Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I had forgotten all about this thread I had created some time back until this mourning. I'm jumping with joy for the act of kindness I received in an e-mail this mourning. For someone to even think of doing what they had done for me just blows me away:-)

Sorry, I can't share the details:-) But!!!

I'll be sure to pass an act of kindness on whenever I'm given the opportunity to do so myself.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 AM
v7n Mentor

If I think about it, it doesn't take long for me to remember quite a number of recent things that I have done for others, and that people have done for me. It's funny, but sometimes the little things mean so much to people, and I am surprised at their thankfulness. Then again, sometimes someone does some act for me that they may think small, but which really touches my heart.

I was talking about this yesterday. We were approached by a man with a sob story (maybe too PERFECT a sob story in fact, complete with sick kids needing medicine). I was at Sonic. I had just had my "big day on the town" getting out of the house for the first time in four weeks. And I had just spent a grand total of 99 cents plus tax at Sonic. THAT was my "big day." Things are tight. Of course, this man didn't know that, and I was wearing my one nice outfit. So I felt like a heel with him asking for money, and me going over in my mind that I had just put 2 gallons of gas in my car the day before so I could go buy rabbit feed, because 2 gallons was all I could afford. Anyway, I gave him $2. And the funny thing is, I immediately came by $10 after that. So it worked out for me, I guess.

Better was the remembrance of probably the BEST act I can remember doing for someone. It turned out to be for a friend, and a stranger, all at once. I had come to town to stay with my childhood best friend for a week, where she lived with her husband and their two kids. I brought my daughter with me. Times were hard for them then, and I could see that they only ate because all their friends in the apartment complex kept conveniently having "extra." I was determined not to over-burden her other friends with my added presence, so I went to the grocery store and spent about $200 on all kinds of groceries. The look on her kid's face when he came out and saw me coming up with the bags was priceless, and he ran in and yelled, "Mom!!! She brought FOOD!!!" It almost made me cry that it was so precious to them. Well worth more than the $200, which I could afford back then.

But while I was at the grocery store, buying food for them, a man started talking to me as I was taking it to my car. He said he was getting paid in a week, and just needed money for his family for food. He offered to let me accompany him into the store and just pay the cashier, instead of giving him cash, if I had the time, as "proof" he really wanted food and not alcohol or drugs. Well ... I went in with him, and you know what? That man could SHOP! He bought cheap bags of chicken pieces, a big bag of potatoes, and all kinds of REAL food, and loaded up a grocery cart, and it came out to around $20 (this was about 8 years back, so $20 bought more back then too). He was so genuinely grateful, and I was impressed that this man could feed his family for a week on nutritious food for so little money, I felt like I had been blessed and learned a lesson just by going to the store with him.

Then to get the kid's reaction (he's special to me, I was at his birth and held him before his mama did) ... just really made my day.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:50 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Thank you for sharing Inspired Ink! That is simply wonderful and may you be blessed for years and years to come:-) I'm very touched by what you have shared!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:38 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

It's hard to tell about personal acts of kindness without it sounding like selfpraise. But I do have a short story to share. During my high school, I usually went back home uphill on foot. One day, at the most difficult part of the hill there was a really old lady going really really slow in the same direction. I was in a hurry since I had basketball practice later on. Still when I reached her, she seemed so tired. I asked if she needed help going up, and she took my hand and leaned on me. The path which I normally passed in 5 minutes took 25 minutes at her pace, carrying her groceries. She told me about her grandson and his work abroad. When we reached her home, she thanked me along with a look of gratitude which surprised me because I didn't think it wasn't anything so unusual. It totally made my day

Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Maybe this one is old school but recently I assisted an old woman to cross the street full of fast moving vehicles. I know only a few do this but I am one of those few.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
???????

I gave someone m&m's and other candy, but that hardly compares to what they've given me in the past, so I need to do better.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby