Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-22-2017, 01:53 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

University

If you go to the university again, what specialty would you choose?

Or what would you suggest to study, taking recent trends into consideration?

The choice of degree is a big dilemma for a lot of young people today so I wanted to hear some opinions.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2017, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think a university degree is overrated. I just graduated with a degree in energy production & efficiency and I have absolutely NO HANDS ON EXPERIENCE on what energy production is and how to manage it. We were taught only the theoretical aspects with differ more than enough with reality... So if you want to do a good job try to learn it yourself, surf the web and I am sure you will find enough information to do your job well.

PS: "I learned more about energy off the web than from my energy degree"

Old 11-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebar.123 View Post
I think a university degree is overrated. I just graduated with a degree in energy production & efficiency and I have absolutely NO HANDS ON EXPERIENCE on what energy production is and how to manage it. We were taught only the theoretical aspects with differ more than enough with reality... So if you want to do a good job try to learn it yourself, surf the web and I am sure you will find enough information to do your job well.

Hmm, good point.

What do you think about Business Academies?
Myself, I graduated with a degree in Marketing from Business Academy in Denmark. It is a practice orientated program, which is mostly based on various business cases. Additionally, it requires you to have at least 1 year of the internship.

Except of marketing you can study such things as IT, Financial Management, Tourism and etc.

Can it be something you would rather go for? Or you are still not convinced in the relevance of the uni degree?

Old 11-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I just graduated with a degree in energy production & efficiency and I have absolutely NO HANDS ON EXPERIENCE
More and more universities (at least here in Canada) are adding "internship" courses to the students studies. And, some are actively pushing and helping students gain on-the-job experience in, technically, their 4th year.

You see, after their 3rd year of studies, students are assisted in finding internship work (ideally paid work) which gives students experience in the field for up to 16 months. This can help with job experience, living expenses and help pay off student loans too. Students then come back to finish their degree for their 4th year of study, technically, in their 5th year.

Other universities have networking skills shops, and yet others have one-day-a-week working internships for select businesses tied to their field of studies. These are usually non-paid arrangements, but students can get "hands on" experience, and maybe a foot in the door for employment after graduation

Quote:
Not surprised about that.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

In Romania, we also have such programs but they only last for three months but the companies don't treat you like a full intern but the industry is not that big so it can accommodate for all the students.
I was one of the lucky ones I got 3 months at an HVAC company but it was not enough experience to consider myself a full engineer.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:41 PM

now you can study anything online but you must like the thing which you want study

when i was young i hope to be doctor but i i become an engineer

Old 12-04-2017, 12:41 PM

I am currently learning to become an IT engineer, I went to practice at some companies in this field; Really, I feel depressed. I realize I have no code passion, What I do is try to complete the repetitive tasks every day with a computer screen and a keyboard in a room with four walls surrounded. Very little interaction between people, that is not what I want. if i were to choose university again, maybe I will choose a university of economics and learn about marketing. I admire those who study in this field, they are very active; They can go out and meet a lot of people... Interestingly, that is what I want.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:03 AM

Nowadays you can study anything online but you must like the thing which you want study

when I was studying I hope to be a doctor but I become an engineer.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby