Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-30-2008, 04:28 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Drug-addicted - sick or bastards?

Want to ask people from western europe and USA (cause I know the attitude of people towards this problem in the eastern countries): what do you think, drug-addicted (teenagers and not only) - are they sick people or just bastards who are dangerous for the society and who put their lives down themselves? thanks for honesty

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 05:20 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I think the bastards should be people like us, brothers, sisters, parents, elders in society, politicians, teachers. Our youth today dont just learn using drugs just because of curiosity. most of the times they are caused by problems at home or at the society. sometimes people just lack to guide youngsters properly. They are lost sheep I guess that needs people to love them. drug addiction is not a disease that can be cured in a certain period of time by medicine alone....

Old 04-30-2008, 05:30 AM
80 proof graybeard
Latest Blog:
None

Drug abuse is a symptom of other problems.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:06 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabo View Post
I think the bastards should be people like us, brothers, sisters, parents, elders in society, politicians, teachers. Our youth today dont just learn using drugs just because of curiosity. most of the times they are caused by problems at home or at the society. sometimes people just lack to guide youngsters properly. They are lost sheep I guess that needs people to love them. drug addiction is not a disease that can be cured in a certain period of time by medicine alone....

so there is no way out for such people?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:06 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by watley View Post
Drug abuse is a symptom of other problems.
is there a way out for a drug-addicted? if yes, which one?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie24 View Post
so there is no way out for such people?
there are of course hope for people. Rehabilitation centers have been most helpful to a big population of drug addicts. Sometimes it doesn't have to go that far. For me an individuals environment affects him/her a lot. If you live in an environment where drug use is ok, then I guess theres a chance you would be one too.

For me the biggest factor on why people use drugs and how people quit them, is one's family. i think that people use drugs for they can't find anything or anyone else to steam things off. Everyones got a problem right? Sometimes having a poor family affects it, sometimes being too rich as well...

There are hope for them...

Old 04-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Latest Blog:
None

http://books.google.com.ph/books?id=...hl=en#PPA98,M1
a pretty good read about drug addiction

Old 04-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabo View Post
http://books.google.com.ph/books?id=...hl=en#PPA98,M1
a pretty good read about drug addiction

good post, thanks

Old 04-30-2008, 07:41 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Drug-addicted - sick or bastards?
Talking from experience, I have to say both. The sickness turns you into a complete and utter bastard.

I ticked off many people during my 10 year binge. (and ticked off a few since quitting too! lol)

"The Dude Abides..." - Jeff Lebowski

Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Any addiction is an illness. Whether it are drugs, gambling, sex or anything else, as soon as people get addicted they have a medical problem. Mostly it is a psychological problem, but medical nevertheless.

Now as for the cure, this varies from person to person but most of the time psychological help is needed and indeed, as mentioned before in this tread, the circumstances which caused the addiction in the first place have to be addressed and when possible eliminated.

Fact is that a repressive policy towards the use of drugs only leads to more problems for society, all the arguments which made an end to the alcohol prohibition are valid for all other drugs' prohibition. The laws targeted towards drugs and drug users are far more damaging for society than the drugs itself if they were legal.

Down here in my part of the woods drug use is legal and possession of small personal amounts is legal too. Do we have more addicts per capita than say, the USA? No, far less. Do we have more users than say, the USA? No, again, far less. Do we have more drug related crime? No, far less. In my country you won't see ads on TV telling people not to do drugs, you do find ads telling people to be careful when they take certain drugs and explain how they can be dangerous when being abused, this makes people much more careful with drugs than simply prohibiting it, and people take drugs anyway, they have been doing this since the dawn of time.

Another fact is that the vast majority of drugs users have no problem at all in any way with their (occasional) drugs use, just as most people do drink alcohol on occasion but are not alcoholics, most drug users are not drug-abusers. Only a very small percentage of the millions of people who use drugs get addicted, mostly because of extra factors in their social life which have nothing whatsoever to do with the drugs themselves, those people use drugs just as other addicts use sex, alcohol or gambling in a self-destructive manner for reasons stretching beyond the items they abuse.

In short, personal circumstances lead to addiction and is just another form of mental illness, whether it are drugs, gambling or any other addiction, the substance is just a vehicle used to escape the real issues which lead to self destruction.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLab View Post
Talking from experience, I have to say both. The sickness turns you into a complete and utter bastard.

I ticked off many people during my 10 year binge. (and ticked off a few since quitting too! lol)
hi, I posted this lead from my experience too, but I finished well (clean and clever ) how old are you?

Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre View Post
Any addiction is an illness. Whether it are drugs, gambling, sex or anything else, as soon as people get addicted they have a medical problem. Mostly it is a psychological problem, but medical nevertheless.

Now as for the cure, this varies from person to person but most of the time psychological help is needed and indeed, as mentioned before in this tread, the circumstances which caused the addiction in the first place have to be addressed and when possible eliminated.

Fact is that a repressive policy towards the use of drugs only leads to more problems for society, all the arguments which made an end to the alcohol prohibition are valid for all other drugs' prohibition. The laws targeted towards drugs and drug users are far more damaging for society than the drugs itself if they were legal.

Down here in my part of the woods drug use is legal and possession of small personal amounts is legal too. Do we have more addicts per capita than say, the USA? No, far less. Do we have more users than say, the USA? No, again, far less. Do we have more drug related crime? No, far less. In my country you won't see ads on TV telling people not to do drugs, you do find ads telling people to be careful when they take certain drugs and explain how they can be dangerous when being abused, this makes people much more careful with drugs than simply prohibiting it, and people take drugs anyway, they have been doing this since the dawn of time.

Another fact is that the vast majority of drugs users have no problem at all in any way with their (occasional) drugs use, just as most people do drink alcohol on occasion but are not alcoholics, most drug users are not drug-abusers. Only a very small percentage of the millions of people who use drugs get addicted, mostly because of extra factors in their social life which have nothing whatsoever to do with the drugs themselves, those people use drugs just as other addicts use sex, alcohol or gambling in a self-destructive manner for reasons stretching beyond the items they abuse.

In short, personal circumstances lead to addiction and is just another form of mental illness, whether it are drugs, gambling or any other addiction, the substance is just a vehicle used to escape the real issues which lead to self destruction.

THis is the best answer I guess! I was in Amsterdam ) So shall the countries make drugs legal? Like marijuana was made legal in Holland?

Old 04-30-2008, 10:25 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie24 View Post
hi, I posted this lead from my experience too, but I finished well (clean and clever ) how old are you?
Chronologically, I'm 45... physically I'm 102... lol

"The Dude Abides..." - Jeff Lebowski

Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Cannot agree more to you Ferre.

I'm living in a so called 3rd-world country and drug addiction here is quit rampant and destructing.

In my personal view, addiction is more of a psychological sickness that needs medication not by useful drugs itself but by treating the person through self-reflection, self-realization, self-esteem improvement, and whatever you can call that to treat him from being an addicted to some sort of self-killing drugs.

And just like what others have just mentioned too, they are not bastards themselves! They may be, but evaluate first the reason why they turn to be like that. They're pity little bastards in a sense coz what they need is help not denouncement or rejection from people. People that pushes them to be bastards.

But at the end of the day, it's always them [addicts] who can treat themselves. No one can help thy self unless ones' self.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:12 AM
v7n Mentor

Drug abuse and addiction can happen at any time. A relative of mine in her mid 40s had everything (or what people often define as "everything"): children, a big beautiful house, acres of land, a doctor husband, money flowing from every orifice, etc. One day I heard she was arrested for writing bad checks and forging her husband's signature for pharmeceuticals. It had been going on for years. Then it came out that she was hooked not only on painkillers, but also on heroin. Shocked, her huband divorced her and took legal possession of the children. He had no trouble doing it. She has since experienced the revolving door of rehab. But I've lost touch. The last I heard her husband had remarried. No one in her family saw this coming. She was often held up as the example to follow. A literal tsunami breakdown. Well, things happen I guess.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3n!ss3_gÜrL View Post
Cannot agree more to you Ferre.

I'm living in a so called 3rd-world country and drug addiction here is quit rampant and destructing.

In my personal view, addiction is more of a psychological sickness that needs medication not by useful drugs itself but by treating the person through self-reflection, self-realization, self-esteem improvement, and whatever you can call that to treat him from being an addicted to some sort of self-killing drugs.

And just like what others have just mentioned too, they are not bastards themselves! They may be, but evaluate first the reason why they turn to be like that. They're pity little bastards in a sense coz what they need is help not denouncement or rejection from people. People that pushes them to be bastards.

But at the end of the day, it's always them [addicts] who can treat themselves. No one can help thy self unless ones' self.
hi, where do you live?

Old 05-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewomack View Post
Drug abuse and addiction can happen at any time. A relative of mine in her mid 40s had everything (or what people often define as "everything"): children, a big beautiful house, acres of land, a doctor husband, money flowing from every orifice, etc. One day I heard she was arrested for writing bad checks and forging her husband's signature for pharmeceuticals. It had been going on for years. Then it came out that she was hooked not only on painkillers, but also on heroin. Shocked, her huband divorced her and took legal possession of the children. He had no trouble doing it. She has since experienced the revolving door of rehab. But I've lost touch. The last I heard her husband had remarried. No one in her family saw this coming. She was often held up as the example to follow. A literal tsunami breakdown. Well, things happen I guess.
did anyone tried to help her in any way? Perhaps she wasn't pleased with her life, did she work herself and not only her husband? I think a woman should work no matter how much money is in the family......

Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Latest Blog:
None

sick. if you know drugs are bad for you, why would you ever wanted to take them? they can relax for awhile but not for your whole life. so if you get addicted to it...its too bad for you. better quit now before it turn you life to a oppsite side.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlh35 View Post
sick. if you know drugs are bad for you, why would you ever wanted to take them? they can relax for awhile but not for your whole life. so if you get addicted to it...its too bad for you. better quit now before it turn you life to a oppsite side.

yes but sometimes teenagers are unaware of the consequences and hell they can get into! it's awful...

Old 05-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlh35 View Post

Actually there are a lot of things, for either adult or teenager, in this world that are bad for us yet we still do them. Cause it makes us happy. Things such as smoking cigars and drinking booze. But I do agree that it is better to quit than to suffer long term consequences.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Closed Thread