Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 PM

A Parent's Worst Fear

Hi there,
What do you think parents fear the most, that their child would become involved with drugs or alcohol, teen pregnancy, or violent video games? If you guessed violent video games, you would be correct according to a new survey of parents! I could hardly believe it - that ranks almost at the bottom of my concerns as a parent! What about you, what are your biggest concerns as a parent?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 04:02 AM
Contributing Member

You know, I haven't read your post to the end, and first thing that came to my mind was violent games...
Indeed, not so harmful at first sight, they may lead to unexpected consequences, when the character changes, the child becomes more aggressive

Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

I think all parents afraid their children affect by bad things. All of them hope their children can grow up healthily.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Banned

When I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, video games weren't good enough to be violent. Parents were instead concerned about Dungeons & Dragons. There was even a made-for-tv special about how D&D made this kid go crazy. He lured his friends into a cave dressed like loons and then he killed them all like whining kobalts (or so the movie went). There was another special (700 Club I think) that showed how D&D invited demons into the bodies of our kids and stopped them from paying attention to Sunday sermons.

Of course, that was a bunch of hyperbolic hooey. Many of those D&D players of the 80's are successful executives, artists, and programmers of the 21st century. Even as a child, I discovered that D&D helped me overcome my recurring nightmares (just like in one of the Nightmare in Elm Street movies - only without me getting mauled by a dude in desperate need of a manicure). Having been a child inappropriately harangued for "violent" creative games, my advice to parents would be to ask your children how the games affect them, listen open-minded, and make individual decisions.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 AM

a parent's worst fear is that their child will die before they do. so many kids are killed in needless violence. it's heartbreaking. right now we're mourning the death of a student at notre dame. so sad.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby