Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 AM
v7n Mentor

The stupidity of a CS major

Majoring in Comp Sci is stupid.

A) I do not want to do hardware stuff, I understand I need to know basic circuitry etc, but this Digital Logic class I am taking (electrical and computer engineering 380) where we actually write hardware code is 100% pointless for the software development I want to go into
B) Calculus and higher level maths are all based on formulas which I can look up and insert numbers to whenever, there is no reason for me to remember these formulas.
C) Comp Sci classes do not do typical computer projects, they use code that is written purposely to confuse me. If I ever got code to debug such as the stuff I see in my CS class at school I would refuse to do it. Code is absolutely horrible and no human being could write it even if they had not the slighest hint of general coding practices
D) Most of the jobs CS majors do are going to be done overseas in 5 years anyway.
E) I`m having a pretty rough semester on terms of grades because of the Calc II and Digital Logic classes and I just felt like ranting.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 05:27 AM

I feel the same way about some of my classes. The first few terms they make us learn basically everything having to do with computers. I don't care how many volts are in the red wire or the yellow wire. And I don't care how EMI works. And I don't care about figuring statistics. And I don't care about the inner workings of a monitor...

I'm in school for programming, but they make me learn all this other junk first.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:43 AM
v7n Mentor

Ummmm... yeah... I'm very glad that I switched majors in college. I lasted about 3 semesters in Comp Sci. I went on to work in IT anyway.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:16 AM
v7n Mentor

Spear, hang in there! All that stupid stuff does pay off. I felt the same way about some of my classes. The bottom line is when you know all that "other" stuff that you don't think you need, you will be able to solve problems and issues with your code that you couldn't otherwise. It forces you to learn how to learn and it gives you knowledge to anticipate problems that others won't. I see it all day, everyday. A lot of that stuff I didn't think I needed allows me to see problems or potential problems that people without that background don't even know to look for. Of course, I chose a degree that was an Electrical Engineering degree that was missing about 3 hours of being a double major with the second major in Computer Science. The combination of hardware and software is really powerful.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltos View Post
Spear, hang in there! All that stupid stuff does pay off. I felt the same way about some of my classes. The bottom line is when you know all that "other" stuff that you don't think you need, you will be able to solve problems and issues with your code that you couldn't otherwise. It forces you to learn how to learn and it gives you knowledge to anticipate problems that others won't. I see it all day, everyday. A lot of that stuff I didn't think I needed allows me to see problems or potential problems that people without that background don't even know to look for. Of course, I chose a degree that was an Electrical Engineering degree that was missing about 3 hours of being a double major with the second major in Computer Science. The combination of hardware and software is really powerful.
I agree, stick with it... The more knowledge you have the better off you will be in the future...

Old 03-01-2007, 03:09 AM

I know we're supposed to be encouraging....but I went through a CSE program and during it and looking back on it now I would have rather been doing something else. The only reason I kept going through with it was because I didn't really care what I majored in, as I didn't plan on getting a job out of college.

If you've got any other interests at school, it's not too late to re-examine your options.

P.S. Business school has a lot of hot chicks

Old 03-01-2007, 09:49 AM
v7n Mentor

I must retract my previous comments... though I'm still glad I changed majors... the job market for IT was very different then. One could still fall into IT like falling into a pothole. Consider me fallen. One would not have such an easy time in today's job market without a CS or IT degree. So, yes, hang in there, enjoy the knowledge, feed your brain, and you'll prosper.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeg007 View Post
P.S. Business school has a lot of hot chicks
Yes, and they all want high-powered expensive husbands with huuuuuge... checking accounts. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Banned

well, that's the life of a student... but once you'll through with it and get an IT/computer job as well, you'll b able to realize that it's worth it somehow...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby