Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 02-04-2011, 02:50 PM

I have been in the market to refinance my house. I learned it is good to shop around a little today. By getting quotes from three different places I will be saving $9000.00. Seems worth the extra five hours it took to get several quotes.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 03:38 PM

In, In, In !!! Great challenge.
Today I learned how to get more fans on facebook. Too excited.

Carla's Angel

Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 PM
v7n Mentor

Just published a little post about the challenge:

I double dog dare you ...

Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyDenz View Post
I have been in the market to refinance my house. I learned it is good to shop around a little today. By getting quotes from three different places I will be saving $9000.00. Seems worth the extra five hours it took to get several quotes.
Love seeing some of our challengers get an early start!

This is such a valuable lesson in life. Sometimes, just taking the time to check out other options leads to wonderful things!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:36 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Cherre View Post
I'm going to try this challenge. I hope I'm up for it!

I just posted what I learned today on my blog. (Actually, it's what I learned NOT to do -- just as important, don't you think?!)

One of the things I might have to learn is how & why to do Facebook - I've been very resistant. I hope others post about this - or maybe it'll be covered in depth in the upcoming SEO classes. FYI, I'm looking less for the technical hows than the "how to do it so you're not simply either repeating everything on your blog, sounding like a self-important jerk, or wasting everyone's time, including your own." And why? How can this help my business?

Thanks for the challenge!
Most often in life, I have learned what NOT to do the hard way, but it is definitely a lesson we usually only have to learn once...

Old 02-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Today I learned that if you call the cable company, tell them your wife is complaining about the bill and you are going to need to change to dish to get some peace that they will give you discounted services.....

Old 02-04-2011, 11:02 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedal View Post
Today I learned that if you call the cable company, tell them your wife is complaining about the bill and you are going to need to change to dish to get some peace that they will give you discounted services.....
It is amazing how sometimes just asking will make a difference, huh?

Old 02-05-2011, 02:07 AM

I'm in Cricket, I figure if 30 people are doing this challenge and post their learnings each day, then I'll learn 30 things every day <grin>

Old 02-05-2011, 07:36 AM
v7n Mentor

I know I'll *hear* 30 things a day, but will I learn them???

I have thought about this. The challenge isn't to uncover some new fact every day, but to make it mine. That's the real challenge. In my blog post, I mention that I am a docent at a local museum. I give tours twice a week and I try to add at least one piece of new information to my spiel each week. That I repeat it back to museum visitors makes it stick. Last night I read a book on Key West and its architecture. I found several new pieces of information, but I couldn't tell you what they are right now. However, I did sit down with a notebook and pen, and scribbled as I read things I want to learn. So, I can go back later and learn them.

On the other hand, sometimes new information is so striking that we absorb it the first time we encounter it. I read an article in National Geographic this week about the limestone quarries under Paris. Fascinating. They were outside Paris when it was a Roman settlement, but eventually Paris expanded until the quarries were under a large part of the southern area of the City. In the 1700s there were several collapses in which several buildings were swallowed and lives lost. The city undertook to map the quarries, and to reinforce them where needed and to create access tunnels. That work goes on today.

I had heard of the catacombs, of course, where the bones of many Parisians are stacked in neat rows. The catacombs -- which were created out of the old quarries -- of the are just one small part of the Paris underground tunnels and caverns and the only legally accessible area... but perhaps my knowledge of the catacombs provided an anchor for this new information.

I also learned that the Paris Resistance also made use of the old quarries during the German occupation of WWII.

Something of a sub culture has grown up around the underground today -- and the people who sneak down there to party are called 'cataphiles,' I think ... it's the January issue of National Geographic if you want to know more. There are some stunning visuals, as you would expect from NG ... another reason I learned as much as I did in one sitting, I expect.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 02-05-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 AM
v7n Mentor

I just learned something new! Just now! I made today's SEO tip on how Ezine Articles asked for ReTweets in their newsletters ... and then I decided to add a please RT this tip ... so I had to figure out how to create that sort of link! It was a pain in the butt, but now I know how. I will make that tomorrow's tip. In the meantime, if you like it, please Click here to ReTweet it!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:29 PM
The Controversial Coder

I have learned today that giving into the lethargic feeling and just doing absolutely nothing all day when you have so much to do just ends up making you feel a little bit depressed.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

February 5

I learned to make yarn buttons today.

Quote:
The result is a lovely button made of yarn, with a rather sea urchin-like structure and appearance.
Question: did I miss the jpg of the button to link my blog readers to this challenge, or hasn't it been posted yet since the challenge hasn't officially started?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

After shoveling the snow out of the driveway and street again.... I was tired and sat down in front of this computer to check out a couple of my sites in webmaster tools..... Found something that I had never seen anywhere before.

One of my sites has a main site and a couple sub sites on it. Just noticed that now in webmaster tools it shows not only sitelinks for the index page but also separate sitelinks for the blog. 15 sitelinks in all.....

Never knew that could happen. Must be something new.

edit - I was also reminded yet again how much I dislike shoveling snow.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

February 6

Today's post is about both the knitting process and the learning process involved in making a pair of baby socks.

Quote:
It was all a beautiful learning progression, and one Iím grateful for.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:26 PM
v7n Mentor

I learned that potassium can reduce the effects of too much salt intake.

I actually read it in a newsletter I get called Bottom Line, but I don't think there is an online version.

Quote:
Can a person take potassium to offset too much sodium?

From the preceding discussion, it should be clear that the major concern in someone with high sodium is high blood pressure. Therefore, the appropriate question to ask is "Can a person take potassium to offset high blood pressure?" Early studies seemed to suggest that consuming more potassium can lower your blood pressure. For example, in a 1991 review published in the "Journal of Hypertension," Francesco Cappucio and Graham MacGregor summarized data on potassium consumption and hypertension in over 500 individuals, and concluded that potassium supplementation can significantly lower blood pressure. However, more recent data has been less enthusiastic. For example, in a 1999 review published in the "Canadian Medical Association Journal," by Ellen Burgess and colleagues, using data generated by following many thousands of people, sometimes for a decade or more, found insufficient evidence to recommend potassium as a supplement to lower high blood pressure. They did, however, recommend potassium supplementation to prevent stroke.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/27...#ixzz1DEBwMaDN
Here are some good sources of potassium (http://www.menieres-disease.ca/menie...otassium.htm):

Quote:
The first group has the highest 600mg content of potassium: for:
  • 12 dried apricot halves
  • 5 dried peach halves
  • 1 cup of lima beans
  • 1 cup any type cooked legumes
  • 1 cup cooked spinach
  • 1/2 cup of raisins

The next group has 400 mgms. per
  • 3 ounces of chicken
  • 1/2 cup cubed of avocados
  • 1 medium banana
  • 1 cup cubed cantaloupe
The article suggested you take twice as much postassium as sodium. Those with kidney issues should talk to the doctor.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 PM

Count me in sounds like fun and I am ready to start. I sent a Facebook request and will put the banner on my blog. Thanks Cricket for helping make my life interesting and forcing me to learn something new!!!

Old 02-06-2011, 11:15 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartbird View Post
Count me in sounds like fun and I am ready to start. I sent a Facebook request and will put the banner on my blog. Thanks Cricket for helping make my life interesting and forcing me to learn something new!!!
Ha! I tend to start challenges that I personally need the most and then just drag all y'all with me.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 PM
v7n Mentor

I'm in, hopefully I can keep up with it, now I just have to quickly go blog about it. At least it's my second one today =)

Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Let's see, since my last post in this thread (Feb 3) I have learnt:

- The manufacturer of my tub still makes it in 2 shades of beige so there will be no wool pulled over my eyes about replacing my tub the restoration people damaged. (does that count?)

- DIF gel works better than their other product for removing wallpaper. This tool works great too! (we have a different brand though)

- Be careful how you set up Dreamweaver Site component. If ya do it wrong and start deleting unnecessary files from the list it deletes it from the computer (into the recycle bin). Nothing lost, restored the files, backed up the whole project folder and tried again.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 02-06-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:54 PM
v7n Mentor

And blogged to the main challenge thread here at V7. Sorry, I'm late in showing up. Maybe you'll get a trickle of interest from my blog mention =)

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Closed Thread