Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-01-2014, 03:09 PM

Playing Nice with Newbie's

I just read a post in these forums where a newbie with an SEO business asked about how to write an SEO article.

He got a sound beating by a couple of guys who wondered why an SEO Consultant would be asking such a rudimentary question. It's a reasonable question. Maybe he was spamming, maybe not.

I have not written much in this forum, but, looking back over the last 5 years and reading some of my early posts, I am amazed at how green and how dumb I was regarding SEO. My early posts ask question like, "What is a title tag". I laugh at the question now, but at the time, V7N was the place I would come to and do my reading and learning on all the basics.

Apart from thanking the forum for its continued usefulness, I also have to say thank you for its friendliness.

Today I run a successful SEO and Marketing Service for small business online. A lot of the skills that I picked up along the way came from V7N.

It's reminded me that we all need to start somewhere and there is a real benefit to forum users when we can each be patient with newbie and pro alike. I for one am grateful for the patient answers to my dumb questions. Actually, I take that back. There are no dumb questions.

If you are new around here and need to ask a question, don't be afraid to ask it. And, if you get a drubbing from some of the bigger boys, don't lose heart. If your time spent in these forums is genuine, you will profit from it.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 06:04 AM
Latest Blog:
None

David - I understand your concern, and I certainly hope no innocent newbies have suffered a rude response for asking an SEO question.

But moderators and active members have seen soooo much spam done this way.

You say you started out knowing nothing and asking dumb questions - but did you claim to be an SEO expert in your profile while asking basic SEO questions on the forum? This is what they're being called out for. It's a common spam tactic.

I love this forum, and one of the main reasons I joined was because of how nice everyone was. If you think anyone is being rude or mean to another member, please report it. Moderators can usually tell pretty quickly if it's a spammer or an innocent member and will respond accordingly.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Appearance can be deceiving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt View Post
You say you started out knowing nothing and asking dumb questions - but did you claim to be an SEO expert in your profile while asking basic SEO questions on the forum? This is what they're being called out for. It's a common spam tactic.

I love this forum, and one of the main reasons I joined was because of how nice everyone was. If you think anyone is being rude or mean to another member, please report it. Moderators can usually tell pretty quickly if it's a spammer or an innocent member and will respond accordingly.

Everyone should have the right to ask openly without concern of harassment. This is why people relay on forums for broad range of responses. However, if people are claiming to be what they are not then this is something they should be questioned about.

No business starts off experts in a field, they start off as assistance in a field until they later become the experts. Before criticizing however, research should be done on the individual before accusing them of not being what they say they are.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

When I joined here I was an idiot. I even broke a few rules but after awhile I got with the program and ended up a super moderator the past few year's. lol

Some of the older members who are not here to often was helpful to me when I was a newbie asking dumb question's. The only way to learn is to ask questions.

This is a friendly community and it will stay that way. If the expert's just remember that they to was not an expert at one time and explain things clearly. Yes, they might be posting the same message 2 days later in a new thread but we try to keep this forum a friendly place and not have members bash other members.

Although some of these members end up banned for other reason's I can not discuss.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:03 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienSuccess View Post
Everyone should have the right to ask openly without concern of harassment.
I would agree with this if you amended it to say :

Everyone except spammers should have the right to ask openly without concern of harassment.

I'm still fairly new here, and was absolutely stunned to learn the numbers of seo spammers the mods have to deal with here. If they didn't catch and remove most of these, this forum would be useless - you would not be able to find good info because of all the spam in the way.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more!

Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Everyone should have the right to ask openly without concern of harassment. This is why people relay on forums for broad range of responses.

....................... >

I think you will find that moderators look at more than the question asked before taking any action.

The good members hate the SPAM as much as the moderators do and sometimes take matters in their own hands with a tart reply. I think a self professed SEO guru who asks SEO questions might be a prime candidate for a tart reply or additional investigation.

While our goal is a friendly place to visit, IMO, people who can't take a little heat should stay out of the kitchen.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs up

Quote:

Everyone except spammers should have the right to ask openly without concern of harassment.
Indeed, This is what I was intending to say.
There should be valued purpose to each and every post you make. Value for others not yourself unless you are inquiring for information.

Last edited by DamienSuccess; 05-02-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added details

Old 05-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
David - I understand your concern, and I certainly hope no innocent newbies have suffered a rude response for asking an SEO question.

But moderators and active members have seen soooo much spam done this way.

Hi Katt,

Thanks for your reply. I was'nt trying to lay anything against anyone - and I agree that spam is a problem. I started out in e-commerce, that was what brought me here at some point.

The people who answered my questions were all good to talk to and the quality of info here has always been pretty good.

Quote:
Everyone should have the right to ask openly without concern of harassment. This is why people relay on forums for broad range of responses. However, if people are claiming to be what they are not then this is something they should be questioned about.

No business starts off experts in a field, they start off as assistance in a field until they later become the experts. Before criticizing however, research should be done on the individual before accusing them of not being what they say they are.

I probably would not make a good moderator in a forum. If I see something fishy in a post I tend to approach the person directly, given them a chance to redeem themselves. But I suspect Moderators don't have the time to conduct internal investigations in to every half-backed post.

I am often impressed with how well spammers are spotted by moderators and find myself torn between the joy of watching the chase and sadness once they are caught.

Quote:

I'm still fairly new here, and was absolutely stunned to learn the numbers of seo spammers the mods have to deal with here. If they didn't catch and remove most of these, this forum would be useless - you would not be able to find good info because of all the spam in the way.

I couldn't agree more!
Too true. I would not hang around long if every second post was some badly written drivel that added nothing to the conversation but was mearly gearing up for an attempt to spam.

Last edited by snakeair; 05-02-2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: merged posts - use multi-quote feature

Old 05-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Well it sounds like we're all in agreement here - how often does that happen on a forum? LOL

Old 05-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

In regards to webmaster forums with v7n being one of the largest, this forum is the most friendly towards newer members. Won't go into naming names, but there are other webmaster forums out there that treat every new people like utter garbage.

This is why I am here and not there. Granted, I've made my mistakes and even lost my mentor status few years back because of it, but I've accepted the consequences of my mistakes and still remain a member here. This place is just awesome.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:05 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
When I joined here I was an idiot. I even broke a few rules but after awhile I got with the program and ended up a super moderator the past few year's. lol
i think somewhere i read you got infraction somewhere for that ? but forgot where ! you are absolutely right noone in this world born with P.H.D

we have to ask to build ourself and sometime even many times we feel like we are going to feel shy ? i remember the first day in school time, when i started speech front of all students in out school lobby on stage.

i was feeling very very odd, in speaking time on mic, my lips was vibrating and legs too and even broke some lines but after few days it's friendly to me. and in college time in a function (there were lots of girls ) i sing a song and many got impressed including teachers

so the thing is you have to ask, practice, add your own things and creativity to be perfect

am i right ?

Old 05-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I guess after building a reputation for its credibility for friendliness and valuable responses, even the regular users tend to step up to the plate and refer spammers to the Mods. Personally, I hate seeing spammers as much as the next person and because of this you will find me along with others do just that.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

When I first joined here I was accosted by a "seasoned" member, for better lack of a term. I stood my ground and went back and forth for a few rounds with that member, but for the most part, I knew what I was talking about and I was eventually left alone to continue posting in that thread and elsewhere without being accosted again.

Where it gets "dicey" is when someone asks a question like "why my one page isn't ranking...", which isn't really a bad question, but when the answer/reply was "post your links every where and put your keywords in forum signatures and...", OMG, it's was so wrong. Those threads, I don't even want to get involved in, and for the most part, they only generate fluff posts for count.

I'm sure some forums are tough, but some are probably more tough to participate in than others. But, once you get over the newbie "hump", you will eventually get cred, rep and, if you help out enough, respect.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Like Scriptman said, more than just the post is considered as we will do all we can to look after the members here. What you will usually find is that if a question is asked and someone jumps onto that person, as long as the person asking it is genuine, then this will show in their response back and we can see this also and 99% of the time, we would not let this happen. The other 1% maybe because we missed something/human error, not on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtrounce View Post
I am often impressed with how well spammers are spotted by moderators and find myself torn between the joy of watching the chase and sadness once they are caught.
I know exactly what you mean..

I also feel this sadness come over me when I see some poor unsuspecting spammer who has only managed about 3 spam posts and then one of those pesky moderators appears and starts removing all the guys hard effort... Damn those mods

Old 05-04-2014, 02:51 AM

Yeah the best thing we can do is teach and educate them. They simply do not know what is right or wrong 99% of the time.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinsavage123 View Post
Yeah the best thing we can do is teach and educate them. They simply do not know what is right or wrong 99% of the time.
I must refuse to accept your premise.

The rules are clearly stated here. Much better stated than most of the forums I have visited. If a member is too lazy to read and follow the rules they can get their hand held somewhere else.

The good rule abiding members deserve this level of support.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby