Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 04-03-2019, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Ooooo. The market started out nice this morning when I looked (10:30), but it seems the traders forgot the coffee this afternoon, what with one ending up trading neutral again, and the other has lost a little bit. I'm really interested in seeing the outcome numbers. Will check later.

Ya, today's service on the newer car is a bit of a surprise considering it's only got 23k kilometers on it (about 14,000 miles). My older vehicle is going in next week. That will be interesting. It's got 100,000 miles on it, but the 2.5L Nissan engines can easily go to 160k miles or more

I can't wait for the gutter snipes to get their own cars.

TTL.

Last edited by LMD; 04-03-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post

That will be interesting. It's got 100,000 miles on it, but the 2.5L Nissan engines can easily go to 160k miles or more

TTL.
At 100K miles a Nissan 2.5 is just broke in. Other than tuneups, belt changes, a mass air flow handler (carb) and a valve cover gasket I've done nothing to mine and it still has good power and compression at 207K.

I think the MAFH was at about 160K and that did bring tears to my eyes. They are right fond of that part. Of course if it was an old style carb system I probably would have rebuilt or replaced it twice by then.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

The Nissan 2.5L engine has been around for I guess almost 20 years, and is a good engine for it's power, efficiency, and you are right - it's longevity. And, when you think about it, for a 4 cylinder engine, it's pretty big and I think at the time, it was rated at 170 hp.

But - it had one really annoying "noise flaw". I know this because I purchased an 09 Altima 2.5 from new, and in the winter mostly (but even warm weather, albeit the noise was a little less), until the engine has warmed up to operating temperature (usually 3 or 4 kilometers or so), it has an annoying "tapping" or "ticking" noise on low to average acceleration, from a stop. However, the noise would disappear slowly once it warmed up to normal operating temperature.

This really bothered me. I found it to be common, complaint on that engine - after I bought the car.

Apparently, I was told Nissan redesigned the 2.5 engine (I think it was in 2013) and/or added some extra cab insulation to reduce the noise - I don't really know which.

I can't really say whether that is true or not, because I've not purchased another Nissan with a 2.5 on or after 2013. I did have a 2013 Altima for a short time before trading it in for a Maxima, but that 2013 Altima had the 3.5, not the 2.5.

Last edited by LMD; 04-04-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

It does have the noise; especially if the oil is just a bit low. Did not notice it as much before I pulled the interior carpet and padding after the AC evap pan overflowed. Gee that is yet another project on my list.

Had a very pleasant experience at Lowes this morning. They ran the fertilizer spreader I bought and never used last week on sale this week for $15 less. Just my good luck I saw the ad. The refunded the difference. I got the sale price and 10% off of that. Not quite half price but close to it.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
It does have the noise; especially if the oil is just a bit low.
I immediately went to "synthetic" oil changes as the Dealership said it was a better oil, but it also may "quieten" the noise. Nope, didn't work.

The shop foreman even went so far to suggest using an Ester oil at no extra charge. Made no difference.

At that point they began to wonder about my sanity when it comes to cars.

I'll not even get into the issue with a vibration when driving with snows on the basic black "snow tire rims". That's a story for another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Had a very pleasant experience at Lowes this morning. They ran the fertilizer spreader I bought and never used last week on sale this week for $15 less. Just my good luck I saw the ad. The refunded the difference. I got the sale price and 10% off of that. Not quite half price but close to it.
I really appreciate the lengths that companies like Lowes, Home Depot and our Canadian Tire stores go with their customer service.

Quote:
Got something that doesn't work right? "Bring it back in for an exchange or refund".
Found something you bought cheaper elsewhere? "Show us the advert, your bill and we'll give you a discount refund/credit".
That is the way customer service should work.

Smaller companies and contractors when trying to get something fixed or replaced, they just "deny, deny, deny" until you get tired of trying for resolve and abandon further attempts.

Last edited by LMD; 04-04-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

It sure makes for happy customers.

How is your market doing? The last time I looked here was sideways.

Geez. I thought I killed the microwave a few minutes ago. Must have some kind of safety for explosions. When I cleaned the mess it still worked. Don't ever try to melt bacon juice sitting in a TBS of vinegar.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Markets? Slightly down - 2.9 points on the S&P. TSX down about 13.

Until the kids move out, (things like the hardwood floors, microwave, stove, stone counters - all the things we adults try to keep in as new of a state as possible) they will systematically destroy everything in sight. It's not "if" it will happen, it's "when" and "how bad" they do it.

That's not all they destroy. When I bought the 09 Altima, the kids destroyed the interior with goopy stuff (because we had to travel to far off places while they ate dinner in the car) and the Hockey rink parking lot travellers (those that had their little kidlets carry big, wide hockey bags between tightly spaced cars - because the parking spaces were made for Micra's) facilitated tons of surface scratches,

Last edited by LMD; 04-04-2019 at 09:59 AM. Reason: add for more clarity... ;)

Old 04-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Ooooooo! Markets are back up.

Hey traders - DRINK SOME COFFEE! KEEP IT GOING!

Old 04-05-2019, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Until the kids move out, (things like the hardwood floors, microwave, stove, stone counters - all the things we adults try to keep in as new of a state as possible) they will systematically destroy everything in sight. It's not "if" it will happen, it's "when" and "how bad" they do it.
Feel better?

BTDT and don't care to return to it.

But I'm sure love outweighs the frustration. Moderate distance love is even better.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

I do love them to bits. But, they're just big forms of what the French term as a "cochon". Tranlation: pig, hog, swine.

And, they manage to keep me just out of reach of "the poor house".

Markets did Ok yesterday and returns were meh.

Today, markets are marginally better, but it's only mid-day.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Markets still up from noon. Looks like a good day.

Signing off for a bit.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

It was a pretty good day for the markets here. I am back up to where I was a week ago. The sin stocks are still down , so other things have gained.

I checked 2 things off my my short list of 7 so pretty good day here also.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

16C and mostly cloudy today. Depending on what weather app you use, tomorrow it looks like sunny and 18C (65F).

Old 04-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Heavy rain.

Wore myself out getting the boat stuff ready to sell.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

"Carver Yacht" kind of boat stuff?

I'm making some changes around here and I'll probably be selling some stuff as well, or it'll be going to the curb on garbage day.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
"Carver Yacht" kind of boat stuff?
Hardly! All my life I wanted a sensible fishing boat. Waited too late in life to acquire it and found that old knees and weak backs don't play well with the motion of the ocean in a small craft.

Tis just a 14 wide bottom john boat and a sensible 3.5HP 4 stroke engine. The boat was used and I got tired of looking at junk and bought the motor new. Most likely I will break even on the boat and lose a few hundred on the 'used' engine with 6 actual hours of use.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

I twice stayed on a Carver 53' for a weekend. They are really in the "for the rich and famous" category.

What I learned about those vessels (too big to call a boat) above how expensive they are to purchase, is that it's even beyond the costly maintenance, storage and the $4000 it cost to fill the tanks with fuel, you can never use the head when the boat is under full throttle.

Well there's that, and never to leave any of the water taps running by accident. You can run out of water real fast that way.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

It don't matter if that is USD on CA $; it way above my pay grade either way.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Ya, they are way too lofty in price for the rich and famous only!

What was kind of fun to watch now and then, was the local skidoos in certain areas as they tried following us so they could cross the wake back and forth getting plenty of air while the boat was at full throttle. They gave up trying to keep up after a few minutes.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

At least you have the memory. Cruise ships and row boats are all I have.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby