Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-17-2016, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Should Google Pay Tax in Every Country That They Exist?

Recently Our Finance Minister blame Google, Twitter, Facebook for not paying tax. Our Tax Agency already send letter to Google, but Google refuse to pay. Our Goverment haven't decide what to response but the worst case. They will block Google (I don't know if that is possible).
I know some country like China have they local search engine, but not in our country..
What you guys think about this? I think Google already pay tax in US right? but is that the right think to do?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

the fact that Google does not pay taxes in my country. Because they do not establish the company, so it is difficult to ask them to pay taxes. The only way for the Government to build the rules for international companies such as Google.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:19 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc81 View Post
Recently Our Finance Minister blame Google, Twitter, Facebook for not paying tax. Our Tax Agency already send letter to Google, but Google refuse to pay. Our Goverment haven't decide what to response but the worst case. They will block Google (I don't know if that is possible).
I know some country like China have they local search engine, but not in our country..
What you guys think about this? I think Google already pay tax in US right? but is that the right think to do?
First of all, they have a physical location in Indonesia:
https://www.seroundtable.com/photos/...sia-17781.html
Are you sure they don't pay any types of taxes?
Or have they managed to find enough loopholes to pay a lot less than Indonesian companies would?

If they don't pay enough, that would indicate to me that the tax laws need to be updated. If anything, it will be a good thing for Google teaching each country the hard way where the holes in the laws are and from what I hear their lawyers are well-paid to do all of that research.

Blaming is not good. Finance Minister should reach out to Google, Facebook and Twitter and propose some amendments to the tax laws. And if it gets enough publicity, I am sure all 3 will step to the table and make it so they don't wind up getting too much of a reputation of being exploitative.

But my suspicion is also that local companies may benefit from the same loopholes the internet giants are using. And who knows, if they are closely linked to the finance minister and it may come out that Indonesian companies are also dodging their responsibilities, that would explain why the finance minister is not digging too deep and rather just goes on television to blame as the possibility of him having affiliation with local corruption would expose parts of his office for something that could ruin his own reputation.

Never trust politicians pointing the finger towards outsiders.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:43 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

yes Google must Pay Tax in Every Country That They Exist?

Old 09-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitetutor View Post
First of all, they have a physical location in Indonesia:
https://www.seroundtable.com/photos/...sia-17781.html
Are you sure they don't pay any types of taxes?
Or have they managed to find enough loopholes to pay a lot less than Indonesian companies would?

If they don't pay enough, that would indicate to me that the tax laws need to be updated. If anything, it will be a good thing for Google teaching each country the hard way where the holes in the laws are and from what I hear their lawyers are well-paid to do all of that research.

Blaming is not good. Finance Minister should reach out to Google, Facebook and Twitter and propose some amendments to the tax laws. And if it gets enough publicity, I am sure all 3 will step to the table and make it so they don't wind up getting too much of a reputation of being exploitative.

But my suspicion is also that local companies may benefit from the same loopholes the internet giants are using. And who knows, if they are closely linked to the finance minister and it may come out that Indonesian companies are also dodging their responsibilities, that would explain why the finance minister is not digging too deep and rather just goes on television to blame as the possibility of him having affiliation with local corruption would expose parts of his office for something that could ruin his own reputation.

Never trust politicians pointing the finger towards outsiders.
Yes, I also heard that they have office in Indonesia. I don't know what tax that they paid, because it's still confidential. However, if I'm not mistaken all transaction for all Indonesia's company if they want to buy ads is going through Singapore office and Indonesia's Government got nothing from this. This why the finance minister is upset. Well, at the end of the story from I read is Google didn't give access for Indonesia IRS to check the Singapore's Google's office. And if there is no solution most probably they will fight in court.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:10 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Yes, I also heard that they have office in Indonesia. I don't know what tax that they paid, because it's still confidential. However, if I'm not mistaken all transaction for all Indonesia's company if they want to buy ads is going through Singapore office and Indonesia's Government got nothing from this. This why the finance minister is upset. Well, at the end of the story from I read is Google didn't give access for Indonesia IRS to check the Singapore's Google's office. And if there is no solution most probably they will fight in court.
Oh wow, that is complicated. I know of a couple of examples a little bit similar. First of, I have lived in Indonesia before. There are some Israeli companies for example in Indonesia who do business out of Singapore out of "fear of conflict". I didn't know that this also might be a situation somewhat applying to Google. But it appears there is a setup that has to do with more than just straight business and possibly the undertone going into areas of religion and projected "safety"?

Old 09-25-2016, 01:58 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

about the israeli company. I think it's because Indonesia didn't politically accept the existance of israel as a country. But, I'm thinking the way of google see Indonesia have not sufficient source to build a datacenter or whatever it is

Old 09-27-2016, 07:29 PM

If Google is making money from business in the other country's, which they are, then there should be some sort of tax to pay. After all, they are making money from the country's citizens.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Hi there! Personally, I think they should pay taxes to every country they are being accessed into. After all, they are making money from all the traffic and activities being done in these countries... But then again, issues like this involves a great deal of politics. So I guess I'll have to leave it to the experts as they know more about this than me...

Old 10-20-2016, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

These huge corporations just have so much power that their words seem to be the end of discussion every time which is unfair since it leaves the smaller businesses struggling to put food on the table and having zero power whilst these companies just constantly grow and grow.

I still have a lot of love for Facebook and Google, though.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Of course, they should.What's the difference between google and other company..? There is not any diference so they must pay tax in every country they exist.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Just like any other company, if they make money from the locals via ads etc. They should pay up taxes again just like any other corporation. The recent antitrust case in EU though seems a tad harsh in my opinion

Old 11-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

I believe Google do have separate entity in every country that they exist. So if it is in India, then that would be Google India and so on in any other countries.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:11 AM

I think that they need to pay some tax in each country they are doing business, the question what tax exactly and how much.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:48 AM

each and every country need to pay tax

Old 11-26-2016, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashavpower View Post
each and every country need to pay tax
That's its?

Did you read all the replies first?

Old 01-06-2017, 05:55 PM

since they are making money, they should pay tax

Old 01-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

they are starting to tax Google here in Russia, smart move

Old 02-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

If Google starts paying tax in all countries, ad rates will go up for everyone. Corporate tax rates average at 30% around the world (Here are some stats https://taxfoundation.org/corporate-...nd-world-2014/). Do we really want to pay 30% more for Adwords?

Old 03-04-2017, 02:00 AM

Here are Google’s income statements for the last four years. The difference between income before tax and after tax is the income tax expense incurred.
If my math is right, during the last four years they paid/incurred $12.6 billion in taxes. That’s more than every single penny Netflix has earned in revenue during the past two years.

I cannot comment if they have any special tax arrangements they’ve negotiated with any countries or tax jurisdictions.

I’m not an international tax expert, but do know that in the US, some states will offer companies tax breaks for a limited period of time to come set up shop in their state. The logic is that they bring with them new jobs, which is good for their economy. The same may be happening abroad.

I can comment that you cannot compare globally run companies with one another. Each company has its own unique tax structure, based on where they do business. If we compared Google to another global company that did business in countries where Google did not have an international (tax) presence, then, yes, of course they would have unequal tax, comparatively speaking.

As for the what effects of the rate of tax they pay has on the competition, I don’t think any correlation exists.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Closed Thread