Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 PM

How to make a conversation in English ?

I'm Egyptian and know how to speak English but, I can't make a conversation with anyone in English it's hard.
I tried to learn from websites but, no results

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Make a conversation in Egyptian, then translate it to english ))

Old 05-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

What do you mean?

Do you want to walk up to someone who speaks English and spark up a conversation about anything?

Old 05-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Do you have access to American tv shows?

I have talked to a lot of people from Mexico who told me they learned conversational English by watching tv. You seem to have made a good start, but actually hearing real conversations should help you improve.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member

In my country the reason why many people hard to converse in English because they feel shy and always think about what other might judge. What I did years ago to overcome this was by joinning a toss master program. This might work for you as well. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:31 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt View Post

I have talked to a lot of people from Mexico who told me they learned conversational English by watching tv. You seem to have made a good start, but actually hearing real conversations should help you improve.
This would my recommendation also.

Knowing a language can be hard in itself. English has so many various accents that it is difficult to understand what people are saying. Not because you don't know, its because you cannot understand.

English T.V may help. Consider speaking out loud by responding to the T.V. If a word is unfamiliar. Say it..
Reading will only program the meaning, not the characteristics of sounds. This is a recording our brains need to develop while learning a language.

Chinese for example: To me it sounds like Individual syllables that are joined together in a way that "Sounds" like one big long word or sentence. When really it could have been 20 separate words

Old 05-20-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcosmo View Post
Make a conversation in Egyptian, then translate it to english ))
Lol no, I'm good in translating from Arabic to English. I mean how to talk to someone face-to-face? It's hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
What do you mean?

Do you want to walk up to someone who speaks English and spark up a conversation about anything?
yes, that's what i want. it's hard to listen to someone, and answering him in the same time it takes me a moment to make a phrase with no mistakes.

Quote:

I'm listening to songs in English and singing in English, & watching movies without translation but, to make a real conversation with anyone face-to-face it's hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipinos View Post
In my country the reason why many people hard to converse in English because they feel shy and always think about what other might judge. What I did years ago to overcome this was by joinning a toss master program. This might work for you as well. Good luck.
yes, feeling shy is the main reason. I don't know how to avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienSuccess View Post
This would my recommendation also.

Knowing a language can be hard in itself. English has so many various accents that it is difficult to understand what people are saying. Not because you don't know, its because you cannot understand.

English T.V may help. Consider speaking out loud by responding to the T.V. If a word is unfamiliar. Say it..
Reading will only program the meaning, not the characteristics of sounds. This is a recording our brains need to develop while learning a language.

Chinese for example: To me it sounds like Individual syllables that are joined together in a way that "Sounds" like one big long word or sentence. When really it could have been 20 separate words
yes, that's right. but it's different to talk to someone in reality in English.
and i think that if you want to learn Chinese you have to go to China, it's a complicated language.
finally, do you think that i have to take conversation courses or making friends to talk with them?

Last edited by snakeair; 05-20-2014 at 06:07 AM. Reason: merged posts - use multi-quote feature

Old 05-20-2014, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

If I were going to learn a new language I would learn the basics and then use the immersion method to improve. You have to live the language to really learn it.

Very few people speak English in conversations. The written words are far different from the verbal. You have to be around people who speak English in order to learn to do it well.

I think people need to get over the fear of what people think about their language skills. No matter how poorly you may speak English, I am positive you do a far better job that I could do in Egyptian. Keep that though in the back of your mind because it applies to the vast majority of native English speakers; very few can speak another language.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
If I were going to learn a new language I would learn the basics and then use the immersion method to improve. You have to live the language to really learn it.

Very few people speak English in conversations. The written words are far different from the verbal. You have to be around people who speak English in order to learn to do it well.

I think people need to get over the fear of what people think about their language skills. No matter how poorly you may speak English, I am positive you do a far better job that I could do in Egyptian. Keep that though in the back of your mind because it applies to the vast majority of native English speakers; very few can speak another language.
This is awesome thank you, Here in Egypt there is no room to practice different languages with others. About 40% of people in Egypt illiterates, 50% just can read and write, and only the 10% of Egyptians have second languages like English, Spanish & french ... etc. put in mind that in Egypt 95 million people.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

You are communicating well here. Just keep in mind that forum posts are not always proper English or conversation, they are a hybrid as determined by the poster.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismael.Alsoghiar View Post
This is awesome thank you, Here in Egypt there is no room to practice different languages with others. About 40% of people in Egypt illiterates, 50% just can read and write, and only the 10% of Egyptians have second languages like English, Spanish & french ... etc. put in mind that in Egypt 95 million people.
Well. Given those percentages, you have done very well for yourself. With your continued devotion you will eventually catch on to words as they are spoken. I believe you are right to say that the best way is to become acquainted with someone who is willing to work conversation with you.

Great Job So Far!!!

Old 05-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Ismael,

Just want to add, ff you feel shy, how about doing the same thing like Brazilian student in the video below?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD4xeT41o9c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD4xeT41o9c[/ame]

Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

The weather can be a good opening topic. In Canada the weather is a popular topic of conversation with just about everyone you meet. Our summers are short and winters can be long and harsh, so the weather can be an ice-breaker (no pun intended).

Old 05-21-2014, 12:43 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Learn the basics first of all. Watch english movies try to understand what they are saying it will help to improve your english moreover read newspaper. Try to speak alone whether wrong or right....

Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienSuccess View Post
Well. Given those percentages, you have done very well for yourself. With your continued devotion you will eventually catch on to words as they are spoken. I believe you are right to say that the best way is to become acquainted with someone who is willing to work conversation with you.

Great Job So Far!!!
Thank you Damien.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I know some international friends who have said that while they do learn from the American entertainments, they've also learned by connecting with someone who speaks English. They usually Skype or email.

Hosted by: Myhosting.com

Old 06-21-2014, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Hi there i am an Arabic native too, i suggest that you watch more english speaking TV and movies, and how to start a conversation it is easy: it is just how you start a conversation in Arabic, don't be shy and start speaking because you will learn quicker this way!!!

Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 AM

Hi, you can also try some language exchange / practice sites, like italki.com or howdoyou.do - they let you find other people to practice your language with, and from my experience it's quite a good way to overcome the shyness of speaking a foreign language

Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Individualist

Quote:

My wife learned English basically by watching the TV show Friends. That show is great for learning English and I used to recommend it to my English students.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

That will be a rough question for me because I don't usually talk to English with someone. :-/

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby