Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Wikipedia: We Need $16 Million To Stay Free

If everyone could just give a few dollars this would be a good thing that you are doing.

Quote:
Last year, the Wikimedia Foundation managed to raise more than $8 million in its yearly fundraiser. On Monday morning, the non-profit behind Wikipedia is announcing that it aims to raise $16 million this year "so that Wikipedia and its sister projects can remain freely available to people around the world."

Keeping Wikipedia free is no small feat, however, and the foundation has released a few stats about the world's fifth most popular Web property that help illustrate the challenges it faces.

Wikipedia was the 12th most popular Web property in the U.S. in September, with comScore reporting nearlly...
Continued at: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives..._stay_free.php

Please spread the word around to your online friends. Donate to a good cause.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

I donate to wikipedia every year since 2 years ago

Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

I donate Wikipedia but i can't understand why do they need such high donates?
The articles are written for free by members and they are editing by members for free. What do they want to do with this donations?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseo View Post
The articles are written for free by members and they are editing by members for free. What do they want to do with this donations?
wiki runs more then one site. Take a look at this page to see all the projects they work on. http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Our_projects

Feel free to contact wiki support and ask them flat out, what they doing with the money

Also take a look at this response. http://blog.wikimedia.org/blog/2010/...-contribution/

Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Wikipedia is such a great site, yes... But, I wonder the same, what would Wikimedia need all that money for? I hope it's not because all big sites owners have to be filthy and rich ... (and I really hope that the small webmaster in me is not saying this out of jealousy, because I know that though life is a challenge, is it not a competition)...

Old 11-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kenawee View Post
I hope it's not because all big sites owners have to be filthy and rich
Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that there are some costs incurred in maintaining the fifth biggest URL (as well as other associated projects) on the internet.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Wikipedia is completely not-for-profit. You have to go down many many places on the top URL list to find the next largest 503(c) NFP site. It costs quite a bit of money to handle millions and millions of hits a day.

Not only that, but just because the content is free it doesn't mean everything else is. What about having to pay the network engineers? Accountant(s)?

When you get that large it can be a little more complicated then setting up a PHP Wiki on hostgator ;-)

Old 11-17-2010, 07:11 PM
v7n Mentor

What would their model be if the didn't remain free? It would have to be ad based...or sell to google. hahaha

Old 11-18-2010, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemarino View Post
I'm pretty sure that there are some costs incurred in maintaining the fifth biggest URL (as well as other associated projects) on the internet.
They can have some serious bandwidth bills, but they should try to add adsense to articles..

Old 11-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Now thinking of Wikipedia's alternatives to asking for donations, I guess they are doing better off without Adsense and Chitika now. (I am not sure why I dislike seeing Adsense ads, I hope my visitors don't get bothered as much as I do when they see them on my sites)

Oh talking Chitika, by the time I signed up with them they were promoting their advertising system by giving a fictional example of how much Wikipedia would be making from their system if it joined them, based on SE traffic Wikipedia gets every month to encourage people to sign up.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

I think it's good that Wikipedia stays as a non-profit organization but I think they should collaborate with Google by putting Google Adsense on the site. It's really hard to get people to donate right now with this current economy. I really feel for Wikipedia.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:11 PM

UPDATE:

Quote:
The Wikiemedia Foundation announced earlier this week that it would need to raise $16 million to keep Wikipedia ad free, double the amount that it raised last year. That sounds like quite the challenge, right?

Well, according to the real-time statistics on its fundraising effort, Wikimedia has managed to raise in a week what took a month last year and it has a few guesses as to why.

Wikimedia offers an in-depth, real-time look at its fundraising stats that show how 2010 is breaking away from years past. Looking at the year-to-date tab, we can see that at only eight days into the 2010 fundraiser, Wikimedia has raised just under $3 million ($2,968,388.51 at the time of this writing, to be exact). It took 36 days in 2009 to reach this same level. So what's different?
Continued at: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives..._a_month_i.php

It seems there are people and business's that care about wiki and donated. So far so good.

Watch the donations in real time at this link. http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/...iserStatistics

Old 11-22-2010, 03:29 PM

I don't think about the bw of wikipedia...

Old 11-24-2010, 05:06 PM
v7n Mentor

I tend to wonder about an entity that is estimated by it's founder to be worth $3bn, asking people for money... gratis.

Sorry, it just doesn't add up.

Jimmy Wales is crying poor? --- I think there are far more worthy causes that deserve my money, than his already bulging pockets.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:02 PM
v7n Mentor

"We Need $16 Million To Stay Free"
What a coincidence, so do I

Old 11-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

The idea "collective potential to change the world" is a good thing.

I really like wikipedia and found it useful a number of times. But 20$ is a little too much for me to give. I wish Jimmy Wales did not put a minimum. As people can easily give away a dollar or two just like me.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:22 AM
Contributing Member

I think I'll donate when I'd be able to. Wikipedia is just essential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctec View Post
"We Need $16 Million To Stay Free"
What a coincidence, so do I
Highly witty, haha!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:17 PM

Wikipedia Raises $16 Million to Remain Ad-Free

Wow, over 500,000 people donated this year which was a improvement.

Quote:
The Wikimedia Foundation announced this morning that it has reached its goal of $16 million in record time, more than doubling the $7.5 million the organization raised in 2009. The foundation, which is the non-profit parent organization of massively collaborative online encyclopedia Wikipedia and a multitude of other wikis, says that more than half a million people from all over the world donated to the effort this year.

According to the release, the fundraiser, which featured Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales' mug pleading with users to donate, was the shortest and most fruitful in the foundation's history. A look at the real-time statistics shows that while the average donation remained around the same as years past, the number of people donating was far greater
Continued at: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...in_ad-free.php

*Additional Information*

Half a Million People Donate to Keep Wikipedia Free - <--- Official announcement
List of Wikipedia's Projects

For the people who have made a donation to wiki, you did a very good thing and thanks.

Also, if you do donate to charities, please make a blog comment on Matt Cutts blog. http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/donate-to-charity/

Last edited by snakeair; 01-01-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 AM

I donated $20 - Lets hope they get the money then need and that Wikipedia stays free forever.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby