Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 01-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

I would never hit that. We rarely get 8 snowfalls per winter that require shoveling.

Honestly, if you are anywhere close to my age (6, which I think your are; pay to have it done or leave it where it falls.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Close.

We normally get about 8-10 meaningful snowfalls per winter with 3 or 4 "big dumps", so I started paying for snow removal last year. I wanted to get a snow blower, but there's no room in the garage for the damn thing with two cars parked in there. The double garages they build now barely fit two cars.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure how my 68 turned in a smilie. Okay 8 ) = Learned something new today.

I hear ya about garages. When we built this I wanted larger but +2' in each direction was all I could do without buying some pricey steel beams.

The garage has all the toys it is going to hold and a storage shed is not an option because of the HO'S.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

2 extra feet wider, would make a pretty good difference in my case.

What I find really disturbing, is that the large builders (like Mattamy) at least in the last 10 years, build some homes with single-car garages that are so small, that if you can get your mid-sized sedan actually in the garage, well, good luck trying to open the door wide enough to get out of the car.

The result? People park in their driveways, and on the boulevard (between the sidewalk and the road). About this type of parking - as long as the front wheels are not touching the sidewalk (even though the nose protrudes well over the sidewalk) and as long as the back wheels are not touching the road (even though the trunk or back part of the car protrudes 2-3 feet out into the road), it's considered legal parking.

The result? when walking on the sidewalk one has to weave around the cars. While driving around the side streets, one has to weave a bit around these protruding cars. There's more, but it just doesn't make any sense.

Rant over.

Last edited by LMD; 01-28-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: add

Old 01-28-2019, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Rant shared. Around here it it is Ball Homes that packs them in like sardines.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Around here I think the builder's brochures for the homes now have scratched out out the word "garage" and replaced it with the words "extra storage!". Some owners have actually dressed up the garage as living space - drywall mud and sanded real nice, upscale paint, lights, sprayed floors, and some actually have pictures on the wall with tables and couches/chairs. I kid you not.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Oh. My favorite rant.

We have a lot of homes around here where they have a couple of thousand dollars worth of junk in the garage and their 50-60K autos parked out in the elements. There are 2 year old wheels that have more overnights out than my 23.5 year old does.

Yes, almost 24 and still going. If they still made that size I might buy new. They don't so I won't.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
There are 2 year old wheels that have more overnights out than my 23.5 year old does.
Tell me it has a V8. Please! You know what, the kids born today will likely never drive a car with a V8 engine unless they grow up with extra cash to buy a collector-type car with a rumbly V8.

I've been reading that GM's new Silverados are being fitted with 4 cylinder turbos. I have my reservations if they try to haul or tow anything with even entry-level weight.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Nope. Just a little 4 banger. Many seem to think 1996 was the last year Nissan made a great small truck engine. I sure know that so far it is great. Other than a valve cover gasket and a new air flow handler (electronic carb) I've spent nothing on the engine.

I had to splurge for a new clutch at 206K.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

I've got the 3.5 in my Maxima I picked up last summer. I haven't tried it, but apparently they go like stink when floored. I've gone half way there and that was plenty enough for me. Just watched some videos and it's a pretty impressive engine. IMO.

I got something like 6.5 liters per 100 km on a trip up north last summer which I think translates to about 36 MPG. If course I don't get that good mileage very often. Although any average travel around here includes secondary highways to get to other towns, so I'm not really sure what my real average mileage actually is. It's checkable somewhere in the dash statistics module.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

I'm 2.4L and geared lower but still get about 22 mpg (3.78541L) around town. I can get close to 30 on the highway if I keep the rpm under 3K or approx 60 mph which I rarely do.

If I had a big boat or trailer I might want the v6-8, but for I did and do the 4 is good.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
if I keep the rpm under 3K or approx 60 mph which I rarely do.
None of us do. I'll have to take notice next time, but I'm pretty sure mine cruses at around 2.2-2.5k at 60MPH. I think it's the eco-factors built into the engine that keep it that low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris61 View Post
If I had a big boat or trailer I might want the v6-8, but for I did and do the 4 is good.
Roger that.

My BIL has a van which drops to 4 cylinders from 6 if driving on a flat highway. A little push on the gas and it activates all cylinders.

Last edited by LMD; 01-29-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Never heard of the engine above.

Now here is a mystery. Where did Chris61 and the links to the posts within the quotes come from? That is a recent addition to the forum

Old 01-30-2019, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Now here is a mystery. Where did Chris61 and the links to the posts within the quotes come from? That is a recent addition to the forum

Ghost in the machine??

Old 01-30-2019, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

This door unlocks the key to imagination.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

I also have an 09 Altima SL since new. The 2.5 is a pretty big 4 cylinder workhorse engine, but it's had a "tap" or a "tick" sound when driven cold until it warms up - even from new.

From the beginning, I had multiple conversations with the dealership I bought it from, and the dealership that has serviced it since new.

Both say those 2.5's had that noise and later on was told they redesigned some part that engine in 2013 to make it quieter when cold.

When I searched online, it was one complaint of that model car that made the rounds on the Internet.

So, you can imagine, with the temps at -29C overnight, the noise it produced when I moved this morning it to let my wife's car out of the garage. It was a symphony of tappet noise.

Add: I've never driven it hard (don't know about how my son drives it now though) and I get regular oil changes for it and am using Synthetic oils.

Last edited by LMD; 01-30-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: add

Old 01-30-2019, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Can't help you with the noise. The first DIY thing I quit as soon as I wasn't really poor was working on autos. My knuckles are much happier now.

-29c is pretty darned cold. With any wind at at all that could be deadly. For us, tonight is scheduled to be colder than last night.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

The weather guy is having a blast with the wind-chill numbers. I think with the wind-chill it'll be around -38C. I think that equates to around -36F.

When it gets that cold, the Celsius and Fahrenheit numbers get awful close.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
The weather guy is having a blast with the wind-chill numbers. I think with the wind-chill it'll be around -38C. I think that equates to around -36F.

When it gets that cold, the Celsius and Fahrenheit numbers get awful close.
I noticed that when I converted your 29c number. Last night on the news I discovered it was almost that cold just 90 miles north of here.

Then this morning I learned about 'frost quakes'; https://6abc.com/weather/what-is-an-ice-quake/5113172/ worth the 90 seconds or so if you are not familiar with the term.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Then this morning I learned about 'frost quakes'; https://6abc.com/weather/what-is-an-ice-quake/5113172/ worth the 90 seconds or so if you are not familiar with the term.
It's really got to be frosty to get them. I think we're close, but none so far.

Sad to say, but yes, we've experienced them here before. It's weird. It's a ground-level noise (like a very loud bang or boom as the video notes) and it then resonates in the rafters of the house. At least, that's what I recall. Brrrrrrrrr. Got errands to run today and just wanna be by the fire. I don't recall needing the heat as much when I was younger. Hence, the 7 weeks in AZ next year to miss all this frosty "fun".

Last edited by LMD; 01-31-2019 at 07:42 AM. Reason: add

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby