Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 AM
v7n Mentor

In my own observation things go south quickly when those involved fall into the habit of disparaging others based on broad stereotypes. Incorrectly attributing a negative trait to a large group is frequently used in lieue of a valid argument, and is an inflammatory habit.

This of course is a favorite crutch of liberal Democrats, those communist SOBs in Canada, and when they arent busy surrendering to somebody, the French.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
This of course is a favorite crutch of liberal Democrats, those communist SOBs in Canada, and when they arent busy surrendering to somebody, the French.
Don't forget the "shoot first ask later" Texans

Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

I've faced the fighting situation many times in the web but you see when we keep on target the weapons then they will be obviously doing the same and more than us. So, silence is better some times. And it works for me

Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

One problem with the internet, is that we only know people by what they've posted... so far.

If you are dealing with a habitual liar or a sh*t-provoker, it takes time for that to be observed.

Another problem is that if you don't hit that post key right now, someone else may beat you to posting... either your point, or something irrelevant and derail a discussion that you have a stake in...

And we really need to take some time to consider whether we want to participate in a discussion that has our blood boiling.

As Rob stated, some people will say anything... If they can get a rise out of someone, they 'win'.

I lived in a communal society with a buncha those 'trolls', and arguing without some kind of farther-reaching goal than simply out-shouting some idiot is pointless.

We all forget that arguing with an idiot leaves our audience convinced that there's 2 idiots squabbling.

A discussion online requires a lot more thought than p2p, as the printed word leaves a lot open to interpretation, and we have enough trouble understanding someone's point when they're standing next to us.

People forget that giving the other person enough rope to hang themselves is going to make the point far more efficiently than typing a missive.

----------------------------

Rather than asking why, Maybe ask for links to some of the online battles we've been involved in, and a discussion as to whether we'd have done that again with a chance to "do over"?

Add to the discussion... what we were trying to accomplish, and an answer to the question of "Do you think you were successful?"

Old 03-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I am working on an article about fighting (disrespectfully disagreeing) on the internet. I would love to hear your input.

Why do you think discussions escalate so quickly online?
I think when the conversation falls in disrespect, it doesn't bring anything smart, but you cannot let them attack your honor.

I admit that I have a strong temper, and it could be positive or negative.

I believe that disagrement is the very core of democracy if that stay civil.

I am very happy to be in the USA in real life, because in my country it is very agressive, and provocations are very commun particularely in Paris.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

One thing that is missing above, is that a great deal of communication is non-verbal. That slight tone changes that take the edges off the hard words. The smile on a face that separates a friendly comment from a verbal stabbing.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrm View Post
One thing that is missing above, is that a great deal of communication is non-verbal. That slight tone changes that take the edges off the hard words. The smile on a face that separates a friendly comment from a verbal stabbing.
Very valid point. People can't see the smile on your face. Also people may not understand the subtle nuances of the English language.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:18 PM

It seems like people feel like they need to put other people down in order to boost themselves up to higher social levels. Do you get what im saying?

I belong to another forum I do not even want to mention because of the fighting that goes on within the forum. Pretty Rediculous.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 PM
v7n Mentor

Been away for a bit, and I just wanted to say it is an interesting topic, and pretty much all the answers have already been given (that I could think of anyway).

I was in another place online today and observed someone who was being pretty harsh with his words in attacking everyone. He was picking fights that weren't actually there (mentioning his religion and certain moral behaviors as well as disparaging the USA when no one else had even brought these topics up). It was apparent to me he had a particular axe to grind and was trying to bring it into that battle. Judging by his immense post count, I'd hazard the guess he did that quite often.

But my first answer would have been anonymity. I think people are brave enough to do that online when they are (I'd guess) probably afraid to do it in person. Bullies with no other outlet.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:53 AM
v7n Mentor

It's rather incredible that no one has got into a fight on the topic online fighting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired Ink View Post
I was in another place online today and observed someone who was being pretty harsh with his words in attacking everyone. He was picking fights that weren't actually there (mentioning his religion and certain moral behaviors as well as disparaging the USA when no one else had even brought these topics up). It was apparent to me he had a particular axe to grind and was trying to bring it into that battle. Judging by his immense post count, I'd hazard the guess he did that quite often.
Have you kicked his ass with arguments or debated him to oblivion? Are we to conclude that people with high post count are more prone to verbal/textual fight picking?
Interesting idea

Cricket 37,479
Muddy 13,033
robjones 8,065
Scriptman 7,145
Natural Elements 6,767

Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired Ink View Post

And are people still responding to this troll?

Forums often have an ignore button specifically for this type of individual.

There are a lot of people that come into a discussion and use all kinds of dirty tactics for the purpose of derailing a discussion, and advancing their own agenda.

I've been reading a comprehensive list of these kinds of arguments over at the orange papers .

While you are free to reject his (orange's) premise, the work that he's done in collecting these ideas is impressive...

I think that everybody else with an axe to grind would do well to follow his (orange's) example [set up their own site]... rather than fill unrelated forums with conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kju385 View Post
Are we to conclude that people with high post count are more prone to verbal/textual fight picking?
Interesting idea

Cricket 37,479
Muddy 13,033
robjones 8,065
Scriptman 7,145
Natural Elements 6,767
hmmm....

Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone View Post
I think that everybody else with an axe to grind would do well to follow his (orange's) example [set up their own site]... rather than fill unrelated forums with conflict.
Of course, there's one little itty-bitty problem with setting up an axe-grinding site...

It makes us subject to threats...
Sometimes there's a vested interest in keeping things "on the down low".

If we have the intestinal fortitude and the "strength of our convictions" to refuse to bow to threats, and blackmail, the people who are threatening us... will move on to threaten our webhosts, and finding webhosts who aren't easily cowed can be difficult...

We all remember WikiLeaks...

Last edited by stone; 03-05-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kju385 View Post
It's rather incredible that no one has got into a fight on the topic online fighting...

Have you kicked his ass with arguments or debated him to oblivion? Are we to conclude that people with high post count are more prone to verbal/textual fight picking?
Interesting idea

Cricket 37,479
Muddy 13,033
robjones 8,065
Scriptman 7,145
Natural Elements 6,767

Well I'm a pretty nice guy and I have to say Cricket is, those other three guys you may draw you own conclusions about.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I don't like online fighting and tend to walk away before I get involved. Call me Mr. Niceguy but I prefer to fight with my fists in person and not chatter online. lol

Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 PM
v7n Mentor

I have 30,424 reasons to believe otherwise snake, if Inspired Ink theory is true. Perhaps you fight with fists over webcam, ah kids these days

Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Well I'm a pretty nice guy and I have to say Cricket is, those other three guys you may draw you own conclusions about.
HA! I have been known to put someone in their place now and then.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 PM

I like to avoid confrontational subjects......
I don't get paid to fight any more.....
30 plus years was enough......

Beside I believe that it can be damaging to a forum....
Maybe I am just getting old and more mellow.....

Old 03-05-2012, 11:54 PM

Fighting 101

Its always about who has the bigger ego. The only way to resolve a fight online is for one to admit their mistakes and for one to listen to the others point of view.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Blue Rose Mentor

There are a lot of different personalities out there, some good, some bad, and people need to make allowances for that. I mean, regardless of what you do or say, somewhere you're going to get someone else thinking, "not them again", or worse. With the internet giving us the power to say what we want to without some sort of repercussion, it makes us bolder and certain aspects of our personality shine through brighter than others. It's not going to make everyone happy 100% of the time.

You get the trolls that like irking people, but you also get people that are seriously opinionated and will not bend, buckle or distort themselves to see the whole picture.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Contributing Member

"You can always tell the English, you can always tell the Dutch, you can always tell the Yankees, but you will not tell them much!"..........

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby