Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-22-2004, 11:37 AM

Making Cell Phone Graphics

Hey, I'm interested in buying one of those fancy new cell phones that have internet access, and I've been going to those sites that offer the graphics and screensavers.

Does anyone know how to make their own? I've never owned a cell phone before (I'm 18 and getting a job soon so i'll be able to afford one). It seems like a waste of money to me to pay for these graphics... they're not that good, and I want to use my own pics/designs as my background and screensaver.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 11:45 AM
No Longer Here
Latest Blog:
None

You should be able to design a picture the size of your phone screen then upload it somewhere. Connect to the internet using your phone and download the graphic.

I don't know about the screensavers.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:52 AM

Thx for the reply. I thought about that, but aren't there special wireless sites or something? Like not regular websites? It would be nice if it was that easy, though. I guess once I actually buy the phone I can start experimenting.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:01 PM
No Longer Here
Latest Blog:
None

I am not completely sure. The only things I have downloaded with my phone are ringers.

Experimenting will probably be your best bet. Although, I am sure there is probably someone here who knows way more than I do about this.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

for my cell phone, i just upload the graphic to my web space then access it on the GPRS on the phone. It's nifty.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:11 PM

I just did some research, and it looks like it might be a little more complicated

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What is WAP?
WAP stands for Wireless Application Protocol. The purpose of this standard is to serve internet contents, services and websites to wireless clients, WAP devices, such as mobile phones and terminals.

What is WML?
WML stands for Wireless Markup Language, and is what HTML is to a web browser. It is based on XML, or rather it is an XML application. Just like HTML and XML, WML is read and interpreted by a browser built into the WAP device. For WAP devices, the browser is commonly called a micro browser, indicating that its capabilities are somewhat limited These capabilities are of course also limited to the capabilities of the WAP device in which it lives.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

And i've heard that websites on cell phones are text-only... but then how do you dl graphics?

If anyone's downloaded graphics, please tell me what procedure you went through... like did you receive a text message, and you click on it and then are prompted to a wireless site where it's downloaded from there or what?

Thanks

Old 03-22-2004, 12:14 PM

Hmm DaveyBoy, maybe it is that easy lol

Old 03-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Graphics to phone is easiest done by using direct connection software.

It's a pack that comes with a wire from USB/COM to the bottom (depending on the phone) of your mobile. It'll come with a complete management suit usually which will allow you to do everything from setting backgrounds and ringtones to updating the software on it.
In the UK, these kits can be bought from from Face-It (Those great phone people I work for! ) for about £30 / £40 depending again on the phone...

Apart from that, there will be sites out there that'll offer you this service, you upload the picture of the right specs (which should be featured on the site) and click send... After you've been ripped off you'll be sent the picture to your mobile as a picture message or MMS message (please ensure your setting are correct if it's a SIM free phone, PM me if you want more information, I'll help you as much as I can.)

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby