Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 08-10-2005, 01:06 PM

I personally do not have anything against the people that might be categorized as hillbilly, in general. I like some country music, but the stuff I like is truly exceptionally good, and I cannot say that I like "country music" in general, because most of it I don't care for much if at all.

There was a girl and her band (country) on Austin City Limits a few weeks ago though, that was absolutely sensationally talented, every one of them, but the girl had a voice like an angel, and she knew how to use it. I wish that I could remember her name .. I'd know it if I heard it.

I watched the whole show and kept listening very intently for the slightest inadvertent mistake in each tune they did. I couldn't find one. Top shelf band, just excellent!

I think that I remember the name of the band being just the girl's name. I just cannot remember what it was.

Last edited by Atom; 08-10-2005 at 01:17 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 01:11 PM

I've never been a fan of country music.

But these Toby Keith lyrics are hilarious!!!

(sing it to the Beverly Hillbilly tune)

Quote:
Beer For My Horses Lyrics

Well a man come on the 6 o’clock news
Said somebody’s been shot, somebody’s been abused
Somebody blew up a building
Somebody stole a car
Somebody got away
Somebody didn’t get too far yeah
They didn’t get too far

Grandpappy told my pappy, back in my day, son
A man had to answer for the wicked that he done
Take all the rope in Texas
Find a tall oak tree, round up all of them bad boys
Hang them high in the street for all the people to see that

[Chorus:]

Justice is the one thing you should always find
You got to saddle up your boys
You got to draw a hard line
When the gun smoke settles we’ll sing a victory tune
We’ll all meet back at the local saloon
We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces
Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

We got too many gangsters doing dirty deeds
We’ve got too much corruption, too much crime in the streets
It’s time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
Send ’em all to their maker and he’ll settle ’em down
You can bet he’ll set ’em down ’cause

[Chorus (x2)]

Old 08-10-2005, 01:34 PM

I just Googled ACL and found the name. It is Alison Krauss and Union Station. Incredibly talented, she and that band.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:30 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom
I just Googled ACL and found the name. It is Alison Krauss and Union Station. Incredibly talented, she and that band.

Yeah, she's amazing. She was really successful in Bluegrass before moving to mainstream country. I like a lot of country, but you're right...she's a level above most.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:41 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bradley
So much for his intellect aswell, no such place as "Palestine"
So much for yours.

Palestine (region)
Israel, West Bank
32 00 N
35 15 E

Old 08-10-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southnow
Albums
Toby Keith (1993) #99 US, US Sales: 1,000,000 (Platinum)
Boomtown (1994) #46 US, US Sales: 500,000 (Gold)
Christmas To Christmas (1995)
Blue Moon (1996) #51 US, US Sales: 1,000,000 (Platinum)
Dream Walkin' (1997) #107 US, US Sales: 500,000 (Gold)
Greatest Hits Volume 1 (199 #61 US, US Sales: 2,000,000 (3x Platinum)
How Do You Like Me Now (1999) #56 US, US Sales: 1,000,000 (2x Platinum)
Pull My Chain (2001) #9 US, US Sales: 2,000,000 (3x Platinum)
Unleashed (2002) #1 US, US Sales: 4,000,000 (5x Platinum)
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection... (2003) #45 US, US Sales: 500,000 (Gold)
Shock'n Y'all (2003) #1 US, US Sales: 4,000,000 (5x PLatinum)
Greatest Hits Volume 2 (2004) #3 US, US Sales: 2,000,000 (3x Platinum)
Honkytonk University (2005) #2 US (Platinum)

Hit singles
1993 "Should've Been a Cowboy" #93 US
1997 "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying" #84 US
2000 "Country Comes to Town" #54 US
2000 "How Do You Like Me Now?" #31 US
2000 "You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like That" #32 US
2001 "I Wanna Talk About Me" #28 US
2001 "I'm Just Talkin' About Tonight" #27 US
2002 "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)" #25 US
2002 "My List" #26 US
2002 "Who's Your Daddy?" #22 US
2003 "Beer for My Horses" (with Willie Nelson) #23 US
2003 "Rock You Baby" #66 US
2004 "American Soldier" #28 US
2004 "I Love This Bar" #26 US
2004 "Stays in Mexico" #51 US
2004 "Whiskey Girl" #31 US
2005 "As Good As I Once Was" #28 US
The following singles hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart:
1993 "Should've Been a Cowboy"
1994 "Who's That Man"
1996 "Me Too"
1999 "How Do You Like Me Now?"
2000 "You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like That"
2001 "I Wanna Talk About Me", "I'm Just Talkin' About Tonight", "My List"
2002 "Beer for My Horses", "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)", "Who's Your Daddy?"
2004 "American Soldier", "I Love This Bar", "Whiskey Girl"
2005 "As Good As I Once Was"

Notable Awards
Academy of Country Music - Album of the Year (2000) How Do You Like Me Now
Country Music Association (CMA) - Male Vocalist of the Year (2001)
Academy of Country Music - Entertainer of the Year (2002)
Academy of Country Music - Entertainer of the Year (2003)
Academy of Country Music - Top Male Vocalist (2003)
Academy of Country Music - Album of the Year (2003) Shock'n Y'all
Academy of Country Music - Video of the Year (2003) Beer For My Horses (with Willie Nelson)

Not bad for a hillbilly douche bag full of nonsense huh? How was your year?

I guess there are a lot of hillbilly douche bags who can relate to his nonsense in America, sporting the confederate flags, yee hawin and jumping over rivers and bridges is their general lees.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
... She was really successful in Bluegrass before moving to mainstream country. ...
Oh, well I just, apparently correctly, assumed that it was country then. It hasn't really ever been clear to me what the difference is.

Last edited by Atom; 08-10-2005 at 03:07 PM.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolts
I guess there are a lot of hillbilly douche bags who can relate to his nonsense in America, sporting the confederate flags, yee hawin and jumping over rivers and bridges is their general lees.
Tons! Luckily there aren't too many redneck slimeballs around here.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillaboy
Tons! Luckily there aren't too many redneck slimeballs around here.
I know that there must be some around here, I haven't met any yet though. Most every native I've met here in TN so far has been what I percieved as pretty decent folks. Of course, I haven't gotten into any political discussions with any but one, and he feels similarly as I about our government in general, I soon found out after a bit of chat. I don't get out hardly at all though, so I don't really have any personal frame of reference to speak of, to make an informed judgement about the folks in my particular area. Everyone seems really friendly around here though, even more friendly than where I'm from, and folks up there where I'm from are pretty friendly compared to folks in most of the big cities I've been in.

Down here, if you are stranded on the side of the road with a broken down vehicle, it is only a matter of a few minutes before someone stops and helps you out, and you don't even have to flag them down, they just automatically stop, no kidding.

My sister who has lived down here a lot longer than I have, had a vehicle break down a few different times, and one person not only went out of their way to help her, they gave her money, cash, right out of the blue and she did not ask for any. She was very surprised at that. She accepted out of gratitude, it was only 15 dollars I think she said.

The people around here seem very friendly indeed. I imagine that there must be some slimeballs around here somewhere, though.

Last edited by Atom; 08-10-2005 at 04:41 PM.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:00 PM

The cops around here seem a bit nosey though, always looking for action it seems. I am in rural TN though, so there isn't much to keep them busy around here. It seems they are pretty gung-ho to pester people for petty stuff. In fact, a few cops are the only people that I've really seen so far taking on any semblance of the label of redneck slimeball.

I had a bit of a run-in w/the cops shortly after I first got here, and one thing that I noticed down at the station was, many of them did not have southern accents, in fact I do not recall any of them having any sort of southern drawl what-so-ever, now that I really think about it. I found that a bit odd.

Last edited by Atom; 08-10-2005 at 05:17 PM.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Down here, if you are stranded on the side of the road with a broken down vehicle, it is only a matter of a few minutes before someone stops and helps you out, and you don't even have to flag them down, they just automatically stop, no kidding.
It used to be like that around here too. I remember picking up people w/ my dad quite a few times when I was young.

Now everyone is either too pre-occupied to see a stranded person or too afraid to pick one up.

Quote:
The cops around here seem a bit nosey though, always looking for action it seems. I am in rural TN though, so there isn't much to keep them busy around here. It seems they are pretty gung-ho to pester people for petty stuff. In fact, a few cops are the only people that I've really seen so far taking on any semblance of the label of redneck slimeball.
That doesn't surprise me one bit! Anyone that would become a cop is a piece of ****crap (in my book). I have one friend who is a Chicago narco and he's a decent guy. But crazy as a mother-effer and mean as hell!

Old 08-10-2005, 06:30 PM

I have nothing against cops in general, only the slimebag ones, and they are out there. They give the decent ones a bad name.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:02 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Although I know it was meant as an insult, primarily towards Southerners, you're mostly correct. In fact, take out the "douche bags" and "nonsense" I'd agree with it fully.

There are alot of so-called hillbillies down here. They're generally hard working honest to the core people who would give to anyone in need even if it meant they would go without. Pictures like Gorillaboy posted are no less offensive to them than a cartoon of a big lipped "sambo" eating watermelon would be to a black man. I expect that equates his character to the racist sob who would post such a picture.

Many do choose to live without many of the modern conveniences much like the Amish though not as cultured. If anyone wants to learn about the true nature of these people there's a series of books called Foxfire written by college students over the years who studied their daily lives.

http://www.foxfire.org

Many of us (Southerners in general, not just hillbillies) do sport the Confederate flag. I could write a book about that, but you still wouldn't get it. Just know that
Quote:
sporting the confederate flags
isn't an insult around here, even if you meant it as one.

The "yeehawing" is Hollywoods translation of the rebel yell. Neat story behind that. I'll post a link someday if you like.

We don't junp over rivers and bridges, as that destroys cars, but I do know of at least a few people who have restored old chargers as General Lee's. It was a cool car. Why wouldn't they?

I know you addressed Americ in general. I can only speak for us. As for the north....don't know...don't care.

Last edited by South; 08-10-2005 at 08:21 PM.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Although I know it was meant as an insult, primarily towards Southerners, you're mostly correct. In fact, take out the "douche bags" and "nonsense" I'd agree with it fully....

....I know you addressed Americ in general. I can only speak for us. As for the north....don't know...don't care.
Yah i was just taking the same words you used in an earlier post on this thread, and yah it was directed at the south only not the north hence the confederate flag refference.

So what is the story behind the flag in your opinion? To me it just represents racism and slavery, thats just from what I've been taught. I guess people are right when they say "who ever wins gets to write the books on the subject".

Old 08-10-2005, 08:36 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
So what is the story behind the flag in your opinion? To me it just represents racism and slavery, thats just from what I've been taught. I guess people are right when they say "who ever wins gets to write the books on the subject".
To assume the flag is about racism and slavery is to assume that's what the south was fighting over. We did a whole thread on it a while back.

http://www.v7n.com/forums/showthread...1&page=1&pp=20

Old 08-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

only those that haven't lived or been in the south see the confederate flag as a symbol of racism. to many southerners it is a symbol of regional pride and heritage. it was initially used to represent the south's political opposition to the north but it took on a racial element during the civil rights movement when that opposition was aimed at segregation.

i think people need to educate themselves some more before they make baseless accusations or assumptions about something they don't know and don't take the time to understand it.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:51 AM

that would be a memorable day. we should hope and pray nomore of that 9-11 incident would happen again.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby