Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 10-13-2018, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Ak! Cloudy and very cool today in "Heartland". Well, at least we don't have any snow, YET - like they've had out west! YIKES!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2018, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

According to a family member there was some sleet in Indiana Friday evening.

Seems to be starting a bit early for the mid lands. The Rockies and NW also get some by now.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Lovely sunny day here yesterday and supposed to be the same today.

Got your Halloween costume picked out?

Old 10-14-2018, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post

Got your Halloween costume picked out?
I usually just go as myself.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I usually just go as myself.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

I'm too lazy to look back - in case it's not been mentioned, the "email subscription function" doesn't work also.

I gotta ask, because it's been months. Is there any update to the forum function issues that have been posted here since way back?

Old 10-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

None that we know of. Things seem to be taking a bit longer than expected.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

And now for something completely different.

Maybe this should be in a different forum, but since some Mods and Admins are subscribed to this thread, and not much is happening elsewhere around this site, I thought I'd just post it here.

I've got a question to all the forum "techies". If a new member spams a forum with posts, and when moderating, by deleting those posts from a thread, or banning a member and removing said member's posts, are those links still accounted for in the internet's link-matrix?

I'm a Mod on another forum. We're getting a lot of drive-by link spammers. I ban said spammers, but in reality, even once banned, and said posts are deleted, as a Moderator, I can still call up and view those deleted posts.

That being said, the links are still there and I wonder if they are still accounted for in the grand scheme of things when said forum pages gets crawled and indexed by SEs?

I've not gotten a strait answer on this yet, and it still nags at me because if said links are still viable in the grand scheme of things, it explains why the drive by's would continue to spam using different IPs to post more spam, which will be deleted, and so on, and so on.

Thoughts?

Old 10-17-2018, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

I surely do not have a definitive answer but would assume that if the posts are not reachable by the spiders, and I doubt they are, then those links would be worthless and the same a as a link deleted from a live page.

As for why they do it; a small % of them stick because of lazy mods or inactive boards. They are playing the same game the robo callers are playing. Who I have managed to finally whip but that is a story for another day.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I surely do not have a definitive answer but would assume that if the posts are not reachable by the spiders, and I doubt they are, then those links would be worthless and the same a as a link deleted from a live page.
I get that. As long as a deleted post is not crawlable, sure, they are worthless. I've just not gotten that confirmation as yet.

Quote:
As for why they do it; a small % of them stick because of lazy mods or inactive boards.
Yep, I get that.

Quote:
They are playing the same game the robo callers are playing. Who I have managed to finally whip but that is a story for another day.
Hmmm. Would like to hear about "whipping" the robo-callers. Since "Boris the Mover" has stopped calling, the "duct-cleaners" call centers from the other side of the planet won't stop calling no matter what you do - hang up, yell at them, or even politely say "take me off the list". It doesn't matter they still call back.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post

Hmmm. Would like to hear about "whipping" the robo-callers. Since "Boris the Mover" has stopped calling, the "duct-cleaners" call centers from the other side of the planet won't stop calling no matter what you do - hang up, yell at them, or even politely say "take me off the list". It doesn't matter they still call back.
First I dumped Winstream, the landline carrier and switched to the cable company for half the price. The cable company offers a norobo call service free of charge that maintains a list of about 5000 robo callers. Those calls never make it through. One ring and they are done. They also offer a service that blocks any number where the caller id is blocked or faked. Those folks get a polite message saying we do not accept calls with blocked IDs.

At the same time I bought a new phone system, Panasonic that allows call blocking at the local level. When a call does get through, I simply click the block call button and than confirm the action. They are disconnected and than can't get through again. I think that has 250 # limit.

I could also set this one to refuse calls from anyone not in our contact list but can't use that because of the wife's work.

The new phone is BT enabled and would work with up to 2 cell phones and or without a landline.

If you don't want to buy a new phone there are call blocking boxes at Amazon which do all of the above for less than $100 and work with any landline.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

I will look at the other options in the near future as I'm just about at the end of the special pricing term with my biz line in June and will be dropping it then.

In March, I'm going to be looking for a better cell plan that includes a newer phone. I dropped mine, cracked screen and its' doing some weird stuff.

I'm currently also using an Ooma basic phone hardware and plan. I was going to use it solo, but my biz plan pricing "pay off" negated that plan. I think the Ooma costs me $4.95 a month (which goes to some regulatory body and not Ooma). I get cross Canada calling, a bit of space for voice mail and a couple other things I can't remember. I just basically use it for long-distance calls.

I think Ooma has a better feature plan at $10 per month including free Canada/US calling and has a few other add-ons.

I still get about 5 or 6 calls a month on the Ooma line asking for someone who previously must have been using the number I've been assigned. That's a bit of a piss off.

Until I'm assured there's going to be some sort of valid 911 calling/location identification with VOIP services, I'm still hesitant to drop the basic Bell landline.

Last edited by LMD; 10-17-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Until I'm assured there's going to be some sort of valid 911 calling/location identification with VOIP services, I'm still hesitant to drop the basic Bell landline.
That's not an issue here with the Cable company plan. It takes about 3 days to get set up and I expressly had to sign off on not moving the equipment to a different location.

The only unresolved issue I have is a battery backup for the VoIP modem. We both have cells so I am not laying awake worrying about it.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

The guy that invented the USB cable died this past week.

When they tried to lower the casket into the ground

they had pull it back and turn it over.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

50% chance of getting it right but actually get it right around 20% of the time. Go figure.
Wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't part of my work.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I've got a question to all the forum "techies". If a new member spams a forum with posts, and when moderating, by deleting those posts from a thread, or banning a member and removing said member's posts, are those links still accounted for in the internet's link-matrix?

I'm a Mod on another forum. We're getting a lot of drive-by link spammers. I ban said spammers, but in reality, even once banned, and said posts are deleted, as a Moderator, I can still call up and view those deleted posts.

That being said, the links are still there and I wonder if they are still accounted for in the grand scheme of things when said forum pages gets crawled and indexed by SEs?
As long as where ever the Mods can see them is not accessible by the SE bots then no. Test it yourself. Copy url for where you as a mod can see it. Log out of use a different browser and try and access the url.
Quote:
That is one of the reasons I still have a landline AND a phone that does not require electrical power. A lot of good VOIP does you if you have no power for your modem...
Quote:

LOL
Look before plugging.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Copy url for where you as a mod can see it. Log out of use a different browser and try and access the url.
I assume you are inferring if a post has been deleted, and it can't be viewed by regular members (rightly so), then it would go that the SE bots would be treated the same way? That they probably can't access and crawl those deleted posts.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

I'm ready for it to warm back up now. Some really strong cold winds blew in from the North last night.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

We're below the normal temps this month by about 5 or 6 degrees C. Doesn't sound like much but it is pretty chilly.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

We went from August to Nov in about 3 days. Just my luck to have sown grass seed two days before that. It is up but I need a few warm days.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby