Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 07-26-2012, 01:31 PM
No Longer Active

Thumbs down Food Prices Rising

With all the talk of food prices rising because of the droughts, I wonder how many people will stock up ahead of time.

How much food do you keep in your home at at given time? A week? A month?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Administrator

I always keep at least a month's worth of food on hand. I live in a hurricane and ice storm prone area so you just have to be prepared for up to 2 weeks without power and expect the grocery stores to either be closed or poorly stocked during that time.

I have thought about adding to the stockpile in preparation for the rising food prices, though. It's just good to be prepared for the realities of life.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 PM
No Longer Active

It makes me think that I should probably buy a deep freezer.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

We have a small chest freezer, and I grocery shop once a month in the Big City. We usually have at least a couple of months worth of food around, just given the winters here. In addition to the regular stuff, there's always some canned soups, peanut butter and jam, oodles of noodles, etc. around.

And I'm always looking for good deals. Just Monday our local grocery store had 10lb. logs of ground chuck on sale for $1.99/lb. I bought 20 lbs., then froze it in 1lb. sections.

Oh yeah, we DO keep several months worth of COFFEE in the house. If we can't get COFFEE, life just isn't worth living...

Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

I don't really keep extra food ahead of time because I haven't had nay problems with not having food because of a drought or problem like that.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 PM

Prices were up due to gas being up.......gas went down here about 60 cents a gallon....
Food stayed the same.....

We have had plenty of rain...Florida has a lot of farming....
my bet is we will ship out to make more money..
And ship in to be able to charge us more....

We keep a few weeks on hand......

Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
The cost of filling grocery carts in America is going up. The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced today that it is projecting as much as a 5 percent price hike for some food items over the next nine months.

“Of course I’m concerned,” said shopper Barbara Webb. “I’m concerned for the people who can’t afford it.”

Behind the expensive jump is the drought, now covering 60 percent of the United States, pushing up prices for feed that translate into higher prices for beef, pork and chicken products.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...next-5-months/

Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Don't worry, they are going to import food from China it will cost less...not sure how safe it is...

Costco is turning into Walmart
http://mikenv.hubpages.com/hub/Costc...g-into-Walmart

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 07-26-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

If I had to guess I wouldn't be surprised to see a drop in meat prices over the next six months as producers rush animals to market so they don't have to feed them at the expensive grain prices.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I buy food once a week and don't really have much room in my freezer as I have an apartment and stuck with what I got in the kitchen. My parents have 2 fridge's and always stock pile food.

In fact, I should sneak over there to steal some.

With the drought going on, if food price's go up, more money out of my pocket to feed myself. This just stink's.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Mm. Myself, i used to store vegetables which can be used for at least 1 week. And coming to the grains, etc. I will be storing them in a separate room which can be utilized at least 2-3 months This is all because of price hike.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 PM

Hmmmm...I still got a month's supply from Y2K so I should be okay. Ew LOL

Prices are going up without the drought, thanks to the value of our dollar dropping. I'm sure they will blame it ALL on the drought, though.

I do need to stock up before I can't afford to eat anymore.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

We keep several weeks worth of basics around. I shop the other half cooks from scratch so we have to agree on what to keep on hand. For us it's the industrial size cans of tomatoes, corn, fruit, big bags of rice, beans, flour and sugar. I'm in the process of stockpiling as I figure we can afford. Buying bulk basics cuts longer term costs even if its $10 for a 25# bag of sugar, that bag lasts about 3 months or more, same for flour and rice! As for meats our local market's meat SUCKS! We head for a local meat processor and buy 20# of frozen hamburger for a month. I tend to look for bargains for chicken or other meats very rarely going after the expensive stuff. The garden is not very big but it may have to expand to grow quantity in the incredibly short Alaskan growing season along with getting some grow lights for the winters. Spices and herbs can be grown indoors year round and less expensively so we do that all the time.
Yup, we're stocking up and I think the goal is 3-6 months worth of a stockpile under the house in non refrigerated goods will be a good idea for us along with filling the freezer with as much as we can!
Our food prices go up and nothing has dropped in price....gas was over $4 a gallon a few weeks ago and it only dropped about .20 cents but has been climbing again! Prices will never go back down until the laws of supply and demand kick in! Elementary economics!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:01 AM
v7n Mentor

I keep about 2 weeks' worth of food as that is about all I have room to store. Someday maybe I will get a deep freezer, but then my family doesn't eat all that much meat. When food prices go up, I usually buy the things that are cheaper. If pork is expensive, I'll buy turkey legs. If oranges are hard to get, I'll grab some canned mandarins for my little picky eater and perhaps head out to the farmer's market to see what other types of produce are affordable.

One of these days when I have a house, I will build an enormous greenhouse and worry much less about the cost of produce. Until then... I'll just have to watch the prices and get what I can afford.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby