Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Post 'Record close' asteroid may miss the Earth but it could take out your phone

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...our-phone.html

Quote:
Scientists say they are sure there is no chance of the 150ft (45.7m) wide space rock hitting the planet.

But there is a remote possibility that it could collide with one of more than 100 telecommunication and weather satellites in fixed orbits above the Earth.

The asteroid, 2012 DA14, has been closely tracked since its discovery a year ago.
It is predicted to reach its nearest point to the Earth at around 7.30pm UK time on Friday.

Experts have calculated it will stay at least 17,200 miles (27,681km) away - easily far enough to be safe, but a very close shave in astronomical terms. Scientists have never observed such a narrow miss before.

Dr Dan Brown, from Nottingham Trent University, said telecommunication satellites - that ping data between our mobile phones - could be in danger.
Travelling at between 12,427mph (20,000kph) and 18,641mph (30,000kph) - around five miles (8km) a second, or eight times the speed of a rifle bullet - the asteroid will fly inside the orbits of high geostationary satellites some 22,000 miles (35,406km) above the Earth.

''These are the satellites that provide us with telecommunications and weather forecasts,'' said Dr Brown.

''There are loads of them but you're talking about a very big area. It would be very unlucky if a satellite was hit. The asteroid is more likely to hit some space junk, but most of this is only about a centimetre across and the impact won't even be noticed.''

Through binoculars, the object should be visible as a tiny dot of light crossing the sky.

''It will be too faint for the naked eye but with binoculars it should be visible if you know where to look. It will be low to the north-eastern horizon and moving quite quickly," said Dr Brown.

''You'll be able to see it pass from the constellation Leo to roughly the Plough, more or less from anywhere in the UK, and it will be bright for about an hour.''

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Things are heating up on a cosmic scale , I wonder if anytime soon we will have an asteroid that is simply "too close" and if realistic scenarios are being developed by the leading space agencies ?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:16 PM

Would "they" tell us if there actually was a likelihood of impact?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejack View Post
Things are heating up on a cosmic scale , I wonder if anytime soon we will have an asteroid that is simply "too close" and if realistic scenarios are being developed by the leading space agencies ?
There have always been large objects flying through space, especially considering we are so close to the asteroid belt. It's really not a surprise that something comes our way once in a while. Jupiter's tremendous gravity shields us from a lot of debris by acting as a slingshot, but sometimes things slip through.

I also keep hearing on the Science channel that some objects are going to come close to Earth in 2022 and again in 2050, but not make impact.

The realistic scenario for stopping an asteroid headed directly toward Earth involves technology that already exists; rocket propulsion. It would require an unmanned vessel with rockets on both the front and back. The rockets on the back would get the vessel to the object. Once it reaches the destination, the rockets on the front would blast against the object to slow it down. If it slows down just enough, it will miss the Earth. Breaking the object up with explosions or firing nuclear weapons at it could just make it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzeratti View Post
Would "they" tell us if there actually was a likelihood of impact?
Phil Plait has debunked every recent doomsay hysteria related to objects from space. Each time he says "such and such is NOT going to hit us", it doesn't. The day Phil Plait and Neil deGrasse Tyson freak out like something from space is going to having a devastating impact, then I will be scared.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejack View Post
I think the realistic scenario is put your head between your legs and kiss your donkey goodbye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectro
The realistic scenario for stopping an asteroid headed directly toward Earth involves technology that already exists; rocket propulsion. It would require an unmanned vessel with rockets on both the front and back. The rockets on the back would get the vessel to the object. Once it reaches the destination, the rockets on the front would blast against the object to slow it down. If it slows down just enough, it will miss the Earth. Breaking the object up with explosions or firing nuclear weapons at it could just make it worse.
I'm getting flashbacks of the Armageddon movie.

Last edited by Belinda; 02-11-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo

Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I would try watching it if it really gets that close to the horizon. I have never witnessed anything of this sort, just want to see what is it all about.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
I think the realistic scenario is put your head between your legs and kiss your donkey goodbye.

I'm getting flashbacks of the Armageddon movie.
Space thrillers for $1000

The answer is: Space Earth Catastrophes

Response: Where are Tommy Lee, Clint and of course, Bruce, when you need them.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby