Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 12-06-2010, 09:10 AM
v7n Mentor

Light Bulbs, You and a Nauseating Dinner

So, what do you think of this new trend in lighting where everything seems to be going LED, Flourescent, Halogen etc etc?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-o...nt_light_bulbs

I just spoke with a woman who is afraid of (and has been told) that traditional C9 (big 7W bulbs) will be illegal in a couple of years... she lives in California where perhaps they will be.

I also just had dinner at a Chilis restaurant where the space age looking bulb in the overhead lamp was emitting a light that was flickering at what - 120 Hz ... or 60 hz... or something that made it look like your hand was in a flashback scene of a 1990's action adventure movie.

Frankly, it gave me a headache and was mildly nauseating. (And let me say, I do NOT consider myself one of those higher maintenance people who are sensitive to electromagnetic fields and different kinds of lighting <smile>)

What do you think? Are you switching to non-incandescent lights in your home?

Do you have a stash of a lifetime supply of 100 W bulbs growing in your attic?

Do you think it is right to make everyone be greener when it has been shown that if everyone went to green bulbs that the actual benefit when you take into account manufacturing, waste disposal of mercury, etc etc may actually not return that much benefit?

Don't I have a right to purchase and pay for my 100 watt bulbs for my home lamps?

Filament fans unite!!

(It looks like they may develop a better lightbulb in the future:

http://www.terrapass.com/blog/posts/...unt-a-comeback

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 AM
v7n Mentor

Here is Canada they were talking about banning the sale of incandescent light bulbs but not banning them outright(which has the same effect in a short time). My advice to anyone who loves them to buy a hell of a lot of them if they do talk about banning them.

I personally like the power savings of CFL's but I hate the price. LED's bulbs are great but if you want one that puts out any amount of light at all they are comparatively outrageous price wise.

Quote:
Don't I have a right to purchase and pay for my 100 watt bulbs for my home lamps?
I could ask the same question about Lawn Darts... I played with them as a kid but they are now banned... I want to play with lawn darts damn it!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:30 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctec View Post
Lawn Darts... I played with them as a kid but they are now banned... I want to play with lawn darts damn it!
Let's unite!! And why don't we play with BB guns at the same time!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 AM
v7n Mentor

Now your talking!!!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:06 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctec View Post
I could ask the same question about Lawn Darts... I played with them as a kid but they are now banned...
I took a lawn dart in the knee once.
I had been tying my shoe (cause I was thinking I might
trip while dodging errant lawn darts). Luckily,
I had just moved my head when it came down TWONG!
into my knee.

My mother was very angry (mean) with my cousin who
was the poor jerk who threw it.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:09 AM
v7n Mentor

You learned very quickly to stay out of the line of fire though I'll bet...

Old 12-06-2010, 11:25 AM
v7n Mentor

This piece is about 2 years old, but it sums up some of the issues nicely:

Dangers of energy-saving bulbs

Like everything else, it involves trade-offs. A few quotes:

Quote:
Compact fluorescent lights each contain roughly 5 milligrams of mercury, which health professionals say is tiny in relation to the amount in a glass thermometer. Using that estimate, almost 2 tons of mercury were in the 380 million sold last year. By comparison, about 50 tons of mercury are spewed into the air each year by the nation's coal-fired power plants.
Quote:
...CFLs can curtail the need for energy and thereby cut pollution from power plants. According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, a coal-fired power plant will emit about four times more mercury to keep an incandescent bulb glowing, compared with a CFL of the same light output.
Quote:
Manufacturers have looked at substitutes for mercury in the bulbs, but been unable to synthesize the chemical reaction. Still, they say they are working to reduce the amount of mercury in each bulb.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Do you have a stash of a lifetime supply of 100 W bulbs growing in your attic?
No the heat in the attic might be bad for them. I do have a goodly supply of all sizes.

I hope my supply will last long enough for the general public to realize that the CFLs don't have to be bad. When the consumers learn and demand the the the retailers stock bulbs with the proper K rating then we can have light like we are accustomed to from CFL bulbs. Right now the warmer K ratings are a bit pricey.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:14 AM

The Incandescent light bulb phaseout is a complete scam. The real reason was money, plain and simple. I don't have the links with me at the moment but there is quotes from Philips and GE saying they wanted the incans gone to remove price competition. I can supply the links later when I have more time.

CFLs can curtail the need for energy and thereby cut pollution from power plants. According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, a coal-fired power plant will emit about four times more mercury to keep an incandescent bulb glowing, compared with a CFL of the same light output.

====>No they do not. The greens have no clue how the grid/power gens really work. Power gens have to keep a certain amount of reserve online to handle spikes and for emergencies. Lighting makes up less than 6% of the entire load. Getting rid of Incans WILL MAKE NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER. The most load on the grid is HVAC/Water Heaters/large commercial/industrial complexes. And finally, Mercury, you can't have it both ways.

And these bulbs are worthless in situations where they are turned of and off frequently. In one incident that I know of, a school janitor was replacing a CFL with a GE Incan in the Fifth grade bathrooms because the constant on/off cycle from the kids were killing the CFL every three days.

I have been also stocking up. I have about 1,000 now.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladen View Post
The Incandescent light bulb phaseout is a complete scam. The real reason was money, plain and simple.
I agree with that...
Currently a 10 pack of CFL's costs from $15 to $25 bucks...
Currently a box of 4 100 Watt incandescent bulbs cost about $1...

The bottom line is if people want to burn 100 watts rather than 13 watts, it should be their choice as it is them who is paying the power bill at the end of the month.

One burner on my stove takes about 2000 watts... running it for 1 hour costs me approx 15 cents...
I can run one 100 watt light bulb for 20 hours for the same 15 cents...
I can run one 13 watt CFL for 152 hours for the same 15 cents...

If the power companies are truly concerned with saving power, why is it that the more power I use, the lower the rate gets? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

But there is hope. CFL law may be repealed.

Quote:
Three years after he led the charge to require consumers to ditch their comfortable old incandescent

lights in favor of those twisty CFL bulbs, Rep. Fred Upton now wants to be the man to help undo that law

as the next chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

That about-face is not unique among lawmakers looking to atone for stances they've taken over the past

decade as they seek to gain top posts in a decidedly more conservative Republican Congress, but his

reversal underscores how intent the GOP is on proving it has broken with past practices.
Full article here: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-bulbs/?page=1

Or is this just another slimy politician trying to dodge the repercussions of his actions?

Your opinions????????

Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Full article here: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-bulbs/?page=1

Or is this just another slimy politician trying to dodge the repercussions of his actions?

Your opinions????????
I vote less slimy than passing such a stupid bill under pressure from environmental groups and Californians.

I guess I'd rather see someone change his mind in light of "public opinion" - that would be the will of the voters - and undo something that many of us are not in favor of.

People have the right to chose... let the marketplace decided.

I think the low flow toilet is a good example.... great idea... half the water required but you have to flush it twice to get it to work

I have a stockpile of them in my materials shed LOL (that would be a stockpile of.. 2)

Doesn't everyone have a couple extra toilets? (we do alot of repair construction and pre-1920's remodeling)

Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshellie View Post
I vote less slimy than passing such a stupid bill under pressure from environmental groups and Californians.

I guess I'd rather see someone change his mind in light of "public opinion" - that would be the will of the voters - and undo something that many of us are not in favor of.

People have the right to chose... let the marketplace decided.

I think the low flow toilet is a good example.... great idea... half the water required but you have to flush it twice to get it to work

I have a stockpile of them in my materials shed LOL (that would be a stockpile of.. 2)

Doesn't everyone have a couple extra toilets? (we do alot of repair construction and pre-1920's remodeling)

LOL, well I have a couple of 1950's toilets in storage that I pulled out of a house that was being demolished, and one in current use that came out a 1960's motel that was also being demolished.

Back on subject- I'm thinking it's a slimy politician that will do anything to get votes.

Another issue with the CFL's that the manufactures won't talk about is fire hazard. There's reports of these catching fire at end of life, and when they are put in dimmer circuits.

If you look at the box, there's a whole list of fixture you aren't supposed to use them in. For example, upside down, enclosed fixtures, ceiling fans, in dimmer circuits, in recessed cans, the list goes on. They do not work in cold climates, wet climates where the bulb is actually exposed.

There seems to this huge disconnect. For example, someone has a CFL and an incan in a dual light, the CFL goes out more often than a two year incan. Yet, they STILL say that the CFL last longer. I kid you not, this has happened.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:48 AM
v7n Mentor

Last night was only the 2nd time I experienced this...

Several years ago I bought a bunch of cfl's at the dollar store. I filled all of my fixtures with them and one night I smelled something strange so I went to see what it was. I found one of the bulbs was smoking and had a slight flicker. I figured it was just a fluke and replaced it. Some months later I found yet another one doing the same thing. As a result of those two occurances I got rid of them all and went back to the old type. When "brand name" CFL's became more reasonable in price I switched yet again. It has been about a year now and last night was a deja vu moment. The light in the kitchen began to flicker and went I went to look at it I found it smoking and it was very hot. As a result of losing faith in the technology I am switching back to, and stocking up on, the old type of bulb once again.

The small saving on my power bill is not worth the risk of my house burning down... As you can see from these pics, the bulbs got very hot.

I feel like a freaking yo yo...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2293.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	13273   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2294.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	13274  

Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Contributing Member

Filling my attic...

Dang! I need to remember to stock up. I hate reading by fluorescent.

I figure it's a conspiracy to discourage reading. Which of course, discourages intelligence.
I think they're in it with the TV and video game peeps.

Last edited by boxfiddler; 12-12-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: re-structure

Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 AM
v7n Mentor

In addition to the mercury danger, those CFL claims about hours of use are bogus. I've never had one last more two years in regular usage. I don't get anywhere near the 7 years they claim and I have tried a LOT of them.

I want to take care of the earth, but that's the kind of stuff that makes me want to pour used motor oil into the drain just to rebel from the whacked up environmental lobby. Who is it who is greedy again?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Since the last bulb plant in American has now closed it doors,

I am in a confrontational mode this morning so my suggestion is that only incandescent bulbs made in the USA can be sold in the USA after 1-1-2012.

That repeals a dud of a law and creates some jobs and capital investment at the same time.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:37 AM
v7n Mentor

On Topic
My wife (a former research scientist) swears by the new bulbs, and I try to minimize technical arguments with people that qualified for Mensa. [I also like to sleep indoors.] I don't care what goes in the socket long as I can see what I'm reading anyway. Haven't experienced the problems mentioned here.

If you wanna hear me get cranky about lights... discuss those blinding new blue halogens they're putting on cars.

On a sidenote... Shel, you're just not Omar Khayyam
"Light Bulbs, You and a Nauseating Dinner" won't replace "A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou". Keep trying though.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
On Topic
On a sidenote... Shel, you're just not Omar Khayyam
"Light Bulbs, You and a Nauseating Dinner" won't replace "A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou". Keep trying though.
LOL

Well, I just bought a large box of incandescent bulbs - I just think I look better by filament light.

I think women everywhere should protest based solely on the pallid complexions we all have when using bluish toned alternative bulbs.

They really are better for reading, too.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I just think I look better by filament light.
I look even better by candlelight, and in a darkened room with the curtains shut I look like Brad Pitt.

Knew a Realtor that was a little sensitive about her age... which wasnt helped by the fact that her pictures on ads were so touched up people that met her in person assumed she'd been in a disfiguring accident after the ad came out. She burned candles in her office (she said she like the smell) and never turned on the lights.

Unfortunately she wasn't exactly a neat freak, and the mess on her desk dang near caused the office to burn down when the candle ignited the corner of a contract and the whole top of her desk went into flames.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby