Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 03-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I would prefer that over lying in a bed having my butt wiped.

Amen to that!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Earlier you said you ran a lawn care business when younger.

How many applications per year do you think is the best bang for the buck and results in a good lawn? I ask because around here they all seem to want to sell 7 and that does not include aeration or grub control.

That's about 2 more than I personally think a lawn needs. I assume they do it to keep the techs working.

What say you?

Old 03-25-2019, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Fertilizing? I'd say 3-4 would be fine. If you are doing any of the applications yourself, the nitrogen should be highest in the spring - but not too high as you don't want the grass to grow too fast. In most fertilizer bags nitrogen numbers are shown first and in spring, should be between 20 and 30. I se a lot of 25/10/10 for use early in the spring once the snow is gone, any pooling of water is gone. Those numbers will change to something like 10/25/10 later in the year (fall or later). Nitrogen should be reduced in the warmer days (early and mid summer). Make sure it's "slow release".

Only apply grub control if you see evidence of it. You'll see dry tan patches where the little f'ers have eaten the roots, therefor killing the grass. You can even take a spade and pull up (but not completely separated from the ground) a little slice of turf no more than 4" thick. Sift by hand thru the section looking for the while f'ers. If none, pat down and that piece will be find an grow. You might have to check a half dozen places or more. If you don't see the grubs, you are lucky.

More than likely, grub material applications are done early to mid summer. In the US, you can get a good bag of grub control at Home Depot (or similar) and lightly apply in the areas of concern - usually sunny dry soil. you just have to water it in a bit afterwards to activate the chemicals. Knowing where the grubs are on your lawn historically, a light application every year in those areas until you are sure it's under control might be suggested. You may have to apply twice.

Aeration? I'd suggest once per year in the spring (not while the ground is saturated or really wet) until you get a good thick growth happening. If anything, maybe once every two years after that if you like.

2 cents.

Last edited by LMD; 03-25-2019 at 07:32 AM. Reason: add

Old 03-25-2019, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

For me grubs have never been a problem.

I do not see any crabgrass pre-emergent on your list. Is that not an issue up north?

Also did not see any broad leaf weed control. Are one or more of your fertilizer treatments weed and feed?

So based on your opinion we pretty much agree, 4-5 per year is plenty. 7 trips a year is just busy work.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
For me grubs have never been a problem.
If the lawn company suggest it, ask them to prove grubs are present.

Quote:
I do not see any crabgrass pre-emergent on your list. Is that not an issue up north?
Sure there is crab grass up here. There are a few product (liquid is better than granular) that gets broad leaf and crab grass both.

I notice the crabgrass loves the sun and hot dry soil.

IMO, clover (which can be hard to get rid of) likes the les sunny spots.

Quote:
So based on your opinion we pretty much agree, 4-5 per year is plenty. 7 trips a year is just busy work.
Depending if you need crab grass and broadleaf spraying, I'd add those two services to the 4 granular fertilizing apps - should be plenty. And, if you need spraying for weeds - maybe have it done late spring and fall.

If I were you (depending on how big your property is), I'd just get some selective herbicide concentrated liquid, mix it in a carry-around-sprayer, walk around every couple of weeks and spot-spry any weeds you see. This is what I do once per week in the spring, but then every couple of weeks after that.

Get a spreader and put down the fertilizer also - saving money is good!

In all honesty, you should consider doing yourself and save the money. It takes a bit of thought and care, but it's not that hard to do.

Last edited by LMD; 03-25-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post

In all honesty, you should consider doing yourself and save the money. It takes a bit of thought and care, but it's not that hard to do.
That is what I am doing this year. Mainly because I have one small 2-300 sq foot area that needs seeding and it is impossible to do in the early fall because of the leaf drop from a neighbor's trees. Can't do it in the spring because the crabgrass treatment prevents germination.

Now that I'm mostly retired I may be able to get it done in a timely manner. When I was working it never got done on time.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Now that I'm mostly retired I may be able to get it done in a timely manner.
Yep, sounds like a plan.

Quote:
When I was working it never got done on time.
Roger that! Especially something as application sensitive, and time sensitive (watering included in that) like trying to get new grass to take hold.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Well when I needed to do so I always made or found the time to water. The other stuff takes more time and effort.

Better market day predicted for today. We shall see.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Better market day predicted for today. We shall see.
Is this a guess, or is it predicted by the pros? If a pro source, where do you get your input for an expected market move - be it positive or negative - before the trading begins?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

For US markets: https://www.cnbc.com/pre-markets/

I can and have looked at how individual stocks are doing in pre-market sales within the quotes section of my brokerage account. That is more work than benefit most of the time.

I'm sure something similar is available for the Toronto exchange. Here's one I found using Tsx pre market data: http://thestockmarketwatch.com/markets/canada/tsx/

If we were relying on my gut feeling we might be right 10% of the time.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
For US markets: https://www.cnbc.com/pre-markets/

Here's one I found using Tsx pre market data: http://thestockmarketwatch.com/markets/canada/tsx/
Thanks for that. I'll check them out. I can't remember my exact ratio, but we do have a good percentage of US stocks.

Quote:
If we were relying on my gut feeling we might be right 10% of the time.
In all honesty, being right 10% of the time still sounds better than being wrong 90% of the time.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

3 members and 2129 Guests online here. Whew! Almost an all time low. On the other forum I participate in, there are 18 members and only 568 Guests. I'm sure some of the active members are bots, but they allow sigs over there, so I can see why the attendance is higher there.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

So far so good. A better than average day shaping up on the markets.

Looks like your 10% is golden today.

I'm looking forward to your guestimate for tomorrows markets too!

Old 03-26-2019, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for that. I'll check them out. I can't remember my exact ratio, but we do have a good percentage of US stocks.

In all honesty, being right 10% of the time still sounds better than being wrong 90% of the time.
If you don't mind answering, can you buy all US stocks in a CA account? Here in the US there seems to be some restrictions on what CA stocks I can buy. Or, maybe it is just the brokerage company I'm with.

Not having sigs has certainly slowed the traffic around here. Most of the missing were no asset. A lot of the better members dropped away before that. Probably due to the overall low quality posting.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I don't pick actual stocks, but I can direct the package weighting. While it might seem to go heavy US might be a good thing to do, it really is an individual approach to how comfortable one is with how the funds are distributed.

Questrade is pushing hard up here in their marketing, trying to make the FA's look almost silly, buy boasting lower investment fees. I am going to look into it down the road a bit, but right now our MERs are pretty low. When they begin to increase (because they inevitably will in the future), we might look to other company products, like Questrade.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Okay. You have professional mgt. That's a good thing for busy people. I did it that way for years.

Then I let the big boys take me under the bleachers and teach me to shoot craps. After that i bought a few quality stocks in my retirement plan; and a couple of losers also.

I still apply the first method as my favorite long term holdings consist of several quality closed end funds which are professionally managed and far more diversified than I could ever hope to achieve with my meager funds.

I guess I'm off to buy a broadcast spreader for the fertilizer. I've always done small areas by hand but an entire yard or hand applying a weed and feed is not something I care to do.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I guess I'm off to buy a broadcast spreader for the fertilizer. I've always done small areas by hand but an entire yard or hand applying a weed and feed is not something I care to do.
By "hand", did you mean a hand-held spreader? If it's really a small area, the hand-held unit might suffice. I think you said 300 sq feet? A small push-spreader or hand-held would suffice, sure.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

By hand means a bucket and my right hand. Grew up on a farm and that was the way we did it. You have to keep your back to the wind and toss high or low depending on the mph of the wind. Grass seed, fertilizer, tobacco beds etc.

The repair area is about 300sf and that I will do by hand. The rest of the yard needs a spring feeding also and that is about 5000sf.

Bought the mini Scot with the edge guard to help direct the stuff around the edges. Maybe tomorrow I will apply it. Better not wait too late as I hate to sweat.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

I can post a reply in this thread now, but I cannot quote your previous post's contents above this post.

Anyhow, I think I've got the mid-sized Scot spreader. I love the "edge guard".

Old 03-27-2019, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I can post a reply in this thread now, but I cannot quote your previous post's contents above this post.

Anyhow, I think I've got the mid-sized Scot spreader. I love the "edge guard".
Not having that problem.. Read reply to PM.

I will let you know my opinion of the spreader late tomorrow.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby