Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 01-31-2019, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

I'm probably going to venture out later for some rye bread that I need for the Reubens. I thought I had some, and did but the package said best by 11-18-18. While I saw no visible mold, smelled nothing off about it and it still felt fresh, I just can't force myself to eat 2 month old bread.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I just can't force myself to eat 2 month old bread.
Ya, good choice. Makes you wonder what they put in the loaf so that it doesn't go moldy after two month?

I love to include a good fresh French loaf for din sometimes. It's not a healthy choice, but it sure tastes good. Makes great morning toast too!

Old 01-31-2019, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Online resources say a week or two at the most.

And I do wonder what they mix in.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

I recall a nutritionist's presentation at a business meeting showing us a McDonalds hamburger, in a sealed container (probably not air-tight) and the burger looked like it was made yesterday. The problem was, it had been in the container for over 6 months.

Makes ya kinda go hmmmmmm...

Old 02-01-2019, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

We are going to have call the first few days of Feb as 0-60 as that is the projected high for Sunday. I may break out the shorts.

I would rather not know about the burger I still break down and buy one when nothing better is closer.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

We warm up this weekend and into next week - certainly not 60F, but somewhere in the low to mid 40's.

A new burger/steak alternative is Chuck's Roadhouse. Their bacon and chedar Burger with fries is $10 CAD. A 10oz sirloin steak(with veg and side) is $13. It's way better than any McDonalds, Wendy's etc, and is an alternative to The Keg Steakhouse, which has great steaks, but the Keg is overpriced for what you get, IMO.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

A really good $10 burger is hard to find. We have a couple of small chains that do them well. Isn't USD and CAD close to parity right now?

Now you got me wanting a nice burger and I don't have any first class ground meat.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
A really good $10 burger is hard to find. We have a couple of small chains that do them well. Isn't USD and CAD close to parity right now?

Now you got me wanting a nice burger and I don't have any first class ground meat.
It's a pretty good burger - very juicy. Don't have to break the bank to go out for a good burger or steak at this place.

I think the conversion is about $7 USD. I've still got some USD on hand. May keep it for next year's trip.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

I thought we were close than that. 7.63 is correct.

Are British Pounds usable in Canada? I still have a few of those. If not I may take them to the bank.

As the weather warmed over-nite we acquired some dense fog. Weird weather.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I thought we were close than that. 7.63 is correct.
What's odd about some purchases, is that there are a lot of things for sale in the US, that with conversions, are usually a good buy. Some items, for some reason, are not. You kind of have to do the conversion in your head before heading to the cash.

I was honestly looking into the cars down in AZ as most 3-4 year old cars (and beyond too) are in great shape. I was thinking instead of renting one for my time down there, I'd buy one, drive it home and sell it here. I'd really need to know who's buying them up here, what makes and models are being bought, and then the cross-border logistics in terms of the costs to cross the boarder with US vehicles and the paper work, the conversions to Canadian auto standards etc. I haven't ruled it out, but for now, I have more research to do.

On the lighter side, I bought 3 pull-over sweater-type tops which were $45 USD. With the conversion to CAD, it was around $60 each. Not much savings in that purchase but I needed them with the cooler temps in AZ that week. I did get a few good buys including a couple of short-sleeve golf tops for $19 USD ($25 CAD).

Quote:
Are British Pounds usable in Canada?
I would say no. Taking them to the bank would probably be the best suggestion - unless you are going to the UK any time soon.

Quote:
As the weather warmed over-nite we acquired some dense fog. Weird weather.
Our warming trend starts today as the temps are going above freezing and daytime highs are going to stay that way for a few days. Will have to enjoy it while it lasts. Normal winter temps are on their way for mid week.

Last edited by LMD; 02-02-2019 at 07:14 AM. Reason: add

Old 02-02-2019, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post

I was honestly looking into the cars down in AZ as most 3-4 year old cars (and beyond too) are in great shape. I was thinking instead of renting one for my time down there, I'd buy one, drive it home and sell it here. I'd really need to know who's buying them up here, what makes and models are being bought, and then the cross-border logistics in terms of the costs to cross the boarder with US vehicles and the paper work, the conversions to Canadian auto standards etc. I haven't ruled it out, but for now, I have more research to do.

Won't they hit you with a VAT on the auto?

Even here in the states when you move a title from one state to another the leeches stick their hand out. At least, the last time I checked, KY only collected the difference if the original state has a lower sales tax.

I know I shipped a few items to Canada when I was selling on Ebay and had to have some form attached to the mailing. Finally excluded you guys as not being worth the effort.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Won't they hit you with a VAT on the auto?

Even here in the states when you move a title from one state to another the leeches stick their hand out. At least, the last time I checked, KY only collected the difference if the original state has a lower sales tax.
Correct. There's a lot of research that I still have to do in terms of determining logistics with paperwork, taxes, border crossings, vehicle conversions etc, not to mention finding the right source that can broker a sale up here (commissioned I'm sure) or a source I could work, myself, to sell it.

I've even read that some dealerships might not sell to a Canadian since they'd rather service said sale locally (which is where dealerships make a lot of their $$), rather than see the car leave the area. I don't know how true that is, but it's out there. Then there's warranty transfers, recalls...

Again, the net profit would have to be "X" dollars for it to be worth going through everything involved. At this point, I don't know if there's a decent enough profit the whole process to consider it yet. I'll continue to look into it this summer before heading south again.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

I'm never one to turn down a quick capital gain.

Selling it yourself is such as hassle but probably = more profit.

It surely never hurts to study the situation. If nothing else it keeps the brain active.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
If nothing else it keeps the brain active.
My brain is trying to think of all the good things I discovered in my golf games while playing in AZ, but also trying to forget about the bad stuff while playing golf in AZ.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

My brain as related to golf was happiest when it concluded that I really did not enjoy the game.

I do have some fond memories of playing it with good friends and sometimes wax a bit nostalgic but 2 holes would cure me of that.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

It's a tough game to even be "average" at. By "average", I'm suggesting 90 - 95 strokes per game. I'm hoping to break 90 this year - counting every penalty stroke and missed putts etc.

I just like golf because it's "outdoors", the greenery is not hard to look at, the exercise is especially good for me, and generally, the "quiet" is also nice. Except if one has to yell "FORE"!!!!

Last edited by LMD; 02-03-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

I sure hope you got some of that beautiful sunshine yesterday. While I did not venture out I enjoyed seeing it through the window.

It won't be all that long until you can beat some balls on your home turf.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

I think the sun came out for a bit in the afternoon here yesterday, but today and tomorrow is warmer. Unfortunately, this warmth, with all the melting snow, causes a pretty dense fog. I'm not travelling far today, so it isn't a bother.

For me, our golf club/course doesn't open till May 1st. That's another 90 days! The city coursed might open early if we get a warm spring. So for me, I'll l have to go to the practice range with the huge dome. You can hit about 100 yards before hitting the back wall - enough distance to tell if the ball is drawing, slicing or going straight.

Note: Saw part of the Phoenix open yesterday (when Super bowl pre-game was in commercials). There's some weird kinda weather going on - even down in AZ. Temps should be in the low, to mid 70's. I think it was at or close to 60F. I checked because everyone out there was fairly bundled up - crowd and players.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

I sometimes watch a little golf on TV but did not do any yesterday.

And completely skipped the bowl. Doesn't sound like it was a very exciting game.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

I don't normally watch football. I will watch the bowl game every year, I have no favorites, but that's about it. From what I saw, it was a very tight game - really could have gone either way. To me, it was a bit of a nail-biter. But then again, I'm not a football fan.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby