Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #181  
Old 07-10-2006, 12:34 PM
chicgeek's Avatar
chicgeek chicgeek is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-19-04
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 14,188
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Oh geez.
 

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #182  
Old 07-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Atom's Avatar
Atom Atom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 32,608
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristeejo
Dear god in heaven - you guys need to go outside and take some deep breaths of real life.
Yeah. You know what kind of bothers me is the fact that kids aren't given good physical chores these days.

What are we becoming?

The damned kids (nephews) sit in and play vidgames and I'm out working my a$$ off and can barely breath due to emphysema! lol



Truth is even if they offered and did help, it would be totally inadequate and I'd end up doing it anyway. They do not like work and it shows in it.







Last edited by Atom; 07-11-2006 at 12:23 PM.
 
  #183  
Old 07-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Trapper's Avatar
Trapper Trapper is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 06-03-05
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 840
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Webmaster
As far as DP is concern, I say there is a huge crowd, we often see people fighting over Infraction/iTraders. getting rid on anonymity would create more mess.
What's your point?
 
  #184  
Old 07-11-2006, 03:54 PM
The Webmaster's Avatar
The Webmaster The Webmaster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-19-06
Posts: 133
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper
What's your point?
My point is, since DP is very crowded place, We face people fighting over iTrader/infractions given to them.
If Shawn makes rep-system the same as we have here on v7n i.e. non-anon, most prolly we will see 10s of posts daily like "hey why this person given me a red rep for this post" or worse people start red repping each other without any reason, just to take revenge, since they'll know who'd given them red rep.
This already happens if anyone tries and dare to sign up their reps, I get people hunting for my posts to just give the red back to me.

I personally dont feel it would be wise step for DP.

but at last it totaly depends on the DP administration. Its been proposed 100s of time and everytime Shawn said NO,

I think I made my point very much clear
 
  #185  
Old 07-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Trapper's Avatar
Trapper Trapper is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 06-03-05
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 840
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Or it would stop people repping for retarded reasons.
 
  #186  
Old 07-11-2006, 04:07 PM
John Scott's Avatar
John Scott John Scott is offline
Individualist
 
Join Date: 09-27-03
Location: Wherever I want.
Posts: 28,046
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper
Or it would stop people repping for retarded reasons.
Exactly.
 
  #187  
Old 07-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Brian's Avatar
Brian Brian is offline
Super Trooper
 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Posts: 4,810
iTrader: 0 / 0%
It makes people accountable. Accountability is very unpopular.
 
  #188  
Old 07-11-2006, 04:19 PM
G10's Avatar
G10 G10 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 05-10-04
Location: UK - Cheshire
Posts: 11,765
iTrader: 5 / 100%
The bigger the environment, the harder it is to control and I guess it works well for them.
 
  #189  
Old 07-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Tyler Banfield's Avatar
Tyler Banfield Tyler Banfield is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-11-06
Posts: 190
iTrader: 1 / 100%
There are plenty of people on DP who always attach their name to whatever rep they give (whether it's good or bad).

I think the anoymous feature is important because it helps to avoid many stupid "rep wars".
 
  #190  
Old 07-11-2006, 09:40 PM
daboss daboss is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-08-06
Location: Here
Posts: 188
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper
Or it would stop people repping for retarded reasons.
and where would that leave the newbie who wants to red-rep a veteran with a string of greens? the newbie wouldn't dare red rep cause a retaliation would wipe him out... there are lots of pros and cons for anonymity but in a busy place like dp, i think it makes sense.
 
  #191  
Old 07-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Daniel-Z's Avatar
Daniel-Z Daniel-Z is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-19-04
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,498
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Screw anonymous rep. It gets abused. Screw the whole argument. Alot of people on the net are faceless cowardly liars its as simple as that.
 
  #192  
Old 07-11-2006, 11:26 PM
John Scott's Avatar
John Scott John Scott is offline
Individualist
 
Join Date: 09-27-03
Location: Wherever I want.
Posts: 28,046
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Banfield
I think the anoymous feature is important because it helps to avoid many stupid "rep wars".
How does it stop rep wars? By simply allowing the victim to be hit time and time again by anonymous cowards? People are red repping anonymously because it is anonymous. If they had to sign their name to it, they would have to have a valid reason.

V7N demonstrates beautifully that very fact.
 
  #193  
Old 07-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Leon Leon is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 670
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I like the rep system we have...wow I'm a freaking old member now that I actually look at the join dates lol.
 
  #194  
Old 07-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Tyler Banfield's Avatar
Tyler Banfield Tyler Banfield is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-11-06
Posts: 190
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
How does it stop rep wars? By simply allowing the victim to be hit time and time again by anonymous cowards? People are red repping anonymously because it is anonymous. If they had to sign their name to it, they would have to have a valid reason.

V7N demonstrates beautifully that very fact.
I meant that two people would not get into a "rep war" just because one person gave the other a red rep first.

Regardless, I'm already liking the rep system here more. I've only been here for a day and I've already got more green blobs than 1500 posts have gotten me at DP.

Keep up the great work John Scott, you've got a great forum/system going here
 
  #195  
Old 07-12-2006, 02:39 AM
Zap's Avatar
Zap Zap is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 01-15-06
Posts: 13,770
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Banfield
I meant that two people would not get into a "rep war" just because one person gave the other a red rep first.
You, obviously, have not experienced the "rep gangs" over at DP yet.
Those are great.

Not only does an idiot red rep you for disagreeing with your point of view, but all his buddies can jump in and red you because of the anonymous rep. So, instead of getting one red for a dumb reason, you can get 5!!! Great system!!!
 
  #196  
Old 07-12-2006, 03:04 AM
Tyler Banfield's Avatar
Tyler Banfield Tyler Banfield is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-11-06
Posts: 190
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap
You, obviously, have not experienced the "rep gangs" over at DP yet.
Those are great.

Not only does an idiot red rep you for disagreeing with your point of view, but all his buddies can jump in and red you because of the anonymous rep. So, instead of getting one red for a dumb reason, you can get 5!!! Great system!!!
I guess I have been extremely lucky to avoid any of those situations
 
  #197  
Old 07-12-2006, 03:45 AM
Rezo's Avatar
Rezo Rezo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-13-06
Location: Republic of Moldova
Posts: 256
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap
You, obviously, have not experienced the "rep gangs" over at DP yet.
Those are great.

Not only does an idiot red rep you for disagreeing with your point of view, but all his buddies can jump in and red you because of the anonymous rep. So, instead of getting one red for a dumb reason, you can get 5!!! Great system!!!
Yes! And I also hate that I remember how I prooved a guy wasn't allowed to sell a script, and when I prooved it, many of posts of mine (regardless bad or good they were) were pointed by red. I hate the rep system But the iTrader system is really nice, we can add it on V7N too.
 
  #198  
Old 07-12-2006, 04:00 AM
Trapper's Avatar
Trapper Trapper is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 06-03-05
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 840
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss
and where would that leave the newbie who wants to red-rep a veteran with a string of greens? the newbie wouldn't dare red rep cause a retaliation would wipe him out... there are lots of pros and cons for anonymity but in a busy place like dp, i think it makes sense.
MAybe newbies should work up some of their own reputation before thowing it around. Same as the real world. New people that come around acting like they own the place are pushing their luck if you ask me.
 
  #199  
Old 07-12-2006, 05:24 AM
Daniel-Z's Avatar
Daniel-Z Daniel-Z is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-19-04
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,498
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Webmaster
My point is, since DP is very crowded place, We face people fighting over iTrader/infractions given to them.
If Shawn makes rep-system the same as we have here on v7n i.e. non-anon, most prolly we will see 10s of posts daily like "hey why this person given me a red rep for this post" or worse people start red repping each other without any reason, just to take revenge, since they'll know who'd given them red rep.
This already happens if anyone tries and dare to sign up their reps, I get people hunting for my posts to just give the red back to me.

I personally dont feel it would be wise step for DP.

but at last it totaly depends on the DP administration. Its been proposed 100s of time and everytime Shawn said NO,

I think I made my point very much clear
People shouldnt be creating threads about why this person red repd them. they should pm the individual and take it up with them in pm to try and resolve the issue. having a name attached to the red rep would allow them to know who to contact to find out why and how to resolve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper
Or it would stop people repping for retarded reasons.
EXACTLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
It makes people accountable. Accountability is very unpopular.
No doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
How does it stop rep wars? By simply allowing the victim to be hit time and time again by anonymous cowards? People are red repping anonymously because it is anonymous. If they had to sign their name to it, they would have to have a valid reason.

V7N demonstrates beautifully that very fact.
I agree with you 100% John v7n does demonstrate thsi beautifully.

Having a valid reason to red rep doesnt matter at DP because of the fact that the rep system is anonymous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap
You, obviously, have not experienced the "rep gangs" over at DP yet.
Those are great.

Not only does an idiot red rep you for disagreeing with your point of view, but all his buddies can jump in and red you because of the anonymous rep. So, instead of getting one red for a dumb reason, you can get 5!!! Great system!!!
Yep it's completely ridiculous to say the least.

Look at this lol.

I just logged in now and on the 10th at 10 or so pm I get red rep for this post and all that was in the comments was "BALLS"

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...17#post1095817

Ignorant idiots.

Last edited by Daniel-Z; 07-12-2006 at 05:46 AM.
 
  #200  
Old 07-12-2006, 06:15 AM
Ferre's Avatar
Ferre Ferre is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-15-03
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,897
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Me thinks that only spineless cowards have a 'valid' motive to defend anonimous rep.

 
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What s the reason behind this? Swapna SEO Forum 16 03-26-2008 12:52 AM
Don't Take Your Eye Off The Reason You're Doing SEO peter_d SEO Forum 6 08-21-2007 08:19 AM
Any reason to have more than 1 FTP account? dpatel304 Web Hosting Forum 8 04-12-2007 03:59 PM
Another reason for my name! GoogleIsAPain Google Forum 1 08-05-2005 03:38 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:18 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC