Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 05-19-2019, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Summer-like weather tomorrow.
Same her yesterday and today.

My tomatoes planted on Wednesday have grown about 6 inches in 3 days.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Summer yesterday. Today, mid spring weather. Talk about your rollercoaster weather playing out.

Got all our annual flower baskets hung, water irrigation set up but it needs a little maintenance (a couple of hose leaks here and there). Got all the herbs planted, and grass finally cut and trimmed. My back is aching today.

One exterior water spigot is leaking out of the stem. There are two holes on the stem in in which water comes out when under pressure or when flowing. I've finished the basement ceiling with drywall too.

Last edited by LMD; 05-20-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post

Got all our annual flower baskets hung, water irrigation set up but it needs a little maintenance (a couple of hose leaks here and there). (
What type of irrigation system do you use? I need some info from someone who isn't trying to sell me something.

I gotta mow today. I put in off because of the junk sale.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

My system is not anywhere near professional. I've got two irrigation unit timers (Melnor), set up in two different areas of the property that each have two "zones" per unit. I use them with soaker hoses on one zone for the flowers beds that need at least 30 minutes of soaking. And I use the other zone on each unit to manage planters and hanging baskets with small width plastic hoses and direct spray heads.

Full sun flower beds get watered once per day. Shade gardens once every 2-3 days. Hanging baskets and planters get watered twice per day. The planters and baskets get 3 minutes twice per day - not a big deal of water.

For the grass, I just manually water it as needed because once you consider managing the turf along with everything else, you'd need something more sophisticated, with more zones and more programming functionality along with moisture sensors etc. Once you get to that level of irrigation, you might as well go for at least entry level commercial products.

I have ordered a couple of moisture sensors that will plug into the units so they can negate watering if the soil is wet, rather than me turning off the water to both spigots from the basement.

That all said, I'm just about one step away from getting quotes for a complete irrigation system. They can be very expensive, but IMO, I think they're worth it - especially if you're like us and spend thousands of dollars on trees, shrubs and perennials, along with hundreds of hours installing and nurturing them all too.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Note: Right now, I'm only watering the baskets and planters at most, once per day if it's sunny.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Compared to a hose and bucket it sounds semi-pro,

Quote:
I've got two irrigation unit timers (Melnor), set up in two different areas of the property that each have two "zones" per unit.
So these are 'under pressure' and the timer controls the flow at times and for the duration you specify?

I would like to auto water my tomato beds and can't decide how to do it. Drip on a timer is one possibility. I don't want to risk a hose blowing and wasting water for hours.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
So these are 'under pressure' and the timer controls the flow at times and for the duration you specify?
Frequency, and duration - yes.

Quote:
I would like to auto water my tomato beds and can't decide how to do it. Drip on a timer is one possibility. I don't want to risk a hose blowing and wasting water for hours.
I looked at the "drip" nozzles in the beginning (of which there are many, depending on what kind of volume of drip one needs) and of course I tried them out. I didn't like them especially for the "sun drenched" planters/baskets. So, I went directly to the spray nozzles, experimented a bit with some (there are variations in these nozzles too), found the ones I liked - give the baskets a quick (2 minute) bath twice a day and the plants seem to like it.

Re: the host blowing and wasting water, sure, there always is that possibility. That said, if you are on the property, you'll see and hear it happening. If you are in the house, and as long as there isn't a lot of ambiant noise in or outside the house, you should be able to hear water running.

I could hear one of the upstairs toilets running because the flapper chain got caught in the up position.

Now, when your not home, well.....that's a bit of a different story.

Last edited by LMD; 05-21-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

I took a look at Melnor irrigation timers. That 4 way looks like a nice unit.

Then I completely confused myself looking at drip systems. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on how many and what GPH tomato plants prefer. I also want something I can pull if I need to rework the bed.

I realize requirements vary based on climate and soil. I may have to learn the hard way using trial and error.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I took a look at Melnor irrigation timers. That 4 way looks like a nice unit.
I'd have gotten the 4 zone timer (one unit) except for my big honkin stone patio is so big I'd have to get an extra 75' hose to go all the way around. So, I've got two 2-zone units.

Quote:
Then I completely confused myself looking at drip systems. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on how many and what GPH tomato plants prefer. I also want something I can pull if I need to rework the bed.
I had tomatoes in a pot last year, and just watered them the same as the hanging baskets. Note: if you go with the four zone unit, you could put the tomatoes on their own. And/or, with the little plastic sprinkler nozzles that you place in the baskets/planters etc, you can open them up a bit for more water, and close them down a bit for less.

Quote:
I realize requirements vary based on climate and soil. I may have to learn the hard way using trial and error.
That's the way I learned. I just had to think it out a bit - where to put the plastic hose - where to attach the soakers - how much pressure is being used, and where. It's all fun when you finally get it working the way you like.

Played 9 holes today. Not bad for a first time.

Here's a sample of the little watering nozzle. There are many - this one is the sprinkler version, not the drip nozzles https://www.homedepot.ca/product/orb...ck-/1000743752

Last edited by LMD; 05-21-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the golf. I know you were looking forward to that.

I wound up buying the 2 zone also because 2 zones on that side of the house are all I need. I think for this year I will just pair it with some soaker hoses. I have an extra hose I can cut up to to get the soaker in position and that will give me time to figure out how to run a drip system the way I want to do it.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Congrats on the golf. I know you were looking forward to that.

I wound up buying the 2 zone also because 2 zones on that side of the house are all I need. I think for this year I will just pair it with some soaker hoses. I have an extra hose I can cut up to to get the soaker in position and that will give me time to figure out how to run a drip system the way I want to do it.
Thanks for that - I needed to get out.

You'll need a kit that has "things" to puncture the hose, a small hose that attaches to the puncture things and then leads to the pots (or whatever area you are trying to water). In fact you can install multiple smaller hoses that syphon water out of the rubber hose.

Note: I tried to puncture the cheap hose with the "things", and it was pretty much a fail. It was difficult to get the puncture pieces not to spray everywhere. I got an expensive flexible black rubber hose instead, and there were no puncture leaks.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for that - I needed to get out.

May you have many more great golf outings.

Quote:
You'll need a kit that has "things" to puncture the hose, a small hose that attaches to the puncture things and then leads to the pots (or whatever area you are trying to water). In fact you can install multiple smaller hoses that syphon water out of the rubber hose.
Yah. I got that far and I excluded the kits with cheap hoses pretty quickly from my shopping list.

I became confused with all the fittings and different emitter rates, already own one soaker hose and can buy another for $8; cheap enough for a year.

I envision the system as two single trunks to the left and right of the faucet with short runs pf smaller branches to each plant utilizing 1-3 low flow emitters. Then their are 2 baskets and 2 pots that I would love to tie into the system. Way too much planning for the present time.

And local Mama may want some of the action when she sees it working.

I think the timer and consistent watering is my best short term solution. It should solve my blossom end rot and cracked fruit problems. The primary reason I still grow tomatoes is that no one who sells them ever lets them get truly ripe and they grow the best shipper not the best tasting.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Protect them tomatoes from the squirrels! The squirrels went after our strawberry planter too (hanging about 5' off the ground).

For me, it was thinking it out. For example, if I fed a soaker hose directly from the beginning of a 30 foot bed, the first 10 feet would get more water than the next 20 feet. So, I deduced that I would try running the plastic hose from the timer, half way to the end of the bed, cut the hose at that point, put a "T" adapter and ran soakers back to the front of the bed and to the end of the bed. That way, they both deliver approximately more water throughout the entire 30 feet.

However, as you can imagine, at the "T" junction, that area got a bit more water than either end.

Trial and error, and do the best you can.

Note: make sure your pots have ample drainage holes. I found our tomato pot didn't and it got saturated last year. Stunk too!

L

Old 05-22-2019, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Note: make sure your pots have ample drainage holes. I found our tomato pot didn't and it got saturated last year. Stunk too!

L
I had one of those; smelled like the bottom of the fish pond.

I'm trying something new to avoid the problem in the future. After cleaning it all out I went to the $ store and bought a kitchen sink strainer basket, pulled off the rubber stopper, placed the metal basket upside down over the drain hole, cover all of that with coarse gravel and added a layer of landscape fabric cut to the bottom diameter of the pot, then added the dirt over all of that. I figure it is good for a few years.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I had one of those; smelled like the bottom of the fish pond.
It was really gross. I dumped most of the sediment from the pot over our back fence at the bottom of a berm leading up and into the forest. But sheesh, if the wind blew just right that day, that smell could catch you from 30 paces away. Ugh.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I got an expensive flexible black rubber hose instead, and there were no puncture leaks.
Do you happen to recall the name of brand? I would rather learn from your experiece and a rubber like hose sounds easier to coil and store in the off season.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

I honestly can't remember the name of the hose manufacturer, but I'll see next time I'm out side if there a printed name on the hose. At this point, all I can tell you is that it did cost at least double what the average host cost and maybe 3 or 4 time that of a cheap hose. I will tell you that the surface was more pliable and softer than the other cheaper hoses that seemed to have a stiffer outside cover. I thought the softer outside would be easier to puncture, and not spray or leak when installing the pieces for the small syphon hoses, and I was right.

Last edited by LMD; 05-23-2019 at 08:31 AM. Reason: add

Old 05-24-2019, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

No rush. I'm good to go for this year.

Do you have a pressure regulator on your system? I see it suggested to lower the pressure down to 25 PSI or so. It makes sense that it might be desirable with high supply line pressure.

Better get some golf in before the weather turns hot.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:44 PM
Administrator

We are going to have a garden now. Will have to come back are reread all the irrigation stuff again.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
We are going to have a garden now. Will have to come back are reread all the irrigation stuff again.
So you and DH scored a house? I thought you were a confirmed condo dweller.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby