Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 04-09-2019, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

I have a 2-person dingy with two lifejackets and two oars. My BIL would use that dingy to "set" the 4 anchors around the boat when we reached a enclave bay for the night so it wouldn't swing around with the wind during the day or night because there were always other boats who knew of, and visited that little bay regularly. We also used the motorized dingy to pull the smaller dingy with one kid in it. Kind of like "tubing" but with a bigger tube.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

'Setting the anchors' This refers to the big boat?

A dingy; is that a small boat or rubber craft?

I guess it would take 4 anchors for a boat of any size. Even this small moves a bit with just 2 set.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
'Setting the anchors' This refers to the big boat?
Yes, those boats are quite long and tall so it can move about quite a bit if there are strong winds. So yes, he'd set 4 anchors to keep it from moving too much.

Quote:
A dingy; is that a small boat or rubber craft?
Yes, the one being towed by the one with the engine would really small for two people at most.

Quote:
I guess it would take 4 anchors for a boat of any size. Even this small moves a bit with just 2 set.
He told me a story about not going to sleep one stormy night where he had to stay up in bridge using the little front and rear side thrusters to keep it in place even with the 4 anchors set.

Last edited by LMD; 04-09-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah. That makes motel 6 look a lot better to me. Plus I don't have to clean the galley.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

I heard the markets were down yesterday. I'm hoping today will be better.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mine were up this morning about the same amount they went down yesterday. It is a see-saw ride.

I hope you have a nice weather day. It is absolutely beautiful here today.

I push mow for 20m and take a30m break. That should motivate me to install the carb on the rider.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Didn't actually look yesterday but heard they were down slightly. So far all is positive today with only a couple hours till close.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

Did not make it back here yesterday because our power went out twice and stayed out for about 6 hours the second time. That is something that never happens in our area since we are underground so it had to be transmission lines or sub-station failure. At that point I refused to reboot and sure enough 45 minutes later it went out again for about 20 seconds Beautiful day not a cloud in the sky. AC loads?

Maybe it was sympathy pains for the mid-west.

I see they arrested the wiki-leaks guy. That should feed the news hounds for a day or so.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

I used to be in an older area of town. How old you ask? Well, it was so old, when a cloud covered the sun, we'd get power failures. (pa dum bum)

Kidding greatly about "the cloud", but we had seriously weak power delivery at best. I'm in a newer area now and although we get some minor outages, they don't last long. We get a lot of "brown outs" so electronic surge protectors are a must.

Although the markets were slightly up yesterday, the results (at least for myself) were meh.

My golf course opens in roughly about two weeks and am still waiting for the putter mallet cover I ordered online two weeks ago.

I ordered speakers from Amazon, and a putter cover and speaker stands from eBay. I ordered the stands and speakers about 9 days after ordering the putter cover. I've had the speakers and the speaker stands for over a week now, and the putter cover (the smallest and lightest of purchases) is still in transit.

Last edited by LMD; 04-11-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
We get a lot of "brown outs" so electronic surge protectors are a must.
Surge protectors or UPS? I have the former and came darn close to shopping for the latter this morning. Those hard shutdowns are not good for any system.

Markets were flat at 11 this morning and I haven't looked lately.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Surge protectors or UPS? I have the former and came darn close to shopping for the latter this morning.
I got one with both UPS and serge protector. If I recall, it's got 6 plugins with surge and battery, and 4 plugins with just surge protection. It's rated for 30 minutes power backup, but with my three monitors and PC box, I think I might 10 minutes. In reality all I need is a couple of minutes, maximum, to save data and gracefully shut the machine down. If I'm going to step away for a while and I know there's some weather on the way, I'll just power it down before I leave.

Quote:
Those hard shutdowns are not good for any system.
Exactly! When I was looking for the new UPS, I asked about software that might auto-shut down the PC when the power went out, but he couldn't say for sure. I actually thought my previous Belkin UPS (that just bit the dust) had that capability, but I'm sure I either imagined it or dreamed it.

Quote:
Markets were flat at 11 this morning and I haven't looked lately.
Same here. I'm hoping for a recovery.

Last edited by LMD; 04-11-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Slight recovery of the Markets here to an almost neutral position. I can't wait to see if it has moved the chains (results) at all.

Leafs and Boston tonight. I'm not feeling good about the Leafs chance, but they're the underdogs and at least have more than just a chance.

Later!

Old 04-12-2019, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Did you enjoy the game?

Without auto shutdown software a UPS would not have helped on day with no bad weather. Let me look at this for a bit.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

The game was a good, but with a bit of a unexpected, but welcome outcome. The underdogs won in the home team's barn. I look forward to Saturday's game.

Ya, re the UPS - it's weird you had the outage on such a non-weather-event day. Those situations you don't really expect, unless there was schedule maintenance which somehow went sideways on the technicians.

I would expect there are UPS devices that do have a compatible proprietary software shutdown function, but it may be pricy. Or, there probably is some acceptable stand-alone software options.

I just did a Google search and found a couple of references to a product called PowerChute. I don't know if it is hardware (UPS) dependant or not as I've not the time to look into it right now. But, in skimming thru the site, the sw has a impressive interface for current power info, as well as configuring shutdown options. Try visiting apc.com. There's a "personal" edition, but no pricing that I could find. I think it's a trial then buy option.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

I spent about an hour looking at this this morning hitting multiple trusted vendor sites and reading the details. Amazon is a great place to buy but often does not include all the technical info one needs to make an intelligent decision. Actually to be fair I'm not sure any one sites provides all the details.

All but the most basic UPS's have some form of shutdown management software. The PowerChute is for the APS branded ones. PoweChute comes in several levels. Personal Edition is home model.

Yours may even have one. All seem to work via USB now. A USB cable with either a micro USB connector on one end or perhaps a proprietary end is how the unit controls the PC. The $80 USD and up models mostly include the cable. It is an optional purchase for several of the lessor priced units.

As with many things the software is not in the box. It is via download only until you get to the more expensive models.

I guess my next step is to figure out my load for the CPU and tower. If the power stays off for more than 30-60 seconds I just want to save all files and power down the unit. If it just winks off and then back on then all should still be fine.

Replacement costs on batteries vary from brand to brand as do the warranties. 3-5 years is projected battery life and there isn't a lot of differece between the branded replacement battery and the cost of a new unit.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

I found the cable and downloaded the manufacturer software. The UPS software is set to power-down the machine. Interesting interface lots of info on the power, volts, capacity, load, remaining run time, self-test and some email notifications that I can't seem to get to work right now.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

May I ask which one you have?

Old 04-12-2019, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

CyberPower 1500. It's had good reviews from those who purchased it before - hopefully they're real reviews and not fake. It was on sale for $40 off. I love a good discount!

Old 04-13-2019, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

That does look like a nice unit. I may still be looking to far down the food chain.

I particularly like the voltage regulation without using the battery. Probably not as important here as out in the country.

How long did your old unit / battery last? I never mind spending money for a one time purchase but I abhor continuing expenses.

Had to break down and turn this furnace on this am after 2 days of AC.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not exactly sure, but I think the Belkin lasted about 6 years. It was comparable, maybe even a better unit than this new one, and even back then, maybe a bit overkill. But I didn't want to mess around with electronics protection equipment that was rated as just "adequate" for the job when one's living is at stake.

I looked into the a battery replacement options. There was a "rebuilding" the batter pack option (cheapest option), purchasing a replacement battery pack (about $100 probably USD plus shipping) or just replacing the whole unit for $159CAD. To me, the choice was an easy one.

Our furnace is still running with regularity - especially at night. I have had the car windows down lately and the moon roof open now and then, but definitely no AC for the car or house until probably mid to late next month. My son calls me "window man" because I like driving with the windows down in the car - even when it's warm outside.

Last edited by LMD; 04-13-2019 at 06:52 AM. Reason: add

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby