Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 02-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Individualist

That's what I'm afraid of. My brother was always skin and bones until he stopped smoking.

I remember visiting my mother in Yakima - as I walked in the door I looked upstairs into the kitchen and saw this huge guy. I turned to my mother and asked who it was, and she said "Mike". (My brother) Damn that was a shocker.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2004, 06:53 PM

As long as it's the right kind of food, you'll be fine!
I was quite fit while in my teens, ate too much junk during high school, end up weighing about 250 pounds. That was a few years ago...

Been steadily working out to get fit and am now finally getting a body I am starting to like, less fat more muscle but that's completely off topic anywho... the thing is if you do start to put on some weight, stray away from the junk food a bit, a little exercise won't kill you, oh it can hurt real bad but it's all good for you!

Old 02-17-2004, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

I have read almost all the posts here and I agree with most persons, smoking is bad, really really bad . I started smoking as a teenager in high school and did so for the next six years, untill one day my grandfather asked me to help him carry something around the back and when I tried I got shortness of breath and fell to the floor - I couldn't breathe, I almost died that day. I had to decide that if I wanted to continue to live and live a normal and healthy life I had to quit!

My decision was also helped by the fact that I committed the urge and desires to the one I believe is greater - JESUS CHRIST, but i'm not here to preach. I agree with I, Brian, it is both a physical and psychological battle and the word battle implies just that! a battle . For you to overcome this nasty habit you will have to decide to fight the urge to smoke with all your might. I do not agree that you should replace one habit with another eg:eating sweets, stuffing youself with food etc:, while this helps in kicking the habit, you then develop another problem - being overweight, diabetes, high blood pressure etc.

There's a famous advert that NIKE has and it says "JUST DO IT", the decision has to happen mentally first, just decide to do it. If believe for you JOHN, the support from this forum should be used to help you kick this nasty, disgusting, tasteless, nauseating habit, you are a great person and that can be seen from the concerns expressed here by individuals on this forum. Think about your daughter/son, if at anytime in the process you believe you have to go back, think about your daughter/son, you are not just doing this for yourself but you do this that you will be around to see your daughter/son grow up, graduate from college, get married and much more.

We are here to help you through this, I have stopped smoking four years now and I feel great. I started exercising since and I have not stopped. "JUST DO IT"

Old 02-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Banned

Anyone ever throw up due to smoking? I throw up sometimes and im not sure if its related to smoking or not. I dont throw up when im smoking, like 15minutes later or so. And its not a nice throw up, its nasty and hurts chest and throat

Old 02-17-2004, 08:38 PM

Nah...

although you may be an exception... but I doubt it.. ........ it's prob. something else ..

Opiates'll make you puke your guts out though.... no doubt..

Old 02-17-2004, 08:40 PM

Shows you how bad it is then, sim. I think it can cause nausea, if your not a regular smoker.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:45 PM

he just said he smoked, Ely

Old 02-17-2004, 08:50 PM

I think if it did actually cause vomiting,,,, there would be very few smokers...

...might be a bit more common for first timers, maybe ...

Old 02-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Banned

I been trying to quit for awhile now. Past month I been really trying to quit. Like smoking 1/2 cigeretes a day untill 2days ago, i almost smoked a whole pack in 2days. I really need to quit. My main problem is I dont know how to quit, well i Do since its all psychological. I dont know what to do when I need a cigerette. What should I do in replace of it. Maybe I should do some exercise to clean out my system from all that filthy black smoke.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:59 PM

um... maybe you should visit the site MissVicky posted back a few days ago.... might have some suggestions in there

I think it's right in this thread somewhere...

Old 02-17-2004, 09:01 PM

yeah... here it is..
http://www.smokersquit.com

Old 02-18-2004, 01:34 AM

It wasn't until about 6 months after quitting that I put any weight on, and that's simply because I started eating a lot more and of very rich foods. Even then I've only put on a stone, and that'll go once I stop being so darn greedy.

Old 02-18-2004, 01:54 AM
Banned

Ah yes. Occasionaly instead of smoking I eat. I can see that happening, eating a lot more when I quit. It will be like I need a cig "no cant have a cig" must eat a hot pocket, yum.

Old 02-18-2004, 02:00 AM

Smoking is physiological and psychological.

All smokers show signs of physical and psychological dependence on nicotine. Their bodies crave nicotine, and they will smoke until their bodies have taken in a certain level of nicotine. Thus, addiction is more a matter of degree. Its not if you are addicted but how addicted you are.

1) MAKE A DATE TO STOP SMOKING

And stick to it. Most people who quit smoking do it by quitting altogether and not by gradually cutting down.

2) THINK POSITIVE

You may find you experience withdrawal symptoms once you stop smoking.
These are very positive signs that your body is recovering from the effects of tobacco. Cough, Irritability, sleep disturbances are some common symptoms.
Don't worry, they're all perfectly normal and they'll disappear within a week or two.

3) CHANGE YOUR ROUTINE

Put your planning and practice into practice. Try hard to change your routine so you avoid the situations in which you know you'll get a strong urge to smoke. The more you change your routine, the easier it will be to stop. You won't have to avoid the dangers forever but just for a few weeks until you have learned to cope better with the urge to smoke.

4) DRINK LOTS OF WATER

Keep a glass by you and sip it steadily- try it with of slice of orange or lemon.

5) GET MORE ACTIVE

This will help you relax. Take the stairs instead of using the lift. Go for a swim or walk at lunchtime. Join a class at your leisure centre.

6) START SAVING MONEY

By putting the amount you would spend on tobacco away.
Work out how much you would have spent on cigarettes per week, month and year.

7) TREAT YOURSELF

Use the money you've saved by not buying cigarettes to treat yourself to something special- a meal out, a new CD or some new clothes.

WATCH WHAT YOU EAT

If you're worried about gaining weight, be extra careful with your diet. Don't snack on fatty foods, try some fruit or chew sugar free gum instead.

9) TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME

Each day without a cigarette is good news for your health, your family... and your pocket!

10) NO EXCUSES

Don't use a crisis or special celebrations as an excuse for 'just one' cigarette. There's no such thing.
One cigarette leads to another, and another, and another.......

Hope this helps a bit. Miss Vicky

Old 02-18-2004, 06:00 AM
Banned

I think they were all right but #10.
#1. my first date was 3yrs ago on new years eve to quit smoking by end of year. then my gf broke up with me in summer so next new years i was still smoking.

so i said i would quit last year befor this year started and didnt.

then this year, i decided i would smoke a cigerette and finish it befor 12:01 and this new years resolution was to quit smoking within 1 minute. I finished the cigerette in 1 minute but i didnt quit smoking.

#2. im not a positive person. you see the ways these guys at this forum treat me. =(. i'll come join your's instead.

#3 i dont like changes

#4. i dont like water, theres no flavor. how bout tea?

#5. i got fast fat burners(forget the name) no need to get more active unless i want muscles.

#6. i want money. i wont be saving much, like 7$/week. my cigs were $1/pack, i even got them as low as 60 cents a pack.

#7. I dont know how to treat myself. i would buy a new comp, then everybody would think i was crazy for having 2 comps in such a small room.

#8. i like italian food

#9. one day at a time is good

#10. its all my fault. or maybe i should blaim my friend for giving me a cigerette when i was drunk.

JAZZE will you go on a date with me if i quit smoking?

Old 02-18-2004, 07:52 AM

1 day at a time is great - you don't sit there and think "I'm never smoking again". You think "I fancy one now, but I'll not have one. I'll see how far I can go today without one." OR similar.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian
1 day at a time is great - you don't sit there and think "I'm never smoking again". You think "I fancy one now, but I'll not have one. I'll see how far I can go today without one." OR similar.
That's the technique I'm using, one cig at a time. I even caved in a couple of time, if you do think of it as a bump in the road rather than the end of the road.

Been 5 weeks now, not so bad.

Old 02-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Banned

I got one cig left, what to do?

Old 02-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim
I got one cig left, what to do?
Uh flush it down the pooper?

Old 02-18-2004, 07:30 PM
No Longer Here