generally between 50-75% of my day in the office. The rest is spent communicating on forums and social networks, maintenance of websites, and dreaming of days when I might be able to actually write a blog post hahaha.

Last edited by Dan; 08-09-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Al Pa CINO! attica! attica!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:50 AM

Thanks for the invite Quotes Papa, I'd love to share progress with you!

I am really working on my incoming links. I've spent the past few weeks really digging around for great forums and discussion groups to join (fancy that, I'm here!). I also subscribed to google alerts with some of my keywords and have been busy responding to blogs, boy is that time consuming! I will say I've found some groups that I'm really enjoying, learning from, and contributing to. It's not just about the links it's also about forming a relationship with others trying to do the same thing and sharing knowledge so we can all succeed.

Looking forward to getting involved here as well!
Crystal

Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 AM
v7n Mentor

Crystal: Wow, your site is super delicious!! You've been doing great, and even more than doubled your Alexa ranking since I checked last time~ Excellent!

I wonder if people would stay longer if you had delicious pictures on most of the pages along with the receipts as well, I missed that a bit when I took a peek just now

Amsterdam Alex said he would join in here soon as well, still waiting for some of the other oldies

Took a while to find a forum worthy of a sequel, but this forum is really great, and there's a heap load of wonderful people in here so I had to give it a shot.

Kwvarga: Nice to see you here, seems like some pretty advanced stuff you're on to, are you building apps..? I got a friend in Sweden doing that for Android, wish I could myself~

Dan: Welcome you too, very glad to see a little persistence in physical exercise, I need that too! I think I'm gonna have to put some rounds of gym and sporting into the schedule right away

I'd cry real hard if my Iphone disappeared, I've downloaded a whole pile of apps for my son (and some games for myself of course, hehe)

How come u spend 5-70% time on emails? There must be a large part of that you can just, well, I wouldn't say ignore, but ignore yeah. Or something

Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 AM

Hello all.
Thanks for inviting me to this forum, Quotes Papa!
I was just looking for this sort of keep-me-inline-online kind of daily support! My new site on indoor gardening is needing constant work and attention to get it off the ground, and it helps to post in forums.

Hope to see some other old friends in here, too!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 AM

Quotes Papa!

Hey thanks for finding me! I just signed up...

In Joy,
Romance Goddess

Old 08-10-2010, 12:24 PM

Quotes Papa-
Have you found any of the others? Cdin? Lauren? Amsterdam Alex? etc etc? So much to catch up on!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 PM
v7n Mentor

Hey Sara Goddess & Plantgal, omg this is fantastic, like a family reunion or something

Amsterdam Alex is coming too and Power Michael. Haven't heard from Cdin or Lauren yet but the invitations went out yesterday so let's see

A bit of progress over here:

Settled the agenda for my next EU trip, 2 weeks with full schedule (w35-36)

Have been working a little on the creative development of my son recently, building stuff together and using all kinds of materials & blocks & toys to construct larger things like small cities and stuff. Yesterday when I came home he had just finished a whole city by himself on the living room floor, that felt awesome (4 year old)

And since I'm preparing a huge design change of my website, while I'm waiting for the final updates from my designer, I'm finishing rating the last few people in my new collection:

Friedrich Nietzche
Johnny Depp
Lord Kelvin
Mao Zedong
Napoleon Bonaparte
Plato
Stephen King
Vaclav Havel
Victor Hugo
Walt Disney
Winston Churchill

Quite heavy people all of them, around 1-200+ quotes each.
I'll publish them along with the new layout end of this month

Old 08-10-2010, 09:36 PM
No Longer Active

I haven't felt very well for the past few days, so I didn't accomplish as much as I would have liked to. However, slowly but surely I made it through my daily tasks and even a few extras.
  • I hit the ban button for more spammers that I can remember. (Yeah, my finger is sore.)
  • I worked with our bloggers to finish out some posts for our contextual program.
  • I sorted through a zillion and one directory submissions and barely made a dent.
  • I successfully ignored the phone at least a billion times today.
  • I am messing around a bit with writing again.
  • I made a friend laugh.
Does that count?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

I've been working as sales and support staff of one of the popular companies in the Philippines. I'm glad to say that I've closed 2-3 clients per month.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 AM

Wow this forum looks great, thanks for the invite Quotes Papa!

I see some familiar names from the good old days (great to see you guys again!) and some new to the thread. This sharing everyday progress thread really is a great motivator and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience of its first iteration. It's good to see it reincarnated in what looks like a great forum.

For those who don't know me, my name is Michael (the nickname was given to me by Quotes Papa - he's big on nicknames!). I'm a student in the UK and I want to go into the low carbon industry. Funnily enough, my website is about that topic, but I won't introduce that just yet.

Unfortunately I can't stay and chat as I'm in the final weeks of writing a 20,000 word dissertation - I have 10,000 left in just under a month, this is why I've not introduced myself anywhere else....yet. I'll be back when I have the time, in about a month

In terms of everyday progress.... 1000-2000 words and some spreadsheet modelling.

See you guys soon!

Michael

Old 08-11-2010, 02:11 AM
v7n Mentor

We got the Power!

Michael, good to see you in here. You may get tired of writing and might just slip in here anyway, but focusing on that dissertsomethingsomething may still be a good idea

I can't believe CDin is nowhere to be found, she must have sunk somewhere, maybe in the toilet

Today I'm torn between complete excitement and utter frustration. Got my design files already and they're awesome, but several things are not working. Loads alright online but looks like ape poo in dreamweaver. Search function working but result page looks like... well, ape poo.

I'm going to solve it all, if it so takes me a whole frikkin week. I'm in contact with dreamweaver support already

Carol: Welcome to this thread. If you work with sales, are clients supposed to be closed...

Old 08-11-2010, 03:36 AM
v7n Mentor

@Quotes_Papa: To give you a little insight into the "persistent exercise" I actually made a lifestyle choice 13 months ago, to change the way I live. I hired a personal trainer 3 times a week for 3 months back then with the ambitious goal of losing 20kg. I lost 17.5kg or something in that 3 months, and was enjoying it so much I did it for another 6 months. Having moved recently I no longer have access to the trainer so I joined the gym and I now just try to do 4-spin cycle classes a week. It's basically just 45 minutes of torture hahaha. I've knocked off just over that 20kg mark now, so it's really all about maintenance...

Losing the iphone, for me, is just losing a gadget - it has no real value or worth to me (neither does money incidentally) - apart from its usefulness as a time-saving device. It is also insured so I'll obtain a replacement. I had 0 apps on it, bar whatever it came with. I used it probably 75% as a normal phone, and then 25% for browsing or looking things up when I'm out and about.

Unfortunately email is the majority of my working day. Communicating with people is basically what I do. I'd love to screen it out, but it's persistent, and always there, and whilst that inbox(s) still has things in it my day ain't done.

Really great to hear that your son is achieving. Heck I couldn't build a city and I've got 30 years on him hahaha.

How do you get through all those quotes? That would drive me batty!

... moving on to today (Wed 11th for me)

Cricket, there must have been something in the coffee today, because I didn't feel well either. Very unsettled today. I got almost nothing done.

On business level
- Email. yay.
- Forum. Double yay.
- More website maintenance and getting through those same damn queue's that Cricket is talking about. Gazillions of submissions, and about minus 5 that were any good.

On Personal level
- RPM Spin class tonight. I think the RPM stands for really painful muscles cos that's how my legs feel right now
- I really got nothing else done, I should've been working through my photography coursework, but they forgot to hand out the brain energy rations this morning...

Old 08-11-2010, 03:39 AM

I'll have a look around when I want breaks! 9000 words to go....

I'm going to call you QP from now on. Now I'm nicknaming...

Maybe it has something to do with web browsers parsing the html differently than Dreamweaver? Have you tried looking at the pages in different browsers? Maybe the problem could be flagged up by any differences?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 AM

Hi There...

Hi Quotes Papa, Thanks for the message... Happy to connect with others here too. I've not been spending much time in forums - either busy on my site, in my business or at home.

Wake Up Eager - my personal and professional development site - makes me very happy. A shoot off from my consulting business - a very broad niche, but I love it. Love the writing, love the products I've been creating and love that it is always there calling me!

Have just gotten in the mode of enjoying the process and the creativity and the progress.

This week working on my August Newsletter - I use Constant Contact - a service I had way before I had SBI. Have a bunch of new employer hiring and interview pages, plus a new product (a audio & workbook mini-workshop) that I will be featuring.

Off to work now - thanks for the invite - not too sure how active I will be here - as focusing on what's in front of me keeps my full attention most of the time - but I appreciate the connection and will add in when I can.

All the Best, and More,
Suzie

Old 08-11-2010, 08:03 AM
v7n Mentor

Okay, so today I actually really have some feeling of achievement.

I opened a thread in here and in the adobe/dreamweaver forum, but neither here nor there were they able to solve the problem. And what's even more is that I got the answer it was one of those regular problems with dreamweaver, so I'd just have to accept it.

And my designer said precisely the same.

Well, hell no. I got so fired up by this whole thing that I went straight in, learned all the things I didn't know about div tags, opened up the massive CSS file and parked myself there until I finally understood the connections.

Then after changing around 30 or more of the little rules and tags and thingies in there, now it's working just perfect. In Dreamweaver, online and in the preview as well.

A little desperation solves everything~ lalala

So maybe I'll be able to disclose the new version later this week

Dan: Nice achievement there with the weight loss. For me it's the opposite. I'm so slim I can hide behind a traffic light. I prefer not doing too crazy or heavy exercise anymore, as I have a slipped disc, but I do need to find a good level for my current lifestyle. So far mostly sporadic activities besides just playing around with family.

Cricket: Never seen it confirmed anywhere but I kind of took it for granted, this is your full time job kind of right, this forum along with the stuff connected to it?

Got any better yet from that sudden health hiccup~?
What's the point with directory submissions in your case btw? And the amounts you were mentioning... beats me

Suzie: I so hear ya, I've been looking forward to bringing my quote site to a creative level for ages and ages now. It's too massive, but I'll get there eventually.

One of the point with the old "sharing everyday progress" and this one as well is that we don't really chat a whole lot in this thread, some are more active than others of course, but it's more of a regular touch pad for inspiration, motivation, focus and reviewing.

On the contrary actually, In the old thread I used to say that if we spend too much time replying in here, we're missing the point. That's kind of the rhythm I hope we can keep in here. Turtles right

Off to work

Old 08-11-2010, 10:11 AM

OK--a quick catch up for those who don't know me and those "old-timers" (*snickers*) who haven't heard from me in a while.

I am the Romance Goddess. I have a Romantic Ideas Online website hosted (still!) by SBI. I have about 260 pages to date and receive around 600 unique visitors a day.

I am trying to boost my Adsense revenue. I am developing a fairly sizable FaceBook following (1350) and have an FB fan page that grows daily also (366 "likes"). This has definitely helped to improve my traffic.

I have several Twitter accounts linked up and spend a smaller amount of time on other social networking sites like MySpace, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Stumble etc.

I have put C2 on my site and am beginning to see some success with that. I encourage Romance Writers (and readers!) to make posts promoting or reviewing authors and then I post on FB whenever anyone makes a post--to encourage others. I also encourage submissions of Romantic Ideas and Romantic Poetry.

My next goal is to remove some of the advertising from my site. Some pages are overwhelming with choices and I really need to simplify and streamline. I have WAY too many affiliates. Too hard to manage and lousy click-throughs...

That's all for now--
I'll add more later--

Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 AM
No Longer Active

@ Quotes Papa
Above and beyond my own business, I am a forum developer (community administrator) for Escalate Media, specific to the V7N. (Escalate Media owns the V7 Network.) I also manage the contextual program, the directory, and blogs of the V7 Network. To this days it never ceases to amaze me that I earn my living by spending my days doing things I truly love to do.

I want to take a moment to give a very special welcome to our new members invited by Quotes Papa. It is a pleasure to meet you.

Things I Have Accomplished So Far Today...
  • I took a long lesiurely swim in a huge pot of coffee before I even managed to get BOTH eyes open.
  • While checking my emails, I put out around 17 mini fires without managing to make any bigger fires.
  • I sent out lessons to my SEO training classes & answered a few questions. (They have been far too neglected lately.)
  • I published another guest author post on the V7N SEO blog today after asking begging the infamous Guy for some words of wisdom.
Currently, I am fixin' to dive into reviewing submissions to the V7N Directory. I think I better take a fresh pot of coffee with me.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:00 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I am the Romance Goddess
Love how naturally you say that, especially when I was involved in cooking up the name if I remember correct

Ads can be real traffic suckers btw, you really should kill the ones not adding any value

Cricket: So we are both employees after all. Happy little ones tho. I'm also in a rather favorable spot over here. I get to spend about 80% of my time on building my own stuff, then I get to travel in China and Europe for free as well

Quote:
How do you get through all those quotes? That would drive me batty!
It really is a time consuming task. I figure I spend around 4 minutes on each and every quote. And considering I have around 15000 of em now... well, that sure is some time.

And holy macaroni this design update is exhausting. I'm doing it now. Think I need a rest

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby