Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 11-17-2018, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post

I don't remember my Granny saying anything like that.
Mine was a rather unique character.

Heat wave today all the way up to 52F. If the sun comes out to play I may try to mow the back yard leaves.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2018, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like our snow is going to stick, and I just noticed a couple of things I forgot to put away in the yard. This year I used a big tarp to wrap everything up, instead of using individual smaller tarps for tables, chairs, bbq, deck box etc. I did a lousy job wrapping this year. Live and learn.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Take a picture for HTML; I don't think her part of the world gets its fair share.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I don't think her part of the world gets its fair share.
Regardless of what I think (and what I can say for sure is, we get way too much, IMO), I'm sure HTML would not agree with you.

It's a beautiful area out that way, even though our real estate has boomed, it's not the same as where HTML is. I'd have to down-size a bit to afford their real estate. And, depending on where you are (and, again, HTML can correct me if I'm wrong) may determine how much precip you'd get. I'm going out to Lake Louise next summer with some relatives, which live out that way.

Last edited by LMD; 11-17-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Regardless of what I think (and what I can say for sure is, we get way too much, IMO), I'm sure HTML would not agree with you.

Unless you are willing to adopt me, please tell me that is not the view from your back yard or deck.

I can live with it being close by but in your your backyard is over the top.

I suspect I would also have to downsize to afford her city.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I can live with it being close by but in your your backyard is over the top.
I suspect I would also have to downsize to afford her city.
I wish I lived there. This is Lake Louise, where I'm headed next summer for a few days while visiting relatives out that way.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I wish I lived there. This is Lake Louise, where I'm headed next summer for a few days while visiting relatives out that way.
Ok.

I managed to get 2/3 of the backyard leaves mowed before I was worn out and finishing the rest today is doable. The jet stream must have shifted overnight as today's forecast is now vastly warmer and nicer than yesterteday's prediction for today. Kentucky weather!

I gotta make the time to fix the rider, this push mower is killing me; especially when cutting it shorter than normal to mulch up the leaves.

My son is out trying to kill Bambi this weekend. I hope he doesn't bring any of it home for me to cook for him.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I gotta make the time to fix the rider, this push mower is killing me; especially when cutting it shorter than normal to mulch up the leaves.
A neighbor pays for just about every possible services that's part of home-ownership, except maybe, making lunches. Grass cutting, fertilizing, snow removal, house cleaning, fall cleanup, putting the water hose away, wrapping up furniture, putting up kids apparatus (swing/fort set) in the back yard etc.

If that paycheque ever dries up, he'll know absolutely nothing about how to manage home maintenance.

Quote:
My son is out trying to kill Bambi this weekend. I hope he doesn't bring any of it home for me to cook for him.
We have rabbits that like to eat the back side of my cedars in the winter (they need to be wrapped - the cedars, not the rabbits ), racoons that like to defecate in the odd window well (need lots of "critter ridder" there), voles that like to tunnel under the snow in my lawn over the winter (not much I can do about them), and the odd coyote that runs by the berm at the back of the yard that edges onto a forest (the developers/builders have encroached on their territory with the housing, so it's not the coyotes fault they're close to the houses).

None of those critters are edible.

Last edited by LMD; 11-18-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
A neighbor pays for just about every possible services that's part of home-ownership, except maybe, making lunches. Grass cutting, fertilizing, snow removal, house cleaning, fall cleanup, putting the water hose away, wrapping up furniture, putting up kids apparatus (swing/fort set) in the back yard etc.

If that paycheque ever dries up, he'll know absolutely nothing about how to manage home maintenance.
I have a lot of them like that. It sure is hard to compete with a crew of workers.

Yesterday while mowing the leaves one of the neighbors had a lawn service doing theirs. The guy was there for almost 4 hours. I suspect he made about 40-50 $ as the employee, but I wonder what that cost the homeowner?

Old 11-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Truth be told, when I was recovering from a surgery, I couldn't cut the grass for a couple of months. The guys that do the winter snow removal are warm season mtc landscapers so I asked them if they could cut my grass for a couple of months. They were already on the street doing other houses, so one more wasn't an issue.

I didn't like the end result of the cutting. I can't say what they were doing wrong, but I (without tooting any horns) do a way better job of cutting and trimming. No lie.

Quote:
but I wonder what that cost the homeowner?
It depends on the actual business dispatching the workers.

I had a quote for some misc. inside work that coincided with a larger reno project. Of 3 estimates for that "misc" work, one was, IMO, really high and we settled on the estimate that was less than "half" of the highest bid. Now, it's clear you shouldn't necessarily go with the highest bidder, nor the lowest, but it does really depend on the company and it's contingent of workers and what the workers command as suitable salary.

The lowest bidder was referred to me by the company doing the bigger reno project, so it's their reputation on the line.

More on that, I'm sure you are aware that a lot of large IT companies outsource at least part of their development business to "off-shore" sources at a significant reduction in cost, for similar or better end results.

It really depends on the company, the skill of their workers and what kind of remuneration (and they way they are getting paid ) that the contingent of the companies workers are happy with.

Last edited by LMD; 11-18-2018 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add

Old 11-18-2018, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I had a quote for some misc. inside work that coincided with a larger reno project. Of 3 estimates for that "misc" work, one was, IMO, really high and we settled on the estimate that was less than "half" of the highest bid. Now, it's clear you shouldn't necessarily go with the highest bidder, nor the lowest, but it does really depend on the company and it's contingent of workers and what the workers command as suitable salary.
I never take the high bid and rarely do I take the lowest.

We got 5 estimates for redoing our driveway this summer. They ranged from 9800 to 25000. Now I admit it was a lot of concrete to tear out, remove (22 yards) and replace but I sure would like some of whatever the 25K guy was smoking.

The guy we selected based on attitude and some work done down the street was a real pro and his crew was some of the best mannered construction workers I've ever observed on a job site.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Take a picture for HTML; I don't think her part of the world gets its fair share.
We probably don't compared to you guys on the East coast but the interior of our province gets it's fair share.

Heard of Highway of Hell?

Old 11-18-2018, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
We probably don't compared to you guys on the East coast but the interior of our province gets it's fair share.

Heard of Highway of Hell?
I have. And, I was referring to your specific city. As I understand it you experience above average good weather for the area of the world. Something about the coastal winds?????

Old 11-18-2018, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
but I sure would like some of whatever the 25K guy was smoking.
The guy with the highest price bid was going overboard talking about minute little things that wouldn't really impact my decision, and the end result. It all began to sound like he was trying to justify the higher cost. I paid a much lower cost, had few issues and the work was good. Mind you I was around all the time asking questions and pointing little things out, so maybe they tried a little harder, I don't know for sure.

In another instance, I gave a local "handy guy" the Ok to build a large stone patio. He seemed knowledgeable enough, said all the right things and had done stone patio work before. I saw some "after" pictures.

The price was still about $4000 less than the closest estimate, from those who's specialty was hardscapes. Long story short - several years later I've had to pay a real landscape company $3000 to fix some shoddy work the "handy guy" did, because he wouldn't return to fix some issues.

In some cases, you get a gem at a lower price. Other times, you get a lower price with the savings deferred for a bit, but ultimately goes out the window at a later date to fix the shoddy work.

Live and learn.

Last edited by LMD; 11-18-2018 at 09:38 PM. Reason: add

Old 11-19-2018, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Live and learn.
At this point in my life there aren't too many things home related that I do not have a basic understanding about. But if I needed to hire someone and did not I would first educate myself on the proper way to do something before I hired it done. Keep in mind there are sometimes multiple paths to the same result.

First time contractors always get watched to make sure they are in fact doing what they talked. It is almost as time consuming to supervise as it is to do the work.

When I was doing drapery installations I was amazed at the number of people who weren't even home while I did the work. From me they got the same quality as those who watched but I suspect that is not true of all subs.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
From me they got the same quality as those who watched but I suspect that is not true of all subs.
Especially "handy men" who probably fudged their portfolio of stone patio projects.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I have. And, I was referring to your specific city. As I understand it you experience above average good weather for the area of the world. Something about the coastal winds?????
We get a lot of rain because the winds bring in the weather and it has to get rid of the water to get over the mountains. We are in a rain forest.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
We are in a rain forest.
We are in a cold forest.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

One of my young'uns really wants some Xmas stuff from a UK site. I've had the CP strike discussion with him, but it doesn't matter. So, with the CP rotating strike and maybe 20% of the mail getting thru at this point, I said I hope he doesn't mind getting his presents by spring.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
One of my young'uns really wants some Xmas stuff from a UK site. I've had the CP strike discussion with him, but it doesn't matter. So, with the CP rotating strike and maybe 20% of the mail getting thru at this point, I said I hope he doesn't mind getting his presents by spring.
He made an informed choice. I say go for it and wrap a picture of the item as a backup gift just in case.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby