Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Longevity: Golden Fleece or Curse

A hypothetical question for ya all, bare with me please , it takes some explaining.

Imagine it was possible to inoculate an individual and thus extend that person's life indefinitely. (There are those working on this already so don't scoff!). The major problem is that the planet will reach its limit in due course. With a population no longer curbed by death its growth would be virtually unchecked, accidents and illness would be the only limiting factors.

So my question is, who gets the injection?
  • If its everybody, then we have a global population running rampant with all the problems that would entail.
  • If only those that could pay for it, then the rich will not only get richer but live longer too, and presumably get even richer cos they tend to keep a hold of their money. How long before Madame Guillotine is dusted off again?
  • If only the good and the deserving, who will decide who the good and deserving are, and will their family and friends also benefit?
My preference would be the good and the deserving who have made a substantial contribution to humanity and the world. (I know full of waffle type terms. My real preference is for everybody that wants it to be given it, but that seems impractical).

Who gets to live forever! Your thoughts interest me

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 03:44 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Is nobody interested in real thought these days

Old 08-03-2008, 09:09 AM
80 proof graybeard
Latest Blog:
None

Sadly, I think the debate would be moot, because the inoculation is such a valuable prize that nations would go to war for it. There's no way it could ever be distributed according to strictly ethical, moral, or logical considerations.

That said, I don't think it's such a boon. I wouldn't volunteer for it. We are mortal creatures, and our entire mindset is geared around this inevitable progression. Changing that would require truly fundamental shifts in thinking. One examination of these implications can be found in Heinlein's Time Enough for Love.

To take another example, a classic Chinese story:

Quote:
"A nobleman once asked a philosopher to grant his family a blessing. [He] thought for a moment, then said, 'Grandfather dies, father dies, son dies.' The nobleman was horrified, but the philosopher shrugged his shoulders. 'What other way would you have it?'"

Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by watley View Post
That said, I don't think it's such a boon.
My thoughts also. The only way I could think it useful to the species would be if we had begun to colonise space, the finite land constraints would be thus lifted. But as you say there is the human mind to consider also.

I do believe a longer life span would change our idea of what is important, perhaps bringing with it a greater perspective, but I do not know if it would be a good thing or not. Would a longer productive life span bring greater satisfaction, more chance to experience life to its fullest, or just lengthen our suffering? Would a longer period of fertility mean we would have children when we are best able and thus raise children better, or would we just have more partners?

I need to talk to a Giant Turtle.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:18 AM
80 proof graybeard
Latest Blog:
None

We can't even think of the full implications. The Heinlein book above posits some reactions for a man who's lived two thousand years. That's a tremendous time, but still within our cognitive grasp - there's some cultural and linguistic continuity. Imagine ten thousand years. A hundred thousand? A million? Could you even remember everything? Would you still be human?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Latest Blog:
None

The change over the last hundred years has been quite staggering and its only likely to increase.

Did we become human when we first walked upright? To see rivers change their course, mountains crumble, continents move, civilizations come and go? Perhaps we would be more than human or at least a different kind of human. Children see only that which is in front of them, adults see the long term. What are we if we have lived through the past?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby