Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 04-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Cruelty to birds

I leaned a step ladder up against the back of a house under the overhang about a week ago. Yesterday there was this big fluffy birds nest on the top of the ladder. Thankfully there were not yet eggs so I tossed it to the ground. I just can't leave the ladder there for for 6-8 weeks. I sure hope she can hold them in until she can find a better place.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

That's ok. A bird keeps trying to build a next on the cable box beside our back door. It is about an inch away from the door. Not only do we walk out this door daily and scare her off, there is a kitty tower right next to the door. I keep seeing the cat peek around the door at the nest. Not sure building a home next to a neighbor that literary wants to have you over for supper is such a good idea.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

I have a bluebird house in my backyard. Bluebirds are very territorial against other bluebirds so it is constantly attacking the window when it sees its' reflection.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 PM
v7n Mentor

LOL on Nealrm's and Elba's birds. I'm sure yours will be ok, Script.

I have one that builds its nest 3 years running now on my back porch. It doesn't seem to mind sharing with nesting geese I put back there too (I never use that door so it's kind of a blind ally, the dog crate is on the inside of the door). But it freaks out when I go in to check the goose nests.

There is another one that has built its nest in an open coop I was GOING to close in for some other geese in my chicken yard. It freaks out when I go back there to take care of the chickens and rabbits, but it isn't bothered by the animals. There are certainly plenty of resources to hand for it.

Speaking of territorial, I've actually decided I appreciate the blackbirds that have built their nests in the trees above my chicken yard. Blackbirds will take a baby chick when it's very small, but a couple of weeks ago I watched them rout a hawk en masse ... the hawk kept trying to return and every time it did, a bunch of blackbirds took after it and one in particular dive-bombed it constantly until it was far away. The hawk finally gave up.

I'd MUCH rather have a chorus of blackbirds out there than a hawk. There's been times I got sick of them descending on the house in huge flocks and once or twice I might have ... ummm ... dispatched a few. I'm rethinking that though, and have decided to put up with them. They can't be all bad if they drive hawks away.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:03 PM
v7n Mentor

I have a nest in my boys baseball bag hanging in the garage. She flies in each night as the door goes down. lol

Old 04-07-2012, 10:29 PM

I used to really like birds....
Until I bought a black car.....

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby