Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yep IMO its primarily about the anonymity you have behind your monitor, but that said I tend to get into disagreements with trolls who persist in spreading nonsense on the forum, bad personality trait I guess, but then someone has to make an effort.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Blue Rose Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I wouldn't think of it that way, I do the same thing sometimes. Sometimes I know they're trying to make a point, or get attention, but I have limits like everyone does, and then I lose my grip on that brain mouth thing, and I end up saying something.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If only I could follow this advice I would probably be better off:

"put brain in gear before opening mouth"

Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
"put brain in gear before opening mouth"
Also:

"Use the search function/Google before opening a new thread"

Saw many arguments that abruptly ended just because someone was smart enough to use Google and research the matter....

Old 03-06-2012, 02:53 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kju385 View Post
Have you kicked his ass with arguments or debated him to oblivion? Are we to conclude that people with high post count are more prone to verbal/textual fight picking?
Me? Nope. Would have been a waste of time.

The discussion was about a very sad tragedy in the tornadoes of the recent days. There were many people involved, and this guy. I simply pointed out that picking people apart on grammar might be petty for the topic at hand (didn't even get into the other things he was trying to drag into it, mostly religion and politics). I wanted to hint that his comments were out of place. And I speculated on what made him a "top" person on the site (I imagine his post count).

I'm not at all saying that people with a high post count are prone to fight picking. More like an observation that if someone is prone to fight picking, they can quickly generate a high post count by debating with every other post made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone
And are people still responding to this troll?

Forums often have an ignore button specifically for this type of individual.

There are a lot of people that come into a discussion and use all kinds of dirty tactics for the purpose of derailing a discussion, and advancing their own agenda.
Yes, people responded vigorously to him. I think emotions were high because of the topic, and it seems they typed in anger the first thing that came to mind and hit "send". Probably exactly what he wanted them to do. It might be the best way to make someone else look foolish -- catch them in their emotions like that.

I don't think this one had an ignore.

And yes, it looked to me like he had an agenda he was plastering all over the place. I never could figure out EXACTLY what it was, not that I cared enough to invest much time in sorting it out. He seemed to be pro-Muslim, anti-America, and perhaps anti-moral (which as far as I know, doesn't fit with pro-Muslim). And full of anger.

Odd guy. Not likeable at all. And not worth arguing with or figuring out. I haven't even been back to see if he replied to me.

As far as the guy setting up his own site ... I suspect he wouldn't get anyone to visit except people who agreed with him (whoever that might be). Probably wouldn't generate the kind of "discussion" he's looking for.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I decided to reopen this thread for further discussion. I would love to hear your feedback.

Imagine the difference we could make if (for even one day) we chose not to fuss, fight, argue, and hate.

What if today we chose to spend our time finding ways to bring someone joy or even just a single smile.

Oh the ripples we could create....

Quote:
"I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples." — Mother Teresa

Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Latest Blog:
A New Project

A smile and a joke can go along way...
But sadly, some people have such miserable attitudes
that they refuse to let the world smile...

The glass "is" half full...

Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Why do you think discussions escalate so quickly online?
It is just another sign of how morals and morality are being degraded in our society. People talk and act in ways towards others today that they never would have dreamed of 40 years ago. As the population increases life is devalued, as political correctness is imposed on society the lines are blurred on traditions and morality. The more technologically advanced we become the more we see people show less restraint and patience due to their me me me and now now now expectations.

The lack of respect towards others on the internet is just a sign of how big the sinkhole is that society is sliding into.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

probably the anonymity gives many users the courage to go and say things they would not dare do face to face.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

A good percentage of people on the internet are unstable clowns, that's why.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I believe fights online can escalate so fast, because realistically it much easier to deal with repercussions. It the battle of words, not the battle of fists.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:42 PM

I think things get out of hand so quickly, because people aren't themselves online. They can be whoever or whatever they want to be. A lot of people use the internet to get away from real life, maybe they get made fun of in real life, who knows. Then when someone disrespects them online, it triggers something that reminds them of their life outside of the internet. Then they feel cornered, because they have no out. This heats them further. This is just my opinion.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I am working on an article about fighting (disrespectfully disagreeing) on the internet. I would love to hear your input.

Why do you think discussions escalate so quickly online?
70% of the users are almost unaware about the fact on the topic being discussed.

If there is someone who is known to the content they are being argued by these 70's%.

The topic becomes hot and draws attention of other users to participate. Here the post becomes an arena and all the participants are the contenders. As told by Robojones, In an online community , people are bestowed with degrees and philosophies that give them power to get engaged into meaningless discussions.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby