LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-30-2005, 06:05 PM
No Longer Here
Latest Blog:
None

MP3 Players and FM Transmitters

Okay, here's the deal...

I need an MP3 player. I want one that will sound good. No crap. I can choose from any of the players listed on THIS PAGE.

Unfortunately my car doesn't have a jack to plug it into so I will need an FM Transmitter. This past december I asked about these, but no one said if an expensive one was better than a cheap one.

I ended up buying a $20 one and it sounded like $hit. The person I got it for ended up just buying a whole new car stereo so he'd have the jack to plug the mp3 player into directly.

I need recommedations for an MP3 player listed on that page and for a GOOD FM Transmitter.

Please

Old 08-30-2005, 06:18 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I got myself a TEAC MP3 Player, it is Ok, sounds find holds 1.5g of music but it is pretty slow in starting up / shutting down and changing songs. The shuffle in it is a bit screwed, its not random at all, it must just jump 15 songs or something like that because if i listen to song A every time I turn it on and make it go on shuffle I will always hear the same music in the same order, I'm not sure if this is normal or not but I don't really like that.

I did the same as you, I bought a crappy FM Transmitter for like $20 and it was really bad, the only stations you could use where the preset ones that where something like 97,98,99. They where really bad quality, so I tried to jack it up a bit and extended the aerial, it didn't work at all lol. I ended up just buying a new head unit for the car that cost $250, it can also play mp3 cds which is good. I figure it was better to do this because good FM transmitters cost around 80$ and I thought it was time for an upgrade in my car anyway :-)

The FM Transmitters which are the best (from what I have heard from mates that use them) are the ones that plug into the cigarette lighter and use the car battery (gives them more power) and the ones that you can choose what radio station you want to broadcast too (something like this.

I'm not sure if that is the same type of model, but it does plug into the car and you can choose the station you want to take over.

As for your MP3 Player.

Creative Zen Micro

Its a good one, my mates have it. Sounds great works well, the only thing I don't like about it is the software it uses to put the music on the computer.

I wouldn't go for the DELL, it doesn't have a removable battery so if that breaks then the whole MP3 player does, its better to go one of the other 2.
(Not to mention that DELL computers are really crap and I wouldn't trust them)

Hope this helps :-)

Last edited by Sketch; 08-30-2005 at 06:23 PM.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:22 PM
No Longer Here
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
every time I turn it on and make it go on shuffle I will always hear the same music in the same order, I'm not sure if this is normal or not but I don't really like that
I don't think that's normal.

Quote:
I ended up just buying a new head unit for the car that cost $250, it can also play mp3 cds which is good. I figure it was better to do this because good FM transmitters cost around 80$ and I thought it was time for an upgrade in my car anyway :-)
I'd really like to do that, but my car is only two years old and it already has a good stereo. I can play MP3 CDs in it, but it's too slow switching between songs. Plus I plan to trade the car in within the next few months so it would be a waste.

Quote:
The FM Transmitters which are the best (from what I have heard from mates that use them) are the ones that plug into the cigarette lighter and use the car battery (gives them more power) and the ones that you can choose what radio station you want to broadcast too (something like this.
Thanks. I'll check that one out.
Quote:
Creative Zen Micro
I was looking at that one and I thought it looked pretty good.

Quote:
Its a good one, my mates have it. Sounds great works well, the only thing I don't like about it is the software it uses to put the music on the computer.
What about the software don't you like?

Old 08-30-2005, 07:43 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I don't think that's normal.
No I don't think it is either, I wouldn't recommend going with my brand, it really isn't a good MP3 player, it has frozen a few times and I have had to find a pin to reset the thing, and it has a built in battery, so once that goes my MP3 player is gone

Quote:
I haven't really used the software that much, but when I have used it I have struggled to put songs on it straight away, it has taken me a while to use it. I prefer the MP3 players that are just like a removable disk where you just move the mp3's onto the player by drop and drag, Zen uses some weird software that doesn't work like that drop and drag method.

I'm sure after using the software a bit you would get used to it.

I didn't really read the napster page, but it said something about compatible devices so I assume your napster software would already have some sort of tool so you may not even need to use then Zen software.

Old 08-31-2005, 06:27 AM
No Longer Here
Latest Blog:
None

I think I'll probably go with the Creative Zen Micro - unless anyone has any reason not to.

I would like to hear any other opinions on FM transmitters if anyone else knows anything about them.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I also recommend the Creative Zen Micro.
Don't know about FM transmitters though, they are illegal here

Old 08-31-2005, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzee
I have an older creative zen extra (no FM) but the original software is hard to use, I got this http://redchairsoftware.com/notmad/ and that is cool and easy, also works with the MICRO

The world is full of kings and queens
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
It's heaven and hell

Old 08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
No Longer Here
Latest Blog:
None

I ended up getting the silver Creative Zen Micro and Monster RadioPlay FM Transmitter.

It sounds great

And I don't have to use the software that came with the MP3 player. I just hook it up and use Napster to transfer the files.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:10 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

The Zens are good, you will like them. Good to hear you don't need the software with it.

How does the MP3 palyer work? Great quality?

Old 09-01-2005, 05:24 AM
No Longer Here
Latest Blog:
None

It sounds good. The only problem I have is when I hook it up throught the car speakers, it sounds a little too deep. I've adjusted my speaker settings, but that doesn't really fix it.
It seems like I need to turn down the bass on the actual mp3 player - but I don't think I can do that. It's not a big deal, though. I just turn the treble in the car all the way up and it takes care of most of it.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

On the Zen Touch you go into settings, equalizer, custom EQ and then you can turn the Bass down.
Dunno if it is the same in the zen micro

Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 AM
No Longer Here
Latest Blog:
None

Found it, thanks

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby