Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 08-26-2019, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Ya, I think it's going to be powered cameras - wireless I think, but hard wired. I have to make a few calls to get some info and a quote - I don't have the time, tools or know-how to make this happen.

Weather is coming in tomorrow, so I'll spend some time inside trying to make headway sorting thru years of stuff I've been holding on to. Ugh!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Here, outside sure had a Fall look yesterday, dark and drizzly. Today started that way. It may burn off later in the day.

If it dries off I may top the grass. It doesn't really need mowing but is a bit ragged. Better to top and mow again soon when it grows some.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Back to perfect grass growing weather for us - warm sunny days, some with rain and then cool nights. Gives me a chance to fix a few spots I goofed up with and burned a bit. Duh!

Last edited by LMD; 08-27-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

About the same here. Whether it lasts or not depends on which way the wind blows.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Now I've got to replace a garden spigot which is leaking. The trouble is, "the powers that be" (um, yes - the boss) convinced me to have the basement ceiling drywalled with the basement reno two years ago. Now I've got to cut the ceiling open to get at the spigot connection to replace it. Sheesh!! It never ends.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Something like that will be a future need also. If the boss will allow it I suggest an access door / panel in lieu of a drywall patch.

To make you feel any better: I never got my third spigot replaced so I hand watered the tomatoes all season.

Holiday weekend in the US this weekend, Summer 2019's last fling.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Wondering what the purpose of this and please explain the meaning of life while you're at it. =)

Old 08-28-2019, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Just because we can answers both questions.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Something like that will be a future need also. If the boss will allow it I suggest an access door / panel in lieu of a drywall patch.

To make you feel any better: I never got my third spigot replaced so I hand watered the tomatoes all season.

Holiday weekend in the US this weekend, Summer 2019's last fling.
Yes, that is what I initially wanted - an access panel to that, and a couple of other spots on the celling as well. I was out-voted.

A bit of a pain, but some comfort in watering the plants by hand.

Sadly, yes - the long weekend, summer's last fling. Bittersweet - another summer has gone by so quickly (I really thought things might slow down a bit with retirement), but there's so much left to do going forward.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
(I really thought things might slow down a bit with retirement), but there's so much left to do going forward.
Honestly I just can't work like I formerly did. A hour or two of hard labor and I'm done. The list seems to be growing and not shrinking.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Honestly I just can't work like I formerly did. A hour or two of hard labor and I'm done. The list seems to be growing and not shrinking.
Me too. Max 2 hours and I'm done - or at least need a long break.

I don't mind the list. I'm just glad I can assert and get across my assessment of my own limitations in terms of how fast things get started/done.

Of course there are exceptions to that rule, to negate being banished to the garden shed overnight - or longer

Old 08-28-2019, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gommer683 View Post
please explain the meaning of life while you're at it. =)
Wrong thread, and most likely the wrong forum for that type of question.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Me too. Max 2 hours and I'm done - or at least need a long break.

I don't mind the list. I'm just glad I can assert and get across my assessment of my own limitations in terms of how fast things get started/done.

Of course there are exceptions to that rule, to negate being banished to the garden shed overnight - or longer
If I recall correctly I've got 10 years on you (6.

Assessing how long a job will take is still a problem for me as my brain is still programmed for the days gone.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

I think less than 10 years, if the "6" is 60 something.

Assessing a job - I usually start at guessing it'll take 2 hours if it involves finding tools, reading instructions, planning out a strategy etc.

Moving jobs are minimum 4 hours when you consider all the thinking processes that must supersede any back-breaking work. And oh my, the cleaning up after moving a dresser or bed, the well deserved, and needed breaks.

Putting a couple of pieces of furniture together - Ikea stuff - an afternoon.

I could go on, but then you'd see I'm just throwing numbers out there.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

68 almost 69.

Don't know where the shades came from.

Ah! Tool gathering. That can be a project all its own. I try to make a list of the steps with the tools / materials required as sub listings. About 75% effective. If the project is not at home I just load a lot of stuff on the truck.

I have toolboxes for major categories but some stuff defies classification. And then there is the failure to return stuff to the proper box bin.

Just shoot me before you ask me to do IKEA stuff.

I must own a 100 screwdrivers but had to buy a set of 4 more to work under the sewing machine arm. It was too much of PITA to use the offsets I already owned. At least these cute little guys were only about $4 for 4.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

You've got 5 years on me.

I now have about 4 or 5 tool boxes and a few bags with various tools in each. I probably have better odds winning the lottery that guess which box the tool I'm looking for is in. Or, even find that tool box or bag.

I used to have about a dozen Philips screw drivers, and few, if any, slotted ones. Now, all I've got are slotted ones. Have no idea where the Philips ones have gone.

Those stubbies are cool. There's always a time where the long handled ones don't work - and those little guys would. I may have to get me some!

Old 08-30-2019, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Those stubbies are cool. There's always a time where the long handled ones don't work - and those little guys would. I may have to get me some!
They are perfect for the sewing machine. At 1.5" total length and a handle about the size of nickle you aren't going to get any torque out of them.

I do as much screw work as I possibly can with my cordless drill. Around me slotted drivers are only used to remove screws for replacement with a better style head. Call me lazy.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

I hate drapery hangers - most I've dealt with make the top screw of the hanger difficult to screw in - I usually end up stripping the screw as it is set in the wall. It'll never come off without some digging.

The stubby might work if going onto a wall anchor - but if it's going into a stud, it would be difficult to screw in.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

The first thing you do when you buy retail drapery stuff is throw away the cheap screws that come in the hardware pack and use some with well formed heads made out of decent metal. 1/4" Hex head screws and fixed head driver bit with a 6" shaft makes it pretty simple.

That's 28 years of drapery hanging experience speaking.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Ya, got that. I've installed my own wall anchors - heavy duty ones where required. They screw directly into the wall and the screws go into the anchors. They're great.

For the brackets, it's a little tough sometimes where screwing the screws into the upper screw holes require going in on an angle, or the drill is on an angle. In that case, the drill bit (or screw driver for that matter) isn't fully able to drive the screw in the last half inch or so. Especially if you are lucky (or unlucky) and some of the screws are going into wood for stability.

I just bend the rod holders up a bit so I can get a better angle with the screws and drill.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby